Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Nymphing IRL

From Lewistown, PA
I've really been working on nymphing for the past year or so, and sometimes I don't feel like I'm making much progress. I even read "Dynamic Nymphing," and don't feel like I gained much from it.

Most of my nymphing is indicator nymphing, done with a thingamabobber or a stick-on indicator (for more stealth). I have also tried the dry-dropper rig and had some success with it, but use it less frequently because it's a pain to rig up, and tends to get tangled.

I am also aware of techniques like czech nymphing, and high stick nymphing, the goal of which is to maintain a direct connection between the nymph and the rod. I haven't had success with these techniques, because I find it difficult to get close enough to fish to use them.

I have also tried simply casting a lightly weighted nymph as i would a dry fly and watching for my line to twitch. I've caught sunnies in a stream doing this, but never trout.

I don't really know any other fly fisherman, so haven't been able to watch someone fish a nymph. I just go by what people tell me, or what I see online.

So what I'd really like to know is: What techniques are most successful nymph fishermen using? Does anyone really Czech nymph on a regular basis? Is it even possible to catch trout at a distance without using an indicator?

Posted on: 2013/9/30 21:29

Re: Nymphing IRL

From Ferguson Twp.
I live in Statecollege, if you wish we can get out and do some fishing. It's easier than it seems to get that close and catch fish, just a few key things to know and do. Drop me a pm if you want.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 22:14

Speaking of State College, nymphing seems to be the go-to method for Spring Creek. I pick up a few there on dries, but I know I'd be more successful if I'd go underwater.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 22:27
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Tyrone
Take lv2nymph up on his invite. He can help you I am sure.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 23:04

From Lancaster
Jeremy,

I totally agree with gfoledc. That is a great offer and opportunity for you to fish with lv2nymph. I'm sure you would take a lot away from spending some time with him on the stream. He is a great guy and a real solid nymph fisherman. Good luck!

Posted on: 2013/10/1 6:21

From Lewistown, PA
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
I live in Statecollege, if you wish we can get out and do some fishing. It's easier than it seems to get that close and catch fish, just a few key things to know and do. Drop me a pm if you want.

Oh right! You offered to show me a couple spots once before. I kind of forgot. Lol. I'll definitely have to look at my schedule and send you a PM.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 6:58

From Bucks County
You can fish at distance without an indicator if you fish directly upstream and retrieve the line quickly enough to keep it realatively taught. However, an indicator works just as good if not better at distance. Czech nymphing works best in deeper runs and pools where you can get pretty close. If the water is clear and the fish will spook, you will need to be stealthy and sight nymph to th w/out an indicator looking for the fish to open its mouth or make a quick motion towards your nymph.

Posted on: 2013/10/2 20:07

From Ligonier
Being new to nymphing as well, I have completely done away with using an indicator (bobber). I'm finding much better results concentrating on tight lines and presentation. The indicator gave me a false sense of all-is-right with my presentation - when in fact it wasn't. Additionally your leader doesn't get twisted, kinked, etc.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 15:28

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I feel the same as firefox. I had some level of success with indicators (Thingyamebobbers) but did much better without the indicators high sticking with a tight line. I always make sure I am at or on the bottom. My philosophy is if I don't get snagged on the bottom, I'm not deep enough.

Don

Posted on: 2013/10/9 16:20

From Philadelphia PA
One day an indicator works great and the next it does not. It is all part of the science or art of fly fishing. I like to use a dry fly as an indicator...this gives the fish two choices (top/bottom) and the dry fly is less to spook when it hits the water.
One of the most important things in nymphing is getting the nymph to tick bottom or strike zone. When water is really deep....i'm less apt to use an indicator because of the difficulty of casting with 5 to 6 + feet of line between indicator and nymph.
With nymphing without indicator you rely on feel mostly by keeping your line fairly taunt. Waiting to see your line stop or feel the tug.. many times by the time you set the hook the fish has already spit the nymph out.

Make sure there are no knots between indicator and nymph. For me the strike rate is much poorer when I have Wind knots ( or I screwed up) in-between indicator and nymph.

Although some nymphs are good all around...matching the current hatch in that local may lead to more successes.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 7:10

Edited by PennypackFlyer on 2013/10/10 7:29:06
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Quote:

jeremymcon wrote:

I am also aware of techniques like czech nymphing, and high stick nymphing, the goal of which is to maintain a direct connection between the nymph and the rod. I haven't had success with these techniques, because I find it difficult to get close enough to fish to use them.

Fish that way when the water is up and a little off color and where the water is broken, i.e. in rocky pocket water.

When the water is very low and clear, nymph fishing is tough.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 10:26

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Jeremy, if you feel like you are getting to close to the fish, try fishing directly upstream and wade cautiously. Line control is a major thing to work on fishing that way though. I will be honest and I am not trying to get in an argument, but if you have the chance check out a comp. Just to watch those guys nymph. You will learn a lot and in no way ever have to become a comp angler. It really is something worthwhile to check out.

Que Trolls.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 20:00

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From South Central PA
SBecker said;

Quote:
but if you have the chance check out a comp. Just to watch those guys nymph. You will learn a lot and in no way ever have to become a comp angler.

I agree. No matter what your attitude regarding competitions and where and when they are held, the fact is these folks have put in a great deal of time, thought, money and experiment refining nymphing probably more than anything else.

And since Jeremy lives in Lewistown, he is just around the corner from a comp on Kish creek scheduled for late October. Not sure where on Kish but maybe someone could clue him in. In fact, if he hosted someone for the comp he would likely get lots of personal attention and get more than if he paid big bucks to TCO or FFP for a lesson. Get permission from girlfriend first of course.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 8:51

From Ohio
Something you may want to consider is pre-rigging your dry droppers. Tie some up before you hit the water at your house, when you can sit down and tie good clean knots, and you can store them in one of those cheap clear adjustable compartment plano boxes. Once on the stream just clinch knot the dry and you are good to go.

Tie some with short, some with medium, and some with long droppers.

It will save time and frustration on the water, and its an excellent tactic to have at your disposal, but when standing in the middle of a river, its a pain to rig up.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 9:41

From Lewistown, PA
Thanks for the tip about the competition on Kish creek. I would never have known it was happening. Can I just go and watch somehow? I feel like it would be hard to watch a competition on a stream... I'd definitely like to figure out where it will be held, and if I can go watch it.

Posted on: 2013/10/11 19:44

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com