Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

New to the forums - Looking for some SW PA water

From Johnstown, PA
Hello everyone! I am new to the forums and just wanted to introduce myself and see whether anyone can advise me on some good fly fishing water nearby Johnstown, PA. Not sure about where to post everything on this forum yet, so if I'm making a mistake please let me know! Anyway, I am trying to figure out a stream with some good hatches around here in the next couple months. Any advice is welcome, and glad to be on the forum. Fly fishing is my favorite!

Posted on: 5/1 17:42

Re: New to the forums - Looking for some SW PA water
From Gettysburg
Welcome Beagle,
A good place to start your stream search is the "Where to Fly Fish" link in the upper right side of this page. You may also care to scroll thru the Stream Reports forum which lists waters by stream name and county.

Posted on: 5/1 20:43

From Johnstown, PA
Thanks! I did browse there for a bit after posting this and it seems that there are not very many waters close to me being discussed here. Maybe I will have to start a trend :) I'll take another look, and the reports section definitely sounds interesting!

Posted on: 5/1 21:52

Welcome. I like the net handle. I have a Beagle that has a mind of his own. He's a rabbit chasing fool.

Posted on: 5/1 21:53
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Johnstown, PA
So is mine, except he can't seem to circle the freakin' things for me... he's a little pain but he's my little pain lol. I am taking my wife on a day trip to the Loyalhanna tomorrow. I want to fish the DHALO section but I don't know if she will use flies or not. She always wants to use wax worms, so I may end up fishing above that section unfortunately.

Posted on: 5/1 22:34

My Beagle is pretty good at bringing the rabbits back around. He's slow, so that's most likely the rabbit circling. I like that he's slow on the trail, it keeps him out of harm's way.

On the worms, check out sandfly's butter worms in the fly tying forum.

Posted on: 5/1 22:58
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Quote:

psychobeagle12 wrote:
So is mine, except he can't seem to circle the freakin' things for me...

Beagles don't do anything special to circle the rabbit. The circling is all on the rabbit. The rabbit has a home range when he gets to the edge of his range he circles to stay in side his range. If your hound is chasing something a mile out that does not seem to circle it is probably a deer. I say seem because the deer will circle too, its just a much bigger circle.

Posted on: 5/2 9:04

From North East PA
Welcome to the Jungle!

Posted on: 5/2 18:46

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Johnstown, PA
Quote:

shortrod2 wrote:

Beagles don't do anything special to circle the rabbit. The circling is all on the rabbit. The rabbit has a home range when he gets to the edge of his range he circles to stay in side his range. If your hound is chasing something a mile out that does not seem to circle it is probably a deer. I say seem because the deer will circle too, its just a much bigger circle.

He used to chase deer, but several weeks and a shock collar cured that ;) I now know he is chasing rabbits (sometimes pheasants) and there are times he brings them around, he just isn't really great at it yet. I have been gearing up for some heavy rabbit training this spring so hopefully come the season he will be ready to go!

Posted on: 5/3 21:29

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com