Rod Weight.

sholgate

sholgate

I feel like a real dunce for asking this but ...

Does the rod weight limit the size of a fish that you can land? Most trout streams that I fish I only use 5 - 6X tippets but I have landed a few good sized fish (24") on that size tippets.

What all does a rod weight limit?

Because flyfishing is the act of delivering a weightless fly using the fly line the Rod must be matched to the line delivering the fly. Or vise versa.

Most of typical flyfishing for trout involves fly sizes or weights that are easily delivered with a 3-5 weight line. Use a lighter rod weight and you may struggle with casting. OR a heavier fly with a 3-5 wt and you may struggle. Thats why heavier line weights fit "bassy" flys like clousers and wind resistant flies.

That said, Most any trout under 20 inches can be easily handled with a 3-5 wt rod (again designed to deliver the fly). A smaller line weight rod being more limber and with less backbone may struggle to land a larger fish. And, 3-5 wt rods may struggle with trout larger than 20".

Its a sliding scale with flex variables and stiffness.

So expecting to land 20" plus fish with a two weight, bad.

Steelhead with a four weight, bad.

Even though you may be able to deliver the desired fly with the under classed rod.

HEre is a quick guide and often rod makers gear their rod catalogs toward this end to help anglers pick out their products.

1-2wt. = Small wild trout, panfish
3-5 wts = Trout up to 20" typical catch.
5-7 wts = Large trout, steelhead, Bass
8-12 wts = Steelhead, Salmon, saltwater fish.

But all the hooplah in the Trout catagory refers to feels and fight knowing that they likely will handle the terminal tackle. Once you depart the trout catagory it becomes a question of whether you can land a fish or come home with a splintered piece of plastic.

Knowing that overgunning a fish can bring them sailing over your head on the hook set or result in a fish skipping the surface once you bring him to the top.

HTH,
Maurice

One other factor Maurice didn't mention is atmospheric wind conditions. Any wind above about 8-9 mph is going to begin to play with the cast somewhat on 3-4 weights, I believe, whereas, the winds might need to hit the mid to upper teens to play havoc with a 5-6 weight. When I fish for trout in calm conditions, I prefer my 3-weight. On windy days or bigger water, the 5 weight is more to my liking.

Landing the fish is more dependent upon tippet strength than rod-weight, though I do think you will work your muscles more than the rod if you are catching trout too big for the rod you are using. I have landed larger trout on my 3-weight, but if I expect to only catch large fish or to catch them frequently on a water, I will go up for the extra rod strength. But, I will also likely go up on tippet in that instance as well.

Rod weights are more about castability. Heavier rods handle heavier line better. Heavier line is easier to cast farther, punch through wind, throw heavier flies, etc. Rod weight is more typically about the cast than the fight.

That said, the fight can come into play. Some people like really light rod weights for brookie fishing because the fight feels better. Likewise, at Erie, 6-8 wt rods are common despite small open streams where a 4-5 weight rod is more than sufficient for the cast. The reason is the fight, lighter rods often don't have the backbone to pull steelhead around against their will. Thats not to say a 4 or 5 wt won't work and you can't land a fish, but it'll take a bit longer, which equates to more time fighting and less time fishing, as well as more lost fish.

Generally, tailor the rod to the casting positions. Where you want to change up for the fish, do so for the average fish, not the exceptional fish.

You've got nothing to worry about if your hooking fish and landing fish on 5X and 6X tippet. A heavier rod, one that is stiff will help you land them faster, but you limiting factor is tippet size not the weight of the rod.

I found that my 5 weight fenwhick is a no go in erie. I couldnt even move 3 hens that were about 28" and bigger. I just bought a redington 8 weight combo wich should help budge the tankers. I have landed steelies with the 5 weight (1 being 29.5" and 9.5lbs) but i dont think a lot of the guys dont like me up there because i had to "run" with the fish. lol

I love the way steelhead and trout over 16" feel on the lower weight rod though, but in the crowds of erie i wanted to get the bigger rod.

Not to highjack the thread but here is one for the "gurus" on here:

Does rod length add to the ability to fight fish. I did break almost 8" off of my fenwhick so my action is not as good as it was new. Does a 9' rod have more umph than an 8' rod. Just curious

If you do it correct, the rod is a lever, ergo the longer it is the more pressure you're able to exert with less effort.

gfen wrote:
If you do it correct, the rod is a lever, ergo the longer it is the more pressure you're able to exert with less effort.

Agreed. I have landed some pretty nice fish even on a Tenkara, BUT they are 11-12' long.

