Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Question about if I can keep the fish or not

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
We have unspoken ethical codes as well. You don't get a fine or anything if you violate these, but it's not likely to make many friends.

1. Fishing over actively spawning trout is frowned upon. Browns and brookie spawn in the fall, rainbows sometimes in the fall and sometimes in the spring, depending on the stream and the population's origins.

2. Fishing over fish stacked at a coldwater refuge is frowned upon. Sometimes, in warmer rivers in the summertime, trout stack up at the mouths of cold tribs. This is generally considered unsporting.

3. Fishing for trout in overly warm waters is frowned upon. Oxygen is sparse in warmer temps, so even fighting a fish may ultimately kill it. Everybody's mark is a little different, but most are in the 70ish degree range. Keep in mind that water temps vary by time of day. It's not unusual for a bigger stream to be 65 in the morning and 73 in the afternoon. For the most part, we don't fish these streams unless we know it's gonna get a LOT warmer and you might as well harvest the fish anyway.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 14:50

From Philadelphia PA
Fishing at a hatchery is frowned upon as well. It will get you a ticket or introduced to Jailmates.

If there are other fly fisherpeople in the area - introduce yourself and ask if you can join in the area or how far (distance wise) one should be from them before casting. And never cut across someones fishing area.

If you deep hook a fish, best not try to remove the hook. Cut your line as close to the mouth opening as possible. The hook will eventually work itself out - and by cutting the line close - it wont get caught on debree.

Posted on: 2013/8/19 16:18
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Philadelphia PA
Fishing the day they are stocking is frowned upon as well. I caught someone at PennyPack doing just that. I told him he needed an I.D. 10 T (idiot) form in order to do that. He felt that since he was just catching and releasing it was ok...DUH!

Posted on: 2013/8/27 9:26
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Lots of people do that. Heck, go to some streams on stocking days and it's literally packed.

I personally think it takes something away from the fishing experience. Prefer to let the crowds die and the fish spread out a little more naturally. But I've never heard anyone say it was "frowned upon" from an ethics point of view.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 10:25

From Philadelphia PA
I am not talking about opening day....I'm talking about prior to when they stock like 3 days to 2 weeks before the season begins.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 14:23

Well, that's not "frowned upon". That's illegal. ATW's are closed for pre-season stockings.

In-season stockings, however.....

Posted on: 2013/8/27 16:18

From Philadelphia PA
PCRAY: Where I mostly fish at Pennypack Park it is more or less just frowned upon. Although it is illegal as you say - it happens and I never see anyone getting ticketed for it.
Once the season starts and they stock - that's a different story all together.

Purposely killing a fish simply because it is not the species that you are currently fishing for is also frowned upon in my book.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 9:07

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:

Your question is actually pretty complicated.

Actually it's pretty simple. Rather it is the answer that becomes so convoluted.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 23:34

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com