Newbie Here from Bucks County

P

Pat

Folks, glad to here. Life long fisherman and have decided to give Fly Fishing a try and really looking forward to it. I live in Bucks County along the Delaware River and spend most of my summers kayaking from Yardley to Trenton. Most of the time I venture to the islands on the river looking for smallies. I just purchased my first Fly Fishing rod which is a 5wt TFO Left Kreh Finesse combo which came with a Cabela's Pretige Plus reel. Looking to practice my casting on the river and than start to explore some of the streams that this beautiful state has to offer. Someone mentioned that Hickory run state park is only about a hour and a half away and has some nice streams. I look forward to meeting everyone and learning alot.

Welcome Pat!

We seem to be getting a ton of Bucks cty folks here in the Newbie forum.

Live in Nthhpton twsp (5 mins from Newtown) and almost purchased a number of homes in Yardley. Also picked up (last month) LeftyKrey Finesse and love it. Can I recommend ..

paff-instructional-jamboree--aka-newbie-jam

many thanks Lee!!! Great to have a nieghbor on here. Thanks for the instructional get together. That sounds like a lot of fun with some great lessons. I will certainly keep that in mind. Hope to meet at some point down the road!!!

Welcome Pat, this is a great site and you will learn a lot on here.

thanks for the warm welcome!!!!! Have already learned a lot from just reading over some of the other posts!!!!!

Welcome aboard Pat, it's a good place to be. I noticed that you had said you were looking to practice casting on the river. I'd like to suggest practicing on the grass and getting your timing and stroke down before dealing with currents while at the same time figuring out your new fly rod. Just a thought.

Thanks for the advice and practicing first on land is probably the right call!!!!!!!!! Appreciate it!!!!!

Don't forget to put a leader on first, you can even tie a little piece of yarn on the end of the tippet. Good casting.

Welcome aboard Pat. I'm also a newbie from Bucks (Levittown). This site is very active and there are a ton of helpful folks on here.

Good luck with your new obsession!

Pat, I am fairly new on this site as well. And also from Bucks County. I have a few guys I have been teaching tying. You should come join us sometime. As a matter of fact this week we will be tying bucktail streamers. Which can be great smallie flies as well as trout. IE black nosed dace, mickyfinn. In the warmer times we practice casting as well. Let me know if you would like to come some time.

Gencon

Welcome aboard Pat,

Also a fellow bucks county neighbor. I'm in Warrington. a couple other places to think about are the little lehigh and Valley creek.

Maybe I'll see you at GenCon's one of these Thursdays. I keep threatening to go one of these times.

Welcome Pat. As one of the presenters at the Instructional Jam (aka Newbie Jam) on March 16th, let me personally invite you to join us for that event. It is free, it is fun and you get to put faces with screen names. There is an incredible amount of knoweldge on this board along with varying personalities but don't let that scare you. I have yet to meet one that won't help out. Enjoy the ride. Caution though, this type of fishing can get habit forming.

pat wrote:

many thanks Lee!!! Great to have a nieghbor on here. Thanks for the instructional get together. That sounds like a lot of fun with some great lessons. I will certainly keep that in mind. Hope to meet at some point down the road!!!

Pat ... there is another (or more) guy from our backyard but the names slip me right now. He also hits the Delaware in our area for SMB and other WW species. Im all for hitting that up as I a like meeting new people to fish with ... on a selfish note I also appreciate receiving knowledge on the quality places holding fish;-). We'll try to get a few of us to meet up when the spring/summer comes around.

I grew up near the river and fished it as a kid, it's pretty good fishing. The fishing has improved since then and is quite good at times. A kayak is perfect for the 'D'. I can't sugest any places to fishexcept around the mouths of the tributaries are usually productive.
As for Hickory Run, it's not to bad a drive depnding on where you are in Bucks, but getting on the TP at Quakertown is your best bet, get off at I 80 and take that 1 exit west. That's about an hour from Qtown. Take 534 south and you'll be there in another 15 minutes. Very good fishing most of the warm weather months.

Hay Pat, I too am from Bucks Co. ( Penndel). Welcome to a life long learing curve.
Sean

sroch and pat, FYI. we are chenging our tying day this week to Fri. Do to Thurs. being Valantines day. If either decide to join us. shoot me an email.

gencon

Welcome to the jungle, Pat!

There are a great bunch of people involved with this forum and you will learn a lot by reading and posing questions here.

If you can make the newbie jam, certainly do so. If something prevents you from attending, just mention where and when you plan to fish and you may find someone willing to meet and assist you.

The advantage of the newbie jam is the concentration of talented instructors in one place. And you'll never beat the price! Free.

Welcome to the board Pat. I strongly recommend the instructional jam in Allentown. There will be highly experienced teachers who will improve your casting along with everything else.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!!!!!

Back