New here, and I have a request for anyone in the Mount Pocono area

S

snakeman21

Hi all. I am a member over at pafoa.org, and a member there referred me to you guys when I posted this:

Hello all. As some of you know, one of my favorite things is fishing. I go mainly for rainbow trout (good eatin'), and have always fished rivers and streams with a spinning reel. I've used a variety of baits, lures and riggings with decent luck. Most commonly, I use a pair of gang hooks with a worm for bait. I've also had great luck with inline spinner/fly combos, small spoons, and I love my Panther Martin spinner and my Mepp's Aglia.

I had always dismissed fly fishing as something that would take far too much time and work to learn, something for the elite, but have always held a deep respect for it. Every time I see a person working their line just right to land a fly, I think to myself, 'there is a better fisherman than me.' I love watching it. The graceful loop of the line, the art of simulating nature as closely as possible to fool even the wariest, oldest trout into striking...

Well, I've decided I want to stop being lazy and learn. However, at the moment, I simply cannot afford to buy an entire set of supplies. Hell, I can hardly afford the gas to go fishing at all. Plus, what if I buy all this crap only find out that fly fishing isn't really my thing?

I was hoping perhaps someone in my area would be willing to show me the ropes. Go out fishing, teach me the basics. Hopefully you have an old spare rod and reel you could loan me for it. Unfortunately, I cannot really offer much in return except the promise that I'll pass the knowledge on to others when I can.

So, anyone willing to tutor? I tend to be a pretty quick learner, and it's always nice to spend time with people of similar interests... So whadya say? I'm in Mount Pocono and can travel a reasonable distance (maybe 30 miles).

Anyone can read a wealth of info online, but it's much easier to learn when you have someone there with experience.

So what say you? I've always had a passion for fishing, and I really want to get into fly fishing because I've always envied those that do it. I'm willing to listen & learn all I can... and most people say my company isn't bad. :D

Hi snakeman, and welcome to paflyfish.

Check out this link to a thread in the Events forum.

We do a couple of beginner events each year, and they'd provide exactly what you are looking for.

There's directions in both threads for the Fish & Chips event (it's this Saturday), and it'd be about a 30 minute drive down the turpike for you.

There will be instruction on just about any topic regarding flyfishing streams in the area, and you'd be able to tag along with an experienced fisherman to see what it's like.

If you want to try out the fishing, I'm sure someone would let you try your hand for a bit with their gear, and there will also be instruction on fly casting.

Should be just the ticket for you. Some of us will be arriving at dawn, and more will gather as the morning goes on. Look for a gathering alongside the fly shop - the directions link will take you right there. Make sure you bring a current license w/trout stamp if you want to fish the stream with us.

Directions.

This Saturday? As in the 27th? Wow, what a coincidence... I was planning on going fishing for the day. I'm glad I sought this out today, had I waited a few days, I'd have missed it!

Thanks a lot for pointing me in the right direction, I can't wait to give it a shot.

EDIT:

Um... I just looked at the directions you posted, and that's an hour drive from here... Actually not so sure I can do that Saturday. I got excited when you said it was a half hour drive.

So, back to my original question I guess.

Only a half hour difference and that changes things? Come on, man!!! (Just joking with you...but if you planned on spending the day fishing, might as well make it a good one!!)

Once you fall in love with it, I'd bet you'll be willing to drive 3 or 4 hours just to get to a decent stream (or maybe that's just me living where I do and missing Central PA streams...).

Either way, good luck and I hope you get hooked on this as well. This season is the first year I've gone "all in" on fly fishing, and I've loved every minute of it.

I think Heritage meant it was 30 minutes once you hit the turnpike. He obviously does not know exactly where you live.

Its worth the time and effort to go to that and make a friend.

There's also a fly shop on there which may, or may not, have a "budget" outfit there in the form of a the Scientific Angers starter kits.

gfen wrote:

Its worth the time and effort to go to that and make a friend.

This ^^^ If you're going fishing that day anyway and want to learn FF that is where you want to be. H A and the other anglers from this forum that will be there are very sharp and stream savy, that one day with them will shave off so much time from your learning curve it will be well worth your effort.

Snake .. welcome to the board. This sat would be great for you, both fishing and meeting some guys who are great .. just be careful and keep an eye out for the foxes. If ur there I, and Im sure others, have extra rods that we would be happy for u to borrow for the day ... just don't ask me TOO many questions cause i'm still a newbie and might mess u up lol

Hope u can make it out.

Hi Snakeman - SBecker pretty much nailed what I was trying to say about the 30 minute drive down the turnpike thing.

I think the extra few minutes of travel time would be well worth it to you. There's gonna be at least three casting instructors in attendance - that alone would be worth the trip for you, IMO.

The instruction we're giving for free dealing with flyfishing would cost you several hundred dollars if you tried to get instruction from a shop, and you could wind up with the same instructors - depending on where you went. ;-)

You'd also have an opportunity to hook up with people that would be willing to help you in the future. It'd be the perfect setting to get your feet wet, so to speak.

By all means, try to make it if you can.

