Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Outfished by baiters

From Philadelphia
I'm in agreement with pray and krayfish. I'm a big fly fisherman but there's times where spin fishing is the ticket. Example i was out yesterday on my local stream and as much as I wanted to break out the fly pole I knew what kinda day I was gonna have with the spinning equipment, considering the stream was just starting to become fishable. Had a 60+ day and then went out for a few hours again this morning and was over 30. Not to say I wouldn't have caught fish with flies but no where near the numbers I had with spinning equipment. On the flip side I've had it happen the other way around where I had my fly gear and was catching almost 5-1 against the spin guys. Depends all on conditions. Right now with high flows and colder, murky water you'll most likely do better spinning.

Posted on: 4/2 17:26

From LV
Did you try a crane fly? If not you should, I fished it a couple of times last year with crane flies, and out fished the baiters.
BTW flies aren't always the best choice, during the early going on stocked streams.

Posted on: 4/2 17:49

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
I think the best way for someone who has been spin fishing their whole life to switch to fly is to use streamers. its like using a rooster tail. once they get hooked to the fly they will then go into learning the hatches and what stages of the life cycle a bug is in. proper nymphing and how much weight is needed. identifying flies and the best time to target the hatch.

Posted on: 4/3 0:57

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
The only reason I started fly fishing is because fly fisherman were completely out fishing me in the same sections of stream. It made me so mad. One of the fly fisherman told me that the trout will ignore my minnow all day long when there's a hatch going on. I had no clue what a hatch was so I started researching. I grabbed my Dad's never used 5 weight and caught a brown on a march brown nymph the next weekend. Game on since!

That's pretty much how I started. It's true that there are situations where a good minnow guy will bury any fly fishermen. But that fly fisherman didn't lie. There are times when the trout will ignore it. One such time happened repeatedly on Oil Creek. I took my dad's seldom used fly rod and switched. I did catch one, but musta had 100 hits. I wasn't so good at managing line!!! But that started the obsession.

For a while I continued as mainly a bait guy, as there are more times when the bait will outfish the fly on any given stream. And that's true, on any given stream. But when you hit it right, fly fishing was more fun, and more successful. And at some point I figured out that you could fairly accurately predict when and where it was gonna be right. Fly fishing makes you start tailoring your fishing schedule to fish's schedule, and that step led me to a much greater understanding of fish and their ecosystems and cemented an obsession.

Posted on: 4/3 9:33

From Lilly, PA
Trout will also vary along a stream. I fished Spring Creek for several weeks when I was just starting into fly fishing. If a hatch was going on - I skipped that hole. They would still take minnows in the faster water though. I also did fairly well on flies a couple of evenings after I figured out what flies to use.

Posted on: 4/3 11:56

From South Central,PA
Today I went out to try the stockies...I fished nymphs and eggs for about 3 hours and caught two fish. I switched flies all over the place trying to find the ticket. Eventually I had a purple woolly bugger with dumbell eyes about size 8. I actually tied this fly from marabou I got off one of the kids boa/scarf thingy...it was falling apart and I salvaged pieces for tying. It's a crazy looking fly but "what the heck" I hauled in 5 fish one after another. Brooks, browns, and rainbows. I swung it, stripped it, drifted it, even had one fish try to hit it in the air on my back cast. The sixth fish was big and took it. I'm going to the basement to tie more right now!! Change flies often. Today streamers were it. Had I not tried that fly my day would have been ok, but nothing spectacular. Change flies often!

Posted on: 4/3 21:26

From Crawford County
Every year on the first day of trout season I fish the same spot and it's the same guys every year around me. We all have fun and do a "fly guys" vs "spin guys" competition, last year spin guys won as water conditions were terrible, years past though fly guys have won by a pretty good margin. That being said, hang in there and get out with Polky or someone else who can show you the ropes, I fished for a couple years trying to learn on my own before someone showed me the ropes one day and something just clicked for me. That one day increased my catches by triple I'd guess.

Posted on: 4/4 1:18

From danboro pa
yea I know what you mean, I often think about my about my 11' 6'' noodle rod,and pulling nice fish out when no one else was.i really want to remove my indicator this year and try to get back to feeling the bottom again.but anyway,i don't understand it my self but I have just as much fun fishing all day with my fly rod and not evan caching a fish,as I did with the noodle rod.

Posted on: 4/4 8:05

From Ardmore
It took me three years to reliably catch trout on a fly rod. I was so frustrated I almost took up golf.

Here's a suggestion, and seeing how you're from Stowe, this is something that could really work out for you... The Valley Forge Chapter of TU holds a fly fishing school near Downingtown every year in May. This year it's on the 18th. That's the Sunday after Mothers Day. For $60 you get a complete immersive experience into fly fishing the flies, the bugs, casting, everything from really good instructors. You get a book that covers all the content from the day and you get three meals, too. It's a really great bargain.

Check out our website for more: www.valleyforgetu.org

Posted on: 4/4 11:52

From New Castle, PA
Are you sure you were even casting over areas that likely held fish? You can be fishing over an area that is loaded with fish, but the specific spots you are casting to held no fish. Reading the water is important, more important than fly selection. Now can be the most difficult time of year to locate fish if you don't already know the contours and features of a section of stream. Strong spring flows and green water tint can hide features that attract fish. Not fishing where fish are actually holding is the number one mistake I see others doing. It is why one guy can be getting shut out and the next guy 50 feet away is hooking fish one after the other.

It could be that the bait fisherman knew that section of stream well and were hitting the exact spots were fish were holding.

Posted on: 4/4 20:19

From Monessen, PA
My choice to fly fish has nothing to do with catch rate. I am a better fly angler than I ever was a bait angler, but that is because I try harder and use dry flies as often as I can.

Posted on: 4/6 8:14

From Stowe
Thanks I will keep trying until I catch a Trout. I just find it as fun to practice casting than catching right now. Or just stick with nymphing since that hasn't failed me yet.

Posted on: 4/6 22:19

From West Chester,PA
Lonelyflyman.I have 2 suggestions
1)I fish the Matawany once a week until June 1,so pm me and I'll go out with you and give you some pointers.

2)The most knowledgeable person fishing this steam is Rick Nyles at Blue Sky Anglers.He's a very nice guy and also a good teacher.You might want to contact him about a combination a lesson with some stream knowledge thrown in

Posted on: 4/7 14:51

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com