Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: New leader time.

From Bozeman
Never thought of flipping the bobbin around like that. I always did it reverse-handed, which sucks.

Good stuff!

Posted on: 2010/4/21 22:20

From Chester County
That's pretty much the way I do it. I learned that method a long time ago rewrapping bow strings.

Gfen wrote: "If I understand, Knotsense and Pilobond are both soft"....

Pliobond remains soft, but Knotsense hardens. I've experimented with using a dab of clear silicone bathtub seal. I just spread a little bit on the windings with a toothpick. I remains soft and pliable, and floats rather well. Give it a try.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 7:06

What I am is what I am is what you are oh why

I do the cutting off of the loop and nail knot on a 25 or 20 lb peice of maxima. I have never noticed my leader riding any lower.

So much of this fly fishing stuff is personal preference. You just have to try a couple different styles. Easier the better at first I would think.

Gonna give the Orvis Hy-Float a try for the butt section.
(after I cut that loop off- hehehe)

Never tried a furled leader yet. Maybe I will leave that one on my dry fly rod. That is meant for dries, correct?

The loop to loop- no doubt is easier to make changes and speeds up the changing so you can do more fishing. I am usually changing sections as the loopers are casting me by.

Still cycling through gear and tactics to see which ones work best for me.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 8:40

Re: What I am is what I am is what you are oh why
From Chester County
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
I do the cutting off of the loop and nail knot on a 25 or 20 lb peice of maxima. I have never noticed my leader riding any lower.

So much of this fly fishing stuff is personal preference. You just have to try a couple different styles. Easier the better at first I would think.

Gonna give the Orvis Hy-Float a try for the butt section.
(after I cut that loop off- hehehe)

Never tried a furled leader yet. Maybe I will leave that one on my dry fly rod. That is meant for dries, correct?

The loop to loop- no doubt is easier to make changes and speeds up the changing so you can do more fishing. I am usually changing sections as the loopers are casting me by.

Still cycling through gear and tactics to see which ones work best for me.

I used the Orvis Hy-float as my leader butt for a few seasons and it worked just fine. I believe Dryflyguy uses it that way all the time.

For the past few seasons I've been using my homemade furled leaders and they work well. I use them for dries as well as nymphing. The furled butt floats (floating paste also helps) and I use it as my Indy for nymphing. Furled leaders are great for Euro nymphing as well as high sticking.

Good stuff to mess around with, Paul, to find what works best for you. Good luck.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 9:09

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

Gfen wrote: "If I understand, Knotsense and Pilobond are both soft"....

Pliobond remains soft, but Knotsense hardens. I've experimented with using a dab of clear silicone bathtub seal. I just spread a little bit on the windings with a toothpick. I remains soft and pliable, and floats rather well. Give it a try.

I just turned a DT line around the other day and decided to do a whipped loop. I ended up using loons UV wader repair to coat the windings. It stays soft and seems to float.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 9:44

From SEPA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

I'd been suggested using hot glue, and for awhile kept a stick and a lighter in my bag 'o stuff (if you burn it, it just drips down). This worked, but left weird, ugly lumps of brown rubbery crap and I had a hard time getting it to shape.

I gave up on that, like so many other things.

I found a tube of aquarium sealant the other day, the thought popped into my head, and was lost.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 10:39

Re: What I am is what I am is what you are oh why

From SEPA
Quote:

acristickid wrote:

I like reading abotu the old ways, and was reading on silk lines the other day.

Silk was more supple, and laid down gentler than the plastic stuff we've got. It seems to be a reasonable belief that alot of people who started with furled leaders did so in a way to try and emulate the way that silk lines would lay out. A furled leader can do that better than tapered mono can.

Or, that's what I've read, and I buy it.

Try one of Afish's twisted leaders on your light rod. I was able to easily see the hinge point provided by the 3" piece of 20# amnesia between the 3DT Sylk line I had on and the hand-twisted/furled leader I had made. That's why I replaced the Amnesia with a 4" piece of furled leader. It is that much better, and you'll be surprised at how light your line falls to the surface. I believe I stated in my post it was like an Angel taking a dump. :)

Posted on: 2010/4/22 10:50

From Chester County
Quote:

gfen wrote:
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

I'd been suggested using hot glue, and for awhile kept a stick and a lighter in my bag 'o stuff (if you burn it, it just drips down). This worked, but left weird, ugly lumps of brown rubbery crap and I had a hard time getting it to shape.

I gave up on that, like so many other things.

I found a tube of aquarium sealant the other day, the thought popped into my head, and was lost.

If you carried around a notepad and pencil, or a digital voice recorder......everyone would call you a genius...

Posted on: 2010/4/22 10:50

From SEPA
I've often said if I could somehow be put into a permanent state reminescent of those moments when I first get up and stand in a hot shower in the morning, I could solve the world's problems.

Plato's got nothing on my philosophy for those few moments.

Except I'd be water logged and crabby when I was done.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 10:52

From Bozeman
"Sometimes in the middle of the night, I think of something that's funny, then I go get a pen and I write it down. Or if the pen's too far away, I have to convince myself that what I thought of ain't funny."

-Mitch Hedberg

Posted on: 2010/4/22 10:58

From Lewistown
I don't think I would ever cut the factory welded loop off.

If your looking for an indicator, just wrap at the base of the welded loop and finish. A lot less work, for almost the same result.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 11:20

From Bozeman
It's not really for the indicator aspect. As I said before, the welded loops fall apart for me.

I have used Rio lines with them with bad results. I currently have a cortland. I'll leave the loop to see if it happens again.

Posted on: 2010/4/22 11:24

From Lewistown
I use rio too, and have never had the weld come apart, but I have on a cortland. Well, not the weld, but the little yellow piece that covers the weld (not found on rio).

Posted on: 2010/4/22 11:31

Knowing me not knowing you

I would nevedr make one of those furled leader deals- I am too ADD.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 9:38

From Bozeman
I am too, but the leaders only take 5 minutes. It's really not bad at all.

Posted on: 2010/4/23 10:00

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com