New Rod in hand and a blue gill christened it!

Pauly

Pauly

After all my posts and questions about fly lines and rods, I went to Mainstream outfitters (Daves sporting center) in Doylestown today.

I bought last years model of the Orvis Clearwater II 7'6"-3wt with an Orvis Battenkill Disc Drag Fly Reel loaded with backing and Orvis WF #3 F

for $225

I went straight to the East Branch perkiomen and fished from the bank because I left my Hip waders in my shop.

Two things I have to say about fishing from the bank:
1. I hate it (as a novice I find every root and twig with my fly)
2. I didn't care because I loved the rod.

I only had 15 minutes to get the line wet. So after a brief learning curve and fumbling around, I watched a few white bellies flash and then the bluegill hit. I had to go right after but I can not wait to get out this weekend.

My old setup which is a 10year or older pflueger #7 rod that I bought with absolutely no idea what I was doing.

The difference to me is like night and day.
Now I need to pick up some new flies to go with my new rod.

Nice, good luck with it.

That is great Pauly! I'm not ashamed to say I really enjoy catching bluegill on fly. It must have been a bast on the 3wt. And that #7 might be worth revisiting as a bass rod when weather turns hot.
Mike.

FrequentTyer wrote:
That is great Pauly! I'm not ashamed to say I really enjoy catching bluegill on fly. It must have been a bast on the 3wt. And that #7 might be worth revisiting as a bass rod when weather turns hot.
Mike.

Exactly what i plan to do with that #7 rod. Im putting #8 line on it and hitting the Delaware when it gets warm.

Nice story, I have a 4wt that is a good time with gills and small streams. I wonder though if you'll notice the gap between the 3wt and the 7wt. If you fish good sized creeks for trout you might notice some limitations on the 3wt.

Maybe you'll end up getting a 5wt too, then you'll be 3-5-7, like me which is 4-6-8. I noticed on the Lehigh River that the 4wt isn't the rod of choice.

Back