Nick on flyline

J

joeyd71

Went out today, and I had to call it quits a little early.

I use an automatic reel (because it's the only one I have) and SOMEHOW the line got wedged in some of the inner workings of the reel. So It ended up with a nick on the flyline, about a foot and a half from where it meets the leader. Should I- Cut it and reattach leader? Ignore it? It's not that bad of a nick, but it has a few frays of flyline material. Thoughts?

Ignore it unless it becomes a problem where the line sinks; or you can see the core. Then cut and reattach your leader.

Get a tube of Loon UV knot sense and put a little dab on the nick. I would think if you can see the core of the line you might want to try to seal it with something.

Your line will definitely sink after 15 mins of fishing. Doesnt sound like the core has been damaged, so you dont have to worry about your line breaking. Talking from experience, the core wicking water and sinking SUCKS.

I should note that I cannot see the core of the line at the spot of the nick. I guess I will just use it the way it is and hope for the best.

I had the same thing happen to my line, about 6 ft in. I showed afishinado and he just sealed it with 2 part epoxy.

Take a dab of Zap a Gap and a damp paper towel. Put the Zap a Gap on the nick and then pull the line through the damp paper towel to level it out. Don't pinch too hard - the line should slide gently through the paper towel.

Back