Penns Creek

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

I’ve been fly fishing for a few years, and recently got a coworker into it as well. We have decided to take a trip to Penns Creek and are staying at sundational campground from June 1st-3rd. I’m wondering if anyone could help us out with a little info on the creek? Are there any “better” places to go or is the whole creek pretty good. I was up a few years back for the green Drake hatch and the fishing was awesome, just wanted to know if anyone had any advice at all. All comments are very much appreciated!

There's a great deal written about Penns Creek here on our forums, including several fairly recent threads. If you haven't already done so, take some time to read through these (please don't re-fresh old threads, just read them).

I'm not a Penns regular but will offer a few basic points based on my own experience. Penns can be moody. I was there about a week ago under absolutely ideal conditions: nice flow with clear water, overcast skies with drizzle....and I couldn't buy a fish. No bugs except a few craneflies. I was disappointed. Will I be back? You bet!

Some basic points about Penns in my opinion:
~ It muddies up easily and doesn't fish well after a significant rainfall (usually).
~ The Green Drake hatch is a good time to stay away from Penns (usually).
~ The different sections seem to fish about equally well. I like the water up around Coburn more than the old special reg water downstream.
~ Penns gets warm in summer and I stay away during summer heat waves.
~ Lower Penns is a great bass fishery.

Thank you, I haven’t been on the forum for a while and appreciate it. I looked earlier for some older threads and only found 2, I’ll have to do some more digging!

Just curious - where is "sundational" campground?
That's a new one on me

Most people consider the best section to be from Coburn downstream to the mouth of Cherry Run, which is above Weikert.

That is many miles of water, and all of it is good.

There can be good fishing both above and below that section too, though, and some people like fishing those areas because they are less crowded.

Just curious - where is "sundational" campground? That's a new one on me

It is in Millville about 30 minutes from the feathered hook in Coburn. They are right on Penns Creek. Luckily I was able to get a waterfront spot along the creek for my camper when we go up.

I’ll add their website: Sunsational Family Campground

FlyMaster99 wrote:
Just curious - where is "sundational" campground? That's a new one on me

It is in Millville about 30 minutes from the feathered hook in Coburn. They are right on Penns Creek. Luckily I was able to get a waterfront spot along the creek for my camper when we go up.

I’ll add their website: Sunsational Family Campground

You're in a good area. As Troutbert mentioned above, the most popular area is the special regulation area which ends just upstream from your campsite. You can fish near your camp but a 10 minute drive upstream will put you into prime water.

Get back onto Creek Road > Trails End Road and make a left onto Weikert Rd. In a mile or two you will see Penns Creek Angler fly shop on your right. Stop in there to buy tackle and/or ask about fishing conditions, hatches and flies.

Continue on Weikert Road until it eventually turns into narrow dirt road and ends at a small parking lot. There is a gate there where the road ends and you can walk the trail along the creek. It's all good fishing in that section. If you keep walking a little shy of 3 miles you'll end up going through Poe Paddy tunnel.

As you drove in you passed Cherry Run road on your left. The road follows Cherry Run Creek a wild brook stream that a great side trip from Penns to fish in itself.

Check with Penns Creek Angler for up-to-date info and you should have a great fishing trip at Penns. Post a report. Good luck fishing.

There is one riffle in particular that I love this time of the year in "the project." It is so fun to nymph. Everyone above has offfered good input thus far. On a different note, don't neglect the water farther upstream near Spring Mills, either. It is certified Class A all the way to Spring Mills. The benefits of that water upstream is that you will find less serious fishermen but more guys loading a stringer tossing power bait around. Also, the water up there feels more like a spring Creek where as downstream it turns into more of a limestone influenced stream offering more riffles, etc. Penns is basically a fine stream everywhere but I prefer from Poe Paddy down the best. The upper reaches I tend to find fish rising much more consistently. If you are staying downstream below the project then that is roughly where I'd fish if I were you.

Back