Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Planning the 2012 Newbie Jam

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Interaction between instuctors and spectators is being emphasized.

In my mind, at least, this is the driving factor behind the format.

These are big topics, you could literally spend a whole day on any of them. Give an instructor a rigid 20 minutes to lecture, and he naturally tries to cover too much ground. You end up a mile wide and an inch deep. And for a given spectator, half of what's covered may not even interest you, and the time and leeway isn't there to request more details on a specific aspect.

We're trying to be more open than that. We have spectators of various skill levels and different interests. The more flexible we can be, the more everyone will get out of it.

Instructors have total freedom to teach as they see fit. They can set up a lecture if they choose and communicate a schedule for their area. But me personally, I'm not preparing a lecture. I'm preparing to discuss whatever I may be asked to discuss within my topic.

My topic is small mountain freestoners. I am preparing info on finding them (maps and lists and all that fun), gear choices, leader construction, fly selection, reading water, tactics, casting (including hands on), etc. I don't expect to go through all of that with any one group. Some of it I may never be asked to cover. But I expect a group to come by and maybe want me to go into detail on how to find the streams, and I'll pull out the lists and maps and show em. Then maybe another group who wants help casting in tight places, and we grab a few rods and step out into the yard.

And other spectators may never come to my station, because fishing small mountain freestoners doesn't interest them. And that's fine. If I had a rigid 20 minute slot, I'm wasting their time, and preventing them from learning more about something they do care about. In this format, I'm not wasting their time, and those who do care about my topic get more individual attention.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 8:28

From South Lebanon Township, PA
I really like the sound of your station pcray...that's my favorite kind of FF probably, only rivaled with big WW stream Smallie fishing maybe. Just from your posts and pictures, I think we probably enjoy fishing a lot of the same kind of streams, and I'd love to see how our tactics compare...Wish I could be there but my weekends are all but used up until mid-April. Maybe we'll get a chance to fish together at the Jam or otherwise this year.

To anyone going (or thinking of going) though, I would definitely recommend taking the time to check out this station. Once you know what you're looking for, you'll find that these kind of streams are more plentiful than you think and offer very rewarding fishing experiences IMO. pcray's posts on this kind of fishing are top notch and I'm sure his presentation will be too.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 8:44

Thanks for the vote of confidence Swattie. I was less trying to advertise for my station, though, and more kind using it to explain the format, which is admittedly a little confusing. Including instructors who are currently starting to prepare.

I think the format also gives more leeway for future growth. This year, 8 topics. Next year, we could get 10, and so on.

Yeah, there's lots of people I'd love to fish with on the board and haven't yet. You are definitely near the top of the list. I'd love to fish with you. In the last few years, my fishing time has been a little more at a premium. Quality over quantity, I'm having to make my few getaway's really count. This year will be even more in that direction with the newborn.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 9:02

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Yeah...wasn't my intent to pull or draw anyone away from any of the other presentations, which I'm certain will be top notch as well given the presenters. I think a lot times guys think that small mountain freestone fishing only exists in the NC, but in reality it's pretty accessible in just about every corner of the state...within an hour or so's drive anyway. Main point was to not rule it out just because you think you don't live near any mountains!

PM coming on the fishing part.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 9:10

From Bethlehem
I will also be attending. Hopefully I will have 2-3 people with me as well.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 10:00

From Downingtown
Hey Guys,

Literally brand new to the site, found you guys after doing some exhaustive research on fly fishing, gear, flies, tactics, casts, you know - the whole bit. Needless to say, lots more to learn - so mark me down, possibly plus one for this event!

- Jimbo

Posted on: 2012/3/7 11:07

From North East PA
Welcome!

I only started fly-fishing in January and one of the earliest things I did was join this forum. You'll find this to be a great bunch of people who are very willing to help with any questions.

Dave

Posted on: 2012/3/7 16:22

From Philadelphia
Quote:

Jimbo87 wrote:
Hey Guys,

Literally brand new to the site, found you guys after doing some exhaustive research on fly fishing, gear, flies, tactics, casts, you know - the whole bit. Needless to say, lots more to learn - so mark me down, possibly plus one for this event!

- Jimbo

Welcome Jimbo. Dave is right, great bunch of guys who will answer your questions and get you on the stream if you ask nice and don't be mean like Dave! JK, Dave

Posted on: 2012/3/7 16:27

From North East PA
Hey Jimbo - Did I qualify my statement and say MOST of the people here are really nice?

Posted on: 2012/3/7 16:30

From Souderton PA
The format does seem to be the only way to make this work, and HA and Pcray have obviously put a good deal of thought into it. It might be a good idea for each presenter to bring a small sign letting participants know the theme a presenter is planing to cover. Basically advertise to try and bring customers into your station. I heard rumors that the leader station will have free jerky

Posted on: 2012/3/7 22:22

From Etters,Pa
Great cuz I have some questions about jerky....I mean leaders.

Posted on: 2012/3/7 23:37

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

FrequentTyer wrote:
It might be a good idea for each presenter to bring a small sign letting participants know the theme a presenter is planing to cover.

Already done.

I also have name tags for the instructors.

I swear, I'm not OCD.

Jerky? I'll be stopping by your table, just uhhhhhh, to check up on things.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 7:32

I really think the leader station should be right next to my station. :)

Posted on: 2012/3/8 7:40

From Dauphin
I'll be stoping by yours pcray. So that makes one

Posted on: 2012/3/8 11:25

I didn't mean it for the visitors. I meant I want some jerky!

Posted on: 2012/3/8 19:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com