Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Nymphing

From South Jersey
My buddies and I went for or annual Spring trip. We have been doing this for over 25 years. This year we fished in the Spring Creek area. Because of the rains Spring was blown out. We then explored the area for some smaller mountain streams in hopes of finding clear water and wild trout. We had some success on Six Mile Run with a mix of wild and stocked trout. As luck would have it we ran into Charlie Meck who spent close to an hour giving us some great advice and suggestions on local waters. He is a great guy.

I have never been very successful with nymphing and was determined to learn some of its secrets. I noticec Charlie fished a big hairwing dry fly aand a small nymph. I did the same for the next three days and finally caught some trout on nymphs.

My thanks to Charlie Meck for his kindness.

Salmo

Attach file:

jpg  P4290027.JPG (37.84 KB)
2421_4dcbce30157e2.jpg 448X336 px

Posted on: 2011/5/12 8:09

Re: Nymphing

From Northampton County
i didn't have much success in my 1st 3 years of nymphing untill this year. One day and older guy i would say in his 60s saw me and he knew i was struggling. He came over and asked to see my fly box i told him im using this pheasant tail. He says to me oh yeah thats a great nymph for right now one thing ur not doing right. You have to get the nymph down to the bottom to catch fish. I didnt have sink tip line so he gave me a tiny split-shot and told me to try fishing now. 4 casts later i had a trout he said his job is done and walked away. Since then ive been killing them. I though the tiny bead would be enough to get the fly down but in some cases its not. Thanks that guy for teaching me that.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 14:18

From Harrisburg
how far up the line do you put the shot?

Posted on: 2011/5/12 14:55

From Northampton County
i usually put mine on the loop where i connect my tippet to my leader that way it doesnt slide or move. I would say i have about a foot or 2 of tippet.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 15:25

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Position of the shot is not critical, 6 inches to 2 feet is probably fine. Play with amount and position of weight as well as the depth of your strike indicator (if you use one) until your can feel/see that you are ticking the bottom on most drifts. You don't want to be snagging bottom every other cast, but if you aren't getting snagged every 20-30 casts you aren't getting deep enough. Yes you will lose some flies, but you will also catch some fish -- a fair trade-off IMO.

Posted on: 2011/5/12 16:36

From SEPA

I always did 4", but a very complex mathematical forumulae composed by jdaddy told me it was 8".

Posted on: 2011/5/12 22:06

From Eastern PA
8.5"

Posted on: 2011/5/12 22:57

From South Jersey
6 inches.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 11:30

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's never constant for me.

Placement of shot is something you can adjust some based on conditions. Moving it closer to the end is akin to adding a little more weight, moving it farther is akin to taking off a little more weight. It's how I make slight adjustments. That said, it only works for slight adjustments, at some point you actually have to put more on or take some off.

Another thing. With no indi, I like to keept he shot fairly evenly sized, and if they do vary, I put the heaviest closest to the fly. With an indi, I tend to put the heaviest shot nearest the indi, maybe starting halfway, and progressively go smaller as I go towards the fly. With an indi, I'll often also put a small shot right under the indi just to get that line going down.

For deep nymphing with no indi, I use a LOT of weight. More than I need probably, and compensate by lifting the fly off the bottom some when I need to. The reason is I'm lazy and don't like changing, and I also think it helps keep a tight line.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 11:35

From State College PA
A few other very important things (weight amount and placement the other).
1. Know the difference between where your indicator is and where the fly is and how weight affects this.
2. Get to know the difference between laminar flow where the current is faster on top than the bottom and choppy/disturbed flow and how to fish those situations.
3. learn long line nymphing and how to manage line across two different currents.
4. never be afraid to let the flies hang down below you and give 2-3 slow, small strips
5. (this is under rated, but very important) Tie your own flies. This way you won't be afraid to lose a fly to the bottom.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 19:49

Quote:

salmo wrote:
My buddies and I went for or annual Spring trip. We have been doing this for over 25 years. This year we fished in the Spring Creek area. Because of the rains Spring was blown out. We then explored the area for some smaller mountain streams in hopes of finding clear water and wild trout. We had some success on Six Mile Run with a mix of wild and stocked trout. As luck would have it we ran into Charlie Meck who spent close to an hour giving us some great advice and suggestions on local waters. He is a great guy.

I have never been very successful with nymphing and was determined to learn some of its secrets. I noticec Charlie fished a big hairwing dry fly aand a small nymph. I did the same for the next three days and finally caught some trout on nymphs.

My thanks to Charlie Meck for his kindness.

Salmo

It is called a dry dropper. He gave you a nice gift. I hope you took notes.

Posted on: 2011/5/13 23:34

A little over 7". Oh, and I put my splitshot about 6 inches above my fly. Heh it was too easy

Oh, and dry dropper is probably one of the best things god gave to the earth. Dry dropper dropper is another great one :) hahaha

Posted on: 2011/5/13 23:58

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

From Easton,Pa.
I thought the beades also were enough to get them down low enough,this spring i learned to use splitshots and an indicator,i caught more fish this spring then i did all last season.

I tied on a hares ear then tied a beaded pheasant tail nymp to that about 16 inches some wght and i been catching fish finally.Thanks to Ben Turpin for teaching me that.

Posted on: 2011/5/15 19:38

From Delaware River
That's how I learned; Through Ben Turpin! Where did he take you RRiz?

Posted on: 2011/5/15 22:30

From Easton,Pa.
Big Bushkill.... What i learned from him in a half day,I have not learned in a year on my own. I am in the Bushkill every evening if the conditions are good. Fishing with Ben again on June 1st.

Posted on: 2011/5/16 12:25

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com