H.A.

As I posted in the thread about the trip:

I've mapped out every route I can. The shortest is 57 miles/1 hour.

It's not so much a matter of what I'm WILLING to drive, as much as what I CAN drive.

We just had to drop over $3000 on a dental surgery, and money is very tight so we're trying to conserve. This is much further than we agreed we're allowed to go for "fun" things. My car is dead in the driveway waiting to go to a mechanic when we can, and in the meantime we're sharing my wife's (god, I hate automatic trannsmissions...) and she would be very upset if I drove it 100 miles tomorrow.

I'm sorry, I really want to come, but it looks like it's simply not an option unless I can ask my frineds if one of them wants to go to and ride down with them. Not likely, none of my friends in PA like to fish, but I will ask just the same.

OK - gotcha.

Are you free Sunday? I'll drive up there, bring along a spare rod and reel for you to use, get you up to speed on casting, and take you fishing.

I was gonna fish not too far away from your area anyway - if it helps you, I'm all for it.

Best I can do....

by Heritage-Angler on 2013/7/26 8:40:44

OK - gotcha.

Are you free Sunday? I'll drive up there, bring along a spare rod and reel for you to use, get you up to speed on casting, and take you fishing.

I was gonna fish not too far away from your area anyway - if it helps you, I'm all for it.

Best I can do....

That's very generous, thank you. I am free on Sunday, but I believe my wife is working and we have a 6-month old. I will touch base with her about her schedule. If she is working, it is probably not until noon or later, so we could still do the morning.

Where were you planning on going? I usually go to Tobyhanna creek, on 940 near where it meets up with 115. Had good luck with rainbows there. But if you've got another spot in mind in the area, let me know.

Thanks again! Sorry I (most likely) can't make the meet tommorrow, I wish I could. You guys seem like a friendly bunch.

Is the Mahoning Valley exit of the turnpike too far for you to drive? If it's OK, I'll give you directions to meet up.

Been about 10 years since I fished the Toby. We could do that, but I like my choice much better. ;-)

The morning is OK with me. How's 9AM sound?

Snakeman

Welcome to the jungle!

If you can manage the drive to the Turnpike/80 junction, I can give you ride to the event and back. I'll be leaving from Carbondale around 5:30 in the AM to head down. Would put me at that intersection around 6:30, I think.

(I'll also bring a 5 wt setup you can use.)

PM me if you'd like to ride down.

There is so much you can learn from this group of *ahmen, cough, choke* gentlemen that you should really make this event.

Dave

by Heritage-Angler on 2013/7/26 10:07:54

Is the Mahoning Valley exit of the turnpike too far for you to drive? If it's OK, I'll give you directions to meet up.

Been about 10 years since I fished the Toby. We could do that, but I like my choice much better.

The morning is OK with me. How's 9AM sound?

Is the exit you're referring to the one by Rte 209? That's still a little further than I was hoping to go, but is certainly doable.

Well, I talked to my wife, she does indeed have to work on Sunday. She needs to leave by 11:20, so I'd need to be back by then. So 9am is a little tight. It'll take me 40 minutes each way, so that would leave us an hour and 40 minutes from 9:00 until 10:40. Not exactly much of a fishing day.

Personally, I usually get up at the crack of dawn or just before it on Sundays so I have a good 5 or 6 hours of fishing before I have to go home and watch my daughter. So unless you don't mind being an early bird like me, it might be better for the both of us to do it a different day. Saturday mornings are usually good for me. Occasionally, I can do weekday morings if I know in advance.

I love my daughter to death, but it's real hard to find time to myself anymore lol. I can't wait till she's old enough to just come with me.

by djs12354 on 2013/7/26 13:27:00

Snakeman

Welcome to the jungle!

If you can manage the drive to the Turnpike/80 junction, I can give you ride to the event and back. I'll be leaving from Carbondale around 5:30 in the AM to head down. Would put me at that intersection around 6:30, I think.

(I'll also bring a 5 wt setup you can use.)

PM me if you'd like to ride down.

There is so much you can learn from this group of *ahmen, cough, choke* gentlemen that you should really make this event.

Dave

That would be awesome! Very nice of you to offer. This forums seems full of friendly, helpfulJust ot clarify, you mean the junction of 476 and 80, correct? I could do that. I will send you a pm to work out details.

Should I bring something? Case of soda, perhaps?

Rolls for the sausage and brats that I'm bringing down?

Sending a PM with my cell #

Correct - Junction of 476 and 80. Looks like the 380 and 80 junction is closer to you. I could swing that way if it makes things easier on you. Not really out of the way.

Will bring rolls. How many do you think we'll need?

Only thing I need to figure out now is where to park my wife's car when I meet up with you. Really don't want to come back to find it towed.

Two dozen should be plenty. Check your inbox for my cell #

Glad you can make it, Snakeman.

I see you've "met" my buddy Dave. Funny how you already have new friends that you haven't even met yet. Plan on making LOTS more new friends. This is an amazing group of people, and you're gonna feel right at home.

And so, your adventure begins. :)

Back