Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Nymphing help!!!

From Central, PA
Thanks a bunch guys... This has been very helpful and amusing. I enjoy the humor! This fly fishing thing has really taken over lately and Im truly thankful for the opportunity to learn from a big group of people. I went out after work to a nice stream today, it was blown out. San juan worm got stuck and lost and it was extremely windy. I used some of the earlier advice though and thought that it seemed a little better. I will definitely try all the others advice as well. Hopefully I will get to the point of landing a lot more fish. Am I fishing them or are they fishing me???

Posted on: 2013/3/12 20:19
down, down, down
between beams
to the gloom room
among the seaweed and the slime
Down, Down, Down
Melt

If I could sum up nymph fishing in one sentence it would be:

Keep as little line as possible between your rod and your fly without impeding the drift (no drag).

However, if you are fishing a nymph at a distance of i.e. 20 feet, you may want to have some slack line to compensate for currents. You have to learn to mend the line with more line on the water. And if you cast upstream, follow the line with the rod tip, retrieving line as it drifts downstream.

Start short and extend your casts further as you learn.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 21:56

Quote:

outsider wrote:
And if you cast upstream, follow the line with the rod tip, retrieving line as it drifts downstream.

An edit to my last post: When I say retrieve the line, I specifically meant strip the line in with your hand, not reeling in the line.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 22:19

From Phoenixville Pa
check this out. Great stuff in here. Should be able to answer most of your questions.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons

Posted on: 2013/3/13 6:43

From Portage, PA
If you keep your line taught enough and tip high enough you should have no trouble with hooking them.

As stated before if you are not getting hung up your not fishing deep enough. I am going to get ahook file soon to keep my hooks sharp while they take their beating.

I enjoyed Aaron Jaspers DVD's he makes things easy to follow and even shows you how to tie patterns and leaders. A great teacher.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 11:53

From Philadelphia PA
I like to keep my rod tip down, following to the side and fairly tight when I'm nymphing. Sometimes when you feel the tag it maybe to late. I also nymph with an indicator or either a dry fly or floater.

Phly - send me a pm and we can hook up sometime at Pennypack Park or any of the Fairmont Park systems.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 12:56
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Portage, PA
Penny,

Is this a style of upstream nymphing, and are you focusing on the end of your fly line to detect movement? I find myself doing this on some deeper holes.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 15:22

From Philadelphia PA
Mike: I cast upstream and keep my line fairly taunt as it comes back down the river. I am left handed and follow the line with the tip until it gets to a certain point where it starts to swing. Once it starts the swing I retreive it and cast up river again. I do sometimes watch my flyline tip to see if it stops or darts forward. It also depends on current conditions. Slow moving is easier to watch the tip and see the take. I recently was trout fishing in MO and for the most part I used a indicator. I did around 3 hours without the indicator and did get a few trout, but lost several. I felt that I lost those because of the delay in the take and when I felt the hit they were able to spit out the nymph. Also, my reaction time is a little slower during the winter/early spring months because of it being cold.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 16:48
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Monessen, PA
Prizes awarded:

Attach file:

jpg  nymphing.jpg (73.10 KB)
12_5140ef233be2a.jpg 695X599 px

Posted on: 2013/3/13 17:27

-- Leo Tolstoy

From South Jersey
I usually nymph using a dry as an indicator. But if you do not want to do that Dave Rothrock taught me to tie a length of yellow leader near the end of the leader where it ties to the fly line and watch the yellow for movement.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 19:31

Salmo

From Philadelphia PA
Jackm: Please explain .....I don't understand what you submitted....Did you let your 2 year old have some fun on this forum topic?

Posted on: 2013/3/13 20:38

From Monessen, PA
I was inartfully attempting to show varying degrees of slack that can be in the line and leader while nymphing. Lots of slack can mean less drag, but you will rarely detect a hit. This seems to me to be the reason people like to fish with bobber-indicators, because slack above the indicator become less significant and it is easier to control slack below if you are experienced using the float. However, as with many things, I have no idea what I am talking about.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 6:39

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Chester County
My advice to the OP is to attach an indicator at around 2X the water depth and work on getting you fly down using the proper amount of weight and drifting the indicator drag-free through a run or pool.

Here is a link with rigs and techniques for several methods of nymphing including "high sticking" and the "Leisenring lift" and swinging wets.

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

For those looking to try Euro style nymphing without an indicator, here is a link showing different rigs and techniques used for Euro nymphng:

http://www.bluequillangler.com/site/e ... _nymphing_techniques.html

Posted on: 2013/3/14 8:14

From Portage, PA
I have started using the high viz yellow mono from suffix and attatching my flouro/tippet to that. I like the visual key you can get from that. I just picked up a 10' 4wt as well to aid in the slack line. Hoping this will increase my success without using the indicator. I do like the up stream nymphing these days as well. WIth the longer rod you should be able to cast upstream and lift you tip to eat the slack.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 14:27

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I picked up some good tips from youtube. Search "European style nymphing techniques". There are some good videos that can help. I agree that if you don't feel your fly bouncing off the bottom you aren't deep enough. I don't cast very far. If my casts are over ten feet they are long. Instead, I make short casts and try to guide/drag my nymph(s) through the run. Finally, I use two flies tied in a tandem style rig. I hope this helps.

Don

Posted on: 2013/3/14 21:01

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com