Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: New to fly fishing

Is there a big difference between the old hand me down me stuff I am using and a new fly rod and reel? The rod is a Berkley Grayfite, I think its from the early to mid 90s, and it came with a Shakespeare 2110 reel. It was given to me from a random person on craigslist I bought some waders off of. I'm just not sure if I should use this for a while and try to learn, or if i would be better off getting something newer. I could live with this I guess, but if something more modern with better technology would help me along I'd go with that

Posted on: 2013/4/29 10:46

From Newtown Square
Phiend - learn the blood knot from a good YouTube video or the double surgeons knot. Practice your ass off on your couch with two different colored (cheep) fishing line spools. Heavy stuff like 20 lb. this is how you are going to add tapered tippet material to your leader...
Then get yourself some pre-manufactured leaders say a Rio 9 ft 5x leader or even 6x. Then test your knot skills and tie on a good two or three feet of tippet again (tapering down). Confusing because your number is actually going up. (Remember the higher the number x the thinner less diameter the tippet material is). So in this case add 2 -3 feet of 6x tippet material with a blood knot or double surgeons knot. Then tie on your Size 16 Elk Hair caddis and have at it. If you really want to have fun throw an emerger about a foot and half off of your hook bend using the same 6x tippet. Ha. Best bet - spend every minute you can with someone who understands teaching the dead drift. Mending / casting. A few minutes with an experienced fly fishermen will give you more than countless hours of failing on your own.
Trust me bro I have spent the last year obsessed and the good folks on this site and a few trips with experienced guys saved me serious growing pains. Ahhh and trust me I have had tons of snag ups and skunk days on Valley. Good luck - remember YouTube is your friend!!!

Posted on: 2013/4/29 21:51

I've got the double surgeons knot down. I've been using it to tie tippet on. I've had 2 people tie nail knots for me, but its something I want to learn. Lol I actually had one guy tie the nail not, and a few perfection loops on leaders. And I've been using clinch knots to tie flies on, and am comfortable with them.

I've also been watching youtube a ton. Watched a guy named Tim Landwehr last night and he said it in a way that made it clear. Accelerate to a stop. I was using too much wrist and not enough arm, and not going fast enough or stopping quickly enough, to load the tip much. Today I worked some of that out. I was out in the rain this afternoon at Tyler state park. Still no trout, but I did find this

http://imgur.com/RnJPEKs

Posted on: 2013/4/29 22:35

From Newtown Square
Wait til you start tying! ;). Thank god for Tightline productions tying lessons on youtube. Seriously - I learned casting and knots and basic tying and countless tips on every aspect of this chess match. Trust me though - every second you can spend with an experienced guide or a veteran fly fisher will jump your progress forward leaps and bounds. - couple weeks ago I had a guy tell me all about the different rise forms. A whole other set of guidelines and principles to learn. Makes a big difference in understanding what it is your seeing.

Enjoy the addiction!

Posted on: 2013/4/30 9:41

From Philadelphia PA
What Wt is the Rod? Should be a 6wt or less for trout. Did it come with Fly line? - if so this will need to be changed out, more than likely it is old.
I don't care for premade leaders and tippits, I make my own out of Spiderwire and Flourocarbons.
I would not jump out to the store and put some money into the sport just yet. This sport can be quite expensive.

Clear water makes trout really spooky - even a shadow of the line or a splash in the water will cause them to split the scene. At this point I downsize my presentations.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 12:25
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

Its marked 5/6. It did come with line, and I had guys from 2 fly shops check it out and they both said I would be ok for now.

How long should a leader last? I've gone through 3 or 4 already, in a month. Breaking flies off or getting caught in trees, and every time the leader gets shorter. I was looking into making my own last night, but honestly I came away more confused than anything. And I've already seen what you mean about expensive, but honestly, its less expensive than my last hobby, so I can't complain too much.

I don't think I've said it yet, and I meant to, but thank you every one for all the help!

Posted on: 2013/4/30 17:01

From florida
Let me add my "welcome aboard" GG

Posted on: 2013/4/30 17:07

From Wayne County
As for going through leaders you a few options. As you said, make your own.

Or you can go the furled leader route, at least part of the time. They have a little ring at the end called a tippet ring and you just keep tying new tippet to it.

Or you can buy tippet rings, tie one to the end of the leader, and change tippet as necessary without cutting original leader.

Posted on: 2013/4/30 18:14

From Philadelphia PA
I normally start with around 3 feet of 8 or 10 lb spiderwire. to a 4 feet of 4lb spiderwire to a dry fly and then up to 3 1/2 feet of 2lb Flouro to the nymph. This usually give me the best set up. I will normally change out the 2lb flouro if it gets a knot in it within 2 feet or less of the nymph. My two lb flouro is tied to the hook shaft of the dryfly.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:34
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com