New to fly fishing

phiendWMD

phiendWMD

Hi everyone, after a long time of not fishing at all I decided to give trout another shot this season. But I needed a twist, and fly fishing seemed like just what I was looking for. I managed to get some stuff together between friends, luck, and craigslist. I've gotten flies and streamers and nymphs. 2 rods and reels, waders, etc. And so far I've spent quite a few hours in streams, a few in places I could only dream of...like private property along the West Branch just upstream from Hancock NY. As well as a bunch of time in the closest local spot. But for all that I still have not caught a trout with it.

I did catch a sunfish and a bass last week. I was lots of fish coming up to the top then. But for the last few days I haven't seen that. The water is going down and clearing up a lot and is close to normal again. I was at it today. Yesterday, Sunday, Saturday...I'll be out there again tomorrow.

I can't wait to catch that first trout!

If there is anyone that fishes in or around Lower Bucks, I'd love to tag along if you wouldn't mind sometime.

If your willing to travel to Lehigh Valley Lower Pocono area, I would be happy to give ya a hand. Just shoot me a pm sometime. I am sure there are guys in your area that would be willing to do the same.

Haha if you are stubborn enough to keep on with that poor streak, you'll definitely become an addict after that first legit trout!

I could help you around the Harrisburg region, but other than that- just keep on keeping on! Save any dry flies for times when you see (many) trout actively feeding from the top. Hold on to the streamers. Newbies (from experience) have poor experience with streamers/wooly buggers. Once you know how to fish them (which, theoretically, can't be wrong- but that's another story) they are great, but they are just going to scare fish until then.

Stick with nymphing in front of you and dead-drifting as far as you can, then repeat. Use a very hearty dry fly or a strike indicator 1.5x the depth of the water until then!

There's a bunch of guys around Lower Bucks and with a little travel (I'd say within an hour) there's some pretty good streams too....

SBecker, Thank you for the offer! I might just take you up on it. I went to high school around that way and my father still lives up there, so I end up around myself too.

Gorosaurus, yeah I guess I can be pretty stubborn sometimes. Hah, this just seems like something worth the time and effort, and even if I'm not catching anything I still just love being in or along a stream/river. But I did catch 3 fish today. Tiny little sunfish, but its all the other guy fishing there was catching too. I am starting to think I need to find a new spot. I don't recall seeing anyone with a fly rod catching any trout at all...and like I said before, I've put in a bit of time.

Volksnurse, I am definitely not afraid to put a few miles on my car. So far this week I've fished Neshaminy Creek, Tohickon Creek, and the West Branch. I am considering a trip to Valley Creek Saturday to see how that is.

Welcome to the jungle.

If you are wandering around Northeast PA, give a holler.

Congrats on connecting with your fly rod, bass are a ball on them, and a two or three weight makes bluegills a blast. Welcome aboard the forum.

phiendWMD, welcome aboard and co-sign what Volkesnurse said.

There are decent amt and now that it is warming up, maybe we can put a WW date down to fish some of the locals. It has been discussed yet never happens. That said; many on this board get together w/in an hr drive in many directions and you can always tag along if interested. You'll learn and have a good day with some great guys. Read some of the threads and PM some guys you think are in ur area (I'm near Newtown/Holland).

Just don't take my advise on the H20 ... I've been doing this thing for a year and still hang in the beginner forum. ;-)

Did I stumble into some fly fishing Grateful Dead cult?

phiendWMD wrote:

Weeelllll...

Not to worry, Volks. For sure, no one wants to steal your face. :lol:

H-A wrote

Not to worry, Volks. For sure, no one wants to steal your face.
right off his head?

phiendWMD wrote:

Why would you say that? Lol.

Typically I catch sunfish in "not Trout water", ie sounds like you may be fishing slower moving pools instead of currents and bubble lines.

I went to Valley today. Didn't catch anything but I learned a few things and realized a few things that need a lot of work still. I also think different leader and tippet would help. I had a 5x leader and 4x tippet. Someone there said try a 6x or 7x leader and 5x or 6x tippet.

The fish were coming up though, tons of them. I'm not sure for what. Most people were saying try caddis. The only person I saw catch one said it was on a tan caddis.

phiend, 4x=6lb 5x=5lb 6x=4lb and 7x=3lb. for valley i would suggest a 5x leader with 6x tippet. Also, go to your local fly shop and buy a bunch of elk hair caddis dry fliesin various sizes.

Is there a big difference between the old hand me down me stuff I am using and a new fly rod and reel? The rod is a Berkley Grayfite, I think its from the early to mid 90s, and it came with a Shakespeare 2110 reel. It was given to me from a random person on craigslist I bought some waders off of. I'm just not sure if I should use this for a while and try to learn, or if i would be better off getting something newer. I could live with this I guess, but if something more modern with better technology would help me along I'd go with that

Phiend - learn the blood knot from a good YouTube video or the double surgeons knot. Practice your *** off on your couch with two different colored (cheep) fishing line spools. Heavy stuff like 20 lb. this is how you are going to add tapered tippet material to your leader...
Then get yourself some pre-manufactured leaders say a Rio 9 ft 5x leader or even 6x. Then test your knot skills and tie on a good two or three feet of tippet again (tapering down). Confusing because your number is actually going up. (Remember the higher the number x the thinner less diameter the tippet material is). So in this case add 2 -3 feet of 6x tippet material with a blood knot or double surgeons knot. Then tie on your Size 16 Elk Hair caddis and have at it. If you really want to have fun throw an emerger about a foot and half off of your hook bend using the same 6x tippet. Ha. Best bet - spend every minute you can with someone who understands teaching the dead drift. Mending / casting. A few minutes with an experienced fly fishermen will give you more than countless hours of failing on your own.
Trust me bro I have spent the last year obsessed and the good folks on this site and a few trips with experienced guys saved me serious growing pains. Ahhh and trust me I have had tons of snag ups and skunk days on Valley. Good luck - remember YouTube is your friend!!!

I've got the double surgeons knot down. I've been using it to tie tippet on. I've had 2 people tie nail knots for me, but its something I want to learn. Lol I actually had one guy tie the nail not, and a few perfection loops on leaders. And I've been using clinch knots to tie flies on, and am comfortable with them.

I've also been watching youtube a ton. Watched a guy named Tim Landwehr last night and he said it in a way that made it clear. Accelerate to a stop. I was using too much wrist and not enough arm, and not going fast enough or stopping quickly enough, to load the tip much. Today I worked some of that out. I was out in the rain this afternoon at Tyler state park. Still no trout, but I did find this

http://imgur.com/RnJPEKs

Wait til you start tying! ;). Thank god for Tightline productions tying lessons on youtube. Seriously - I learned casting and knots and basic tying and countless tips on every aspect of this chess match. Trust me though - every second you can spend with an experienced guide or a veteran fly fisher will jump your progress forward leaps and bounds. - couple weeks ago I had a guy tell me all about the different rise forms. A whole other set of guidelines and principles to learn. Makes a big difference in understanding what it is your seeing.

Enjoy the addiction!

What Wt is the Rod? Should be a 6wt or less for trout. Did it come with Fly line? - if so this will need to be changed out, more than likely it is old.
I don't care for premade leaders and tippits, I make my own out of Spiderwire and Flourocarbons.
I would not jump out to the store and put some money into the sport just yet. This sport can be quite expensive.

Clear water makes trout really spooky - even a shadow of the line or a splash in the water will cause them to split the scene. At this point I downsize my presentations.

Back