Thanks for "weighing in" all. I am trying to decide between a 4 wt and 3 wt 11" for nymphing. I think I will trust and go with the 3wt. I rarely catch fish over 20" anywho. I will take my chances with the lighter rod in favor of sensitivity.

I'm not so sure the 3wt would have increased sensitivity. It might be a little softer, but I usually find stiffer rods to be more sensitive. Delicacy and feel fighting the fish, as well as the ability to fish slightly lighter czech nymph rigs would probably be the benefits of the 3wt IMO.

Mike,
Again it depends on the action of the rod, whether it is stiff or noddle will determine how well you can fight fish. If you use a noddle rod, one that is a slow action rod, you will have trouble fighting fish and you WILL exhaust fish to the point of killing them. Now I have no objection to killing Erie Steelhead, because they will make more of them, that's what the licence is for. But if your intent is to release fish, then a faster action rod is more appropiate. Where the length comes in is when you fight large fish the backbone of the rod determines the rods suitability for fighting. Simply the backbone is longer on a long rod so you will have an easier fight with a longer rod because you have more leverage.
Try landing a large steelhead on a 7.5 foot rod, even if it is a 6 weight or 7 weight you'll have trouble. Really it is all about leverage.

sholgate wrote:
gfen wrote:

Agreed. I have landed some pretty nice fish even on a Tenkara, BUT they are 11-12' long.

Thanks for "weighing in" all. I am trying to decide between a 4 wt and 3 wt 11" for nymphing. I think I will trust and go with the 3wt. I rarely catch fish over 20" anywho. I will take my chances with the lighter rod in favor of sensitivity.

I assume you mean 11' 3wt or 4wt. I vote for 4wt. As Jay stated, there is no gain in "sensitivity" between 3 and 4 weight of identical brand/series of rod. I assume you chatted with Aaron on this. What did he say?

jdaddy wrote:

I assume you mean 11' 3wt or 4wt. I vote for 4wt. As Jay stated, there is no gain in "sensitivity" between 3 and 4 weight of identical brand/series of rod. I assume you chatted with Aaron on this. What did he say?

I did. I fished his Greys 3 wt 10' on the Farmington River and did quite well. I did loose a few monsters but not because of the rod. I liked it a lot but haven't been willing to shell out the cash, even if it is only $300 or so dollars. The few rods I do have are TFO and Tenkaras. (And on a side note, very happy with both.) I guess you could say I am a low budget fly fisherman.

Oh, I emailed him and he recommended waiting for the newly designed Greys 11'. I may actually spend the money and go to Somerset and check them out. Who knows.

Again, I appreciate hearing from all of you. I sift through this stuff and soak it in.

I've tried bouncing splitshot with a hook attached on the bottom with two rods, now. One is the 10' 3wt Greys, the other was a 10' 5wt TFO Teeny.... The TFO has better feel.

I don't profess to know or care about this style of fishing, or which is better, but when it comes to feel, the Teeny takes the Greys.

sholgate wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

I did. I fished his Greys 3 wt 10' on the Farmington River and did quite well. I did loose a few monsters but not because of the rod. I liked it a lot but haven't been willing to shell out the cash, even if it is only $300 or so dollars. The few rods I do have are TFO and Tenkaras. (And on a side note, very happy with both.) I guess you could say I am a low budget fly fisherman.

Oh, I emailed him and he recommended waiting for the newly designed Greys 11'. I may actually spend the money and go to Somerset and check them out. Who knows.

Again, I appreciate hearing from all of you. I sift through this stuff and soak it in.

Should have told me you were looking. Those Streamflexs have been clearing out for around $170. Check around.

Sounds like Gfen is gonna sell his any day.

If I were into fishing splitshot crimped on hooks, you might be right.

Fortunatly, I am not. Still not used to the tippiness, but that'll come in time.

gfen wrote:

Fortunatly, I am not. Still not used to the tippiness, but that'll come in time.

I don't think I understand that statement, but ...

I do build a heavy nymph now and then. :)

And if you are selling, I may be interested.

sholgate wrote:
gfen wrote:

I don't think I understand that statement, but ...

I do build a heavy nymph now and then. :)

And if you are selling, I may be interested.

Understanding Jerry is just not something to strive for imo.

jdaddy wrote:

“The greatest gift is to give people your enlightenment, to share it. It has to be the greatest.” - Siddhartha. Now stop ruining the beginner forum.

gfen wrote:
jdaddy wrote:

“The greatest gift is to give people your enlightenment, to share it. It has to be the greatest.” - Siddhartha. Now stop ruining the beginner forum.

sholgate was fishing before you were born. beginner that.

Siddhartha was 35 when he achieved Enlightenment.

Point?

Back