New to fly fishing

N

NETFM

Just moved up to state college and looking for a couple spots to get out and practice while catching some fish...Can anyone help???

You sir are very lucky.

NETFM wrote:
Just moved up to state college and looking for a couple spots to get out and practice while catching some fish...Can anyone help???

Yes. Look out your window.

I want to say, I highly dislike you, but I wont. :) Seriously, in my opinion, you are in the best trout fishing area of the state. My plan when I graduate from college, is to move my family to State College and get a teaching position in one of the school districts.

As a flyfisher, you are very lucky to live in the State College area, home to some of the best trout waters in PA. However, if you are just beginning, don't overlook local ponds and reservoirs for panfish and bass - they can be much more forgiving than trout for the beginner.

When I'm in your area, my focus is on trout, so I can't help on ponds. However, you should be able to find some local ponds by searching the PFBC website.

Pick a stream, any stream...

Seriously, as the others have said, you make many of us jealous by your geography alone. If you are interested in getting out to practice your skills, try Colyer Lake just outside of town on 322. On any given day, you can catch smallmouth, largemouth, bluegill, crappie and pickerel on the fly.

Welcome aboard. GG

Yeah, pretty much every piece of moving water, down to the step across streams, harbors wild trout. Many of them are very good.

The super close, famous water is of course Spring Creek. As far as pure number of fish, it's among the tops in the Eastern U.S. And while some spots are better than others, I won't belabor that point, because EVERY spot is very good.

Penns, the Little Juniata River, and Big Fishing Creek are the other super famous waters, all within an hours drive.

But there are literally hundreds of wild trout streams within that distance, and I've always found the lesser known ones the most rewarding.

Sbecker wrote:

Seriously, in my opinion, you are in the best trout fishing area of the state.

Obviously heard some great things abt it on this board and I hope to make it out there one day in the fall or next spring

How do you guys think that area compares to the tops of the eastern states of America as well as the entire country in general?

If you live all the way on the east side of Pa, going west what is the closest spots that you would rank as the trout fishing stream .. quality of fishing and scenery most important?

It depends what you like, Stagger. If you like huge tailwaters and are into the drift boat type stuff, then central PA isn't a real good area. It doesn't have anything on the scale of the Lehigh, D, Yough, or Allegheny.

If you like huge lake or ocean run fish, obviously it's got none of that. There are people in great lakes country, including Erie, PA who laugh at central PA. These guys scoff at an 18 inch trout. "It's just a jack". They expect multiple fish in the mid-20's You could fish a lifetime and never catch an "average" fish in central PA.

If you like remote brookie mountain freestoners, then central PA is alright. But not as attractive as NC PA, or arguably even NW PA, or the eastern side of the state. There are some brookie streams in eastern PA that are truly fantastic and very tough to beat. And in the wild trout mountain stream category, central PA certainly doesn't hold a candle to places like the Smokies.

But, what central PA has is a large number of high quality, medium to large sized, limestoners in a small area, with good hatches and tons of wild trout and generally good public access. If that's what you like, it's probably the best fishing region east of the Mississippi.

Welcome to the board, you pretty much may fish anywhere on Spring Creek and catch browns. This time of the year in the evenings fish a #18 tan caddis or a #20 rusty spinner and you'll catch trout. Your tippet should be 6X. The closer to dark the more the activity.

Back