Penns Creek-help

sipe

sipe

I drove up to penns today and enjoyed the fishing despite the wind. However, I really was lost as to what to do for action. I started fishing s tandem nymph rig with a fairly large (10) hares ear up top and a little flashbacks pheasant tail about 18" below it. I added weight and know I was bouncing along the bottom. I fished most of the day with some variation of the same setup substituting wetflies as my bottom fly and various generic nymphs as my top fly (prince, etc.). There were LOTS of small dark caddis hatching, sometimes in large swarms. Often I had them all over my shirt. I never saw a fish rise today despite so many bugs.

I threw some streamers to prospect but never turned a fish. If you were on Penns this time of year and no fish were rising in these conditions, what would your rig be? I was fishing about 4' of 7x tippet off of about 5' of tapered leader. I was using a large foam indicator ...toothpick style. Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Matt

When the Grannoms are hatching a lot of times a leadwing coachmen wet fly will work or some soft hackles will work

I was up there and I'm a fairly good nymph guy and I could not get them on nymphs. I had great success on top but not on the bottom. My guess and I could be full of do-do is that the water was low enough that they were looking up and fed on top and when not feeding on top were resting. For what it's worth, anyway.

Also, when fishing two nymphs, is it ok to tie off of the bend of the top fly?

I have been tying off of the bend of the top fly for the past couple years. A lot less tangle than tying droppers off of your leader

I do too and agree many less tangles

When we were nymphing this weekend my point fly was a PT and my trailer was a black caddis wet fly. My cousin used the same set up, we caught many fish before the hatch started.

Sipe,
Don't get discouraged.
Wild trout streams - an esp Penns in my experience - can really be on again off again. It wouldn't surprise me if you returned to that section and did exactly the same thing and caught fish. Sometimes, I think, on streams like this where there's so much food the fish just don't eat some days because they're literally full. Bright sunny days are often "off" days too.
This unpredictability is part of the mystique of these legendary streams.

On streams like Penns where bugs get big, do you guys ever fish really big nymPhs? Do you still fish midge nymPhs and tiny flies too? I turned over some rocks and found some giant yellow stoneflies.

Yes, use big stonefly nymphs. You can get some good fish.

Penns is tough. It's possible most of us would have been skunked, so don't get too down. Just some thoughts, though.

1. 7x very likely overkill. Err, underkill. When nymphing Penns, I've never had to go below 5x, and 4x is most common for me. Not that this hurt your fishing, though, just makes casting bigger nymphs a little tougher and you lose a few more to rocks and such.

2. I would have probably put the wet flies as the top fly first, not bottom. Those are the ones you want up in the water column.

3. I'd probably have tried to figure more things out with the wet fly/caddis angle since they were showing in abundance. Keep trying different stuff till something works or you run out of stuff to do. Different parts of the water column, different swings and actions, etc.

4. Agree, big honkin stonefly nymphs is often my Penns Creek go-to when all else fails, it usually gives you a fish or two to avoid the skunk.

5. When striking out, cover water. If nothing is happening where you are, that doesn't always mean it's not going on somewhere else. Especially when caddis are showing in abundance, fish somewhere are actively feeding, go find em. Maybe if you get a shaded portion, or a sidewater eddy, or a place protected from the wind. Walk, throw a cast here and there, and keep your eyes PEELED for subtle rises and underwater flashes.

6. When you do all that and still get the skunk, nod your head to the stream and appreciate that fickle bee-atch.

I have been going with a large weighted yellow stonefly nymph - woven body and a smaller #16 nymph - pheasant tail, caddis, etc. tied off the bend. Don't get up there much but am experimenting with some very simple yellow/brown variegated chenille stoneflies with rubber legs. Have had limited success with the stonefly but good luck on the small nymph. As others have said, Penns is just tough. I fish when I have the time but if I could be more selective I would make all my trips there on dark, cloudy days maybe even with a little rain mixed in. When the sun is out, it's even tougher. try to fish in places where there is shade over the stream. Don't be afraid to fish fast water either. Tough to wade but it can produce. I don't think you need th 7x especially with nymphs. You must be losing a lot of flies with that.

I was losing a lot of flies, but I went to the 7x when I wasnt getting bit early. Perhaps I should chalk it up to a learning day, and maybe I was actually fishing an OK strategy but just hit it on a bad day.

I'm headed back this weekend and may get to fish a little longer.

I used to be a brown trout in Penn's Creek. Here is what we did: we had so much food, that we did not waste a lot of time or energy being where the food is scarce. Thus, during festivals of nymphs, like early season or pre-hatch, we used to move into the riffles and pocket-water just below riffles. If we were going to bore anglers by feeding beneath the surface, we would always, always move into shallow riffles with nearby deep-water refuge. This way, if some Jaboney FFer revealed himself to us, we could dash away, dash away all until he moved along. Now, when the abundance of food is floating, different story. Those times are like having your own personal valet: find the most comfortable spot, crack a proverbial beer and eat all day long at one's leisure.

-- Former Penn's Creek Brown Trout.

LMAO.....Great Post!

JackM wrote:
I used to be a brown trout in Penn's Creek.

-- Former Penn's Creek Brown Trout.

sipe wrote:
I drove up to penns today and enjoyed the fishing despite the wind. However, I really was lost as to what to do for action. I started fishing s tandem nymph rig with a fairly large (10) hares ear up top and a little flashbacks pheasant tail about 18" below it. I added weight and know I was bouncing along the bottom. I fished most of the day with some variation of the same setup substituting wetflies as my bottom fly and various generic nymphs as my top fly (prince, etc.). There were LOTS of small dark caddis hatching, sometimes in large swarms. Often I had them all over my shirt. I never saw a fish rise today despite so many bugs.

I threw some streamers to prospect but never turned a fish. If you were on Penns this time of year and no fish were rising in these conditions, what would your rig be? I was fishing about 4' of 7x tippet off of about 5' of tapered leader. I was using a large foam indicator ...toothpick style. Any feedback is very much appreciated.

Matt

From Leader to last tag of tippet

Caddis emerger>Copper lined flashback PT> Granny weave golden stonefly

The serious undercurrent of my post is that fishing whatever flies you choose in the right location in the stream may prove to be the difference in catching a few and catching a lot. Now my former species would be angry if I gave too many details. I have already said enough.

Oh, I caught the serious undercurrent in your post, Jack. It was the spot on humor that was as good as the underlying advice that got me laughing.

Right location, right fly, proper presentation is what the great mystery of fly fishing is. Especially when fishing a pressured stream.
That's why newbies like me need the dumb fish to help us learn the techniques. Not to mention all the great mentoring from the members here.

JackM wrote:
The serious undercurrent of my post is that fishing whatever flies you choose in the right location in the stream may prove to be the difference in catching a few and catching a lot. Now my former species would be angry if I gave too many details. I have already said enough.

For what its worth, I fished 4X all day. Nymphs, wets, Drys. Your gonna go broke nymphing with 7X.

Back