Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New to the area

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Overall, compared to Colorado, you will find that MOST of our wild trout streams tend to be very small. Bigger rivers get a little on the warm side and get stocked in the spring, and are generally smallmouth bass in the summer.

We do, however, have a ridiculous amount of those smaller waters. Even if it's mostly small streams, the miles of water available in PA is astounding.

And there are exceptions to those rules. Limestoners and tailwaters, in particular, can be larger and still have wild trout.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 15:42

From Philadelphia
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Welcome!

Regarding the classifications, check out the PA fish and boat commission website. Takes a little practice to navigate. And when you have questions feel free to ask. But you can find lists and maps for about anything. I'm kinda focusing on trout in flowing waters with the following, but we have plenty of warmwater and stillwater fisheries as well.

Streams with wild trout reproduction:
List: http://fishandboat.com/trout_repro.htm

Class A streams (a subset of the former, which have above a certain biomass of wild trout):
List: http://fishandboat.com/classa.pdf

Approved Trout Waters (stocked with trout, stocking schedules are also available):
http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/troutwaters.html

Special regulation waters (can be stocked or wild fish, but have different harvest restrictions, seasons, and/or tackle requirements compared to the general regulations). The following is a map split up by the type of special reg, and they are clickable to see the regulation:

http://fishandboat.com/specreg.htm

And here's another map, where you can select by special reg (in general), Approved trout waters, or class A streams.

http://fishandboat.com/county.htm

One more map. IMO, this is the most useful. Under layers/wildlife, you can put the natural reproduction list, or the class A list on here.

http://maps.psiee.psu.edu/paatlas/

Here are the general regulations. For trout, these apply to Approved Trout Waters (stocked):

http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/inland.html

Approved trout waters - regional opening day through Sept. 2 - creel limit of 5. Sept 3 through Feb. 28 - limit 3. March - closed.

Wild trout streams not listed as ATW's: Regional Opening day through Sept. 2 - creel limit of 5. Sept. 2 for the rest of the year - no harvest allowed. but no closed season.

Special regs - follow special reg. Most are open year round but tackle restrictions, creel limits, size limits, etc. may vary.

Also, the lake Erie drainage, with a lake run steelhead fishery, has different seasons.

pcray will be a presenter at the "newbie" event in March, so imagine what you can get picking his brain in person if you get this online!

By the way, you have been pcray'd on your first day!

Posted on: 2013/3/4 15:53

From Ralston pa
I'm overwhelmed by all the responses. Thank you all for making me feel so welcome into this community.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 15:56

From Lancaster
Chris,

Great to have you on board. Thank you for your service to our country. Great bunch of folks on this site with a lot of experience and a wealth of information. Have fun with it!

dc

Posted on: 2013/3/4 17:25

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
fox wrote:

RC, if you are referring to the Fish & Chips, then yes, we will be doing that again in July or August. No date has been set as of this time but everyone agreed it should be an annual event.

Fox .. you guys thinking of doing that 'Newbie Brush up' meetup? If I recall it went down last April or May abt 5 weeks after the Instructional Jam

Posted on: 2013/3/4 17:26

From Couldn't Care Less
Chris .. jams are great. Very informative but also a lot of fun and you get see a bunch of guys go fox hunting.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 17:27

From Bucks County
Quote:

Stagger_Lee wrote:
Quote:
fox wrote:

RC, if you are referring to the Fish & Chips, then yes, we will be doing that again in July or August. No date has been set as of this time but everyone agreed it should be an annual event.

Fox .. you guys thinking of doing that 'Newbie Brush up' meetup? If I recall it went down last April or May abt 5 weeks after the Instructional Jam

Fox, I'm referring to the brush up that was late April or early May of last year. You were helping me with my casting and gave me an elk hair caddis to use on the water because I did not have any dry flies in my box. You seemed impressed with my 20 yr old 7' 4wt Penn rod.

Stagger and djs were there also.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 18:46

From Bucks County
You happen to be very close to a lot of great freestone trout streams. PM me if you want a point in the right direction. Some day I would like to live near Ralston if the gas drillers don't screw it up. I always imagined myself retiring to one of the houses on pleasant stream road. Have you explored Rock Run at all? Prettiest creek in PA.

Posted on: 2013/3/4 21:17

From Philadelphia
RC and Stag, I assume we'll be doing the bush-up again but I'll let H-A say for sure. I's just hired helps!

Posted on: 2013/3/5 9:20

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Foxgap239 wrote:
RC and Stag, I assume we'll be doing the bush-up again but I'll let H-A say for sure. I's just hired helps!

Not so. You're every bit as involved with any Newbie event I come up with as I am. I'm not the least bit offended if you come up with something on your own, and I'd gladly help if I can.

These events are all about the Newbies - not about us. This is why I recruit people like yourself, pcray, FrequentTyer, Dog, Swattie, FGSIII, etc. I know you guys will put the interests of the Newbies at the forefront.

Sharing knowledge, meeting fellow forum members, making new friends and fishing buddies, and building camaraderie amongst our fellow PAFF members old and new are the foundation of these events. They are intended to support what PAFF is all about, and with dkile's approval, they'll continue.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 14:26

From North East PA
When the date gets ironed out for the Fish and Chips event, I'll load up the grill and links! Might even get Joy to come along!

Posted on: 2013/3/5 18:28

From Philadelphia
Spoke with H-A, well sorta anyway. We will have a "Newbie" Brush Up day in April or May, exact date to be announced. Maybe we'll try to have it in conjunction with the Sulfurs so it may be late afternoon into early evening event so that we can catch the hatch.

We will also have the 2nd Annual Fish and Chips Day in July or August. Details will be announced as we get closer.

Both events will be held on the Little Lehigh by the Fly Shop.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 19:34

From Couldn't Care Less
Good stuff gents.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:05

From Ferguson Twp.
Welcome to Pa. and Paff Chris good to have you here. Of the many things that go on through this great site the Spring Jam is comming in a couple of months it's in the fly fishing events section. Lots of fishing, eating, drinking, bsing, and camping. Did I mention fishing? It's a great time... to fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 20:48

From Clearfield County
Rock Run and Stony Fork should make a CO boy feel a little closer to home.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 20:04

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (28)
Who cares? It beats work. 30% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com