Practice

Stagger_Lee

Stagger_Lee

So now that I have some knowledge on the sport .. when I have a lil free time I am going to practice casting in my yard, technique & comfort as well as some target practice.

My question is; when I finally head out to the water, as someone who hasn’t fished, what should I practice? I don’t want to overwhelm myself with 10+ different things to work on.

What would you guys recommend, when I’m at the local lake/or creek the first few times, as the important aspects to work on to get comfortable with fly fishing?

I would recommend two things. First casting timing. Get your 10 to 2 timing down and let the rod do the work. Slow yourself down. Too many people cast very fast and that makes timing tough. Second, start to understand "drag". Use large dry flies for top water and a strike indicator for subsurface. Don't worry about fly selection because if you are uisng the right fly but it is dragging (unless its a caddis) you won't get a fish. If you cast and drift drag free, you very well could get takes on any fly you choose.

My two cents, now I need to go to the bank.

Don't laugh, but learning how to wade quietly and effectively.

Most people trod into the stream like a buffalo and spook every fish within 200 feet and if you spook them you can't catch them. The better wader you are, the less fish you will spook and the closer you can get to them. More opportunities at closer distances ultimately means higher success rates.

What does 'drag' mean?

Think I will start on the shore and purchase some waders in a few months. I do get the spooking aspect as that is something TheOutsider (Kirk) spoke a lot abt on Sat when I was with him on Sat.

Drag is the unnatural pull of the line/leader against the fly by the current. The idea of a drag free drift (as explained by Foxgap) is to have the fly moving at the same rate as the bubbles in the current. Thats the easiest way for me to conceptualize it anyway.

Easy to know, harder to put into practice. For most purposes: if you cast upstream(ish), lift your line off the water as it comes toward you. The leader generates much less drag than you fly line. The more you fish, the easier it gets.

Stagger_Lee

I know you were bombarded with a lot of information on Saturday, tough to digest it all.

Think back to when I showed you a drag-free technique for fishing nymphs and dry flies. Remember how I held the rod high while fishing a nymph and following the rod tip with the drift? One of the things I emphasized was imagining the fly as if it was not connected to a line, just drifting freely with the flow of the water.

Once again, tough to digest and retain all that info for someone new to the sport. Practice and observation. I'm pretty sure you can find a video on Youtube if you search for nymphing techniques.

Just keep asking. As you can see from the responses above, there's a lot of help on this board.

Drag is unnatural movement of the fly by the tension of the line, whether it's caused by the current, the fisherman, or both. A drag-free drift is when the fly acts like it's not connected to a line in any way.

Overall, it's probably the toughest obstacle to fly fishing, not just for beginners, but the best of the best are merely a little better at it, but it's still a problem. And it's one reason streamers/buggers are so popular with beginners. Baitfish swim, hence, by pulling them in the water you are intentionally adding drag.

But with dry flies and nymphs and other stuff "in the drift", generally you want drag-free. There are 2 real enemies to this game.

1. Cross currents. This is when you're fishing across stream. Current speed varies between you and the fly, quite often you want the fly in slower water that's beyond the faster water. Faster water grabs the line, and pulls the fly.

2. Lip currents. One way to try and avoid drag is to cast upstream. But lots of times that means standing in the tail or the riffle below, and casting to the slower middle of the pool. Water speeds up as it approaches the tail, pulling the line faster than the fly should move.

Couple of tips.

1. For cross currents, you will always eventually get drag, but you can increase the amount of drag free time per cast by letting slack in the leader during the cast. There are many ways to do this. For a beginner, the easiest is probably to aim for a spot 3 or 4 feet ABOVE, as in straight up, from the target. Leader straightens in mid air, then just hold the rod, and it'll recoil a little before hitting water. As it recoils, that's the leader collapsing, and just let it fall to the water with s-curves in the leader. It'll take the current a few seconds to straighten out those curves, and that's your drag free time.

2. You should also learn to mend. This is when you get that C curve between you and the fly, pick the line up and throw it back upstream of the fly, trying not to do it so hard as to move the fly. When the line is in faster water but upstream of the fly, you have a drag free drift for a while.

3. There are a variety of more advanced casts. Aerial mends, curve casts, slack leader casts, parachute casts, etc. When you're ready for em, ask, but I wouldn't recommend attacking these just yet. Get the basics down.

4. Leader construction is extremely important.

5. Longer tippet helps with drag some. Also, if it's "micro-drag" (effect of current on leader, rather than fly line), finer tippets help too.

6. For most of these, there's a trade-off between avoiding drag and accuracy. Meaning, the casts and leader constructions which help you avoid drag also hurt accuracy. Which is more important is situational, hence the reason for so many different casts and leaders.

7. A great trick is an anchor. If rocks or logs stick out of the water, cast over them and lay the fly line on them. You've effectively shortened your line, all that matters is any drag between anchor and fly, which is closer to the fly and hence less change in currents. On small streams on a curve in the stream, often there's rocky banks. Use em to avoid lip currents, don't cast up the water, cast over the bank into the pool!

Sorry for writing a book! I'm done now. :)

@outside – Yep remember you discussing that a lot but I don’t think I asked you exactly what drag was even tho I remember you discussing the drag-free technique numerous times … Doing some reading and youtubing last night will have some questions for an experienced fly fisher when I hit the H20

@pcray – I like your book .. more info for me to look up. Picked up LLBean Fly Fishing Handbook so it will be good to cross reference with your terminology ... good stuff

Back