New Member Post

M

MattDieterich

Hi all,

I am new to the forums and Ill introduce myself. My names Matthew I am 20 and live in the North Hills. I have fly fished a few times, but need some advice for advancing! I have tried fishing Pine Creek the past few days and haven't catch anything the 4 hours total I spent. I was using a wooly bugger for a little bit and then a green inch worm both bought from LL Bean. Any starting advice is welcome. Anyone around Pittsburgh every want to get out and fish I would love to come!

Matthew

Welcome Matt. It looks like Pine is still running high. When I was there about two weeks ago it was unfishable.

Try big black conehead streamers along the bank and protected spots. Keep trying they are in there.

Sounds great! I was surprised at the clarity of the water these past two days of Pine Creek. Last year when I went there the water was very brown and turbid.

The past two days I have been fishing by the bridge next to the Hampton Fire Station. So what I want to do is to let my line float near the shore, like near all the shelter where trout should be?

Thanks,

Matt

Matt,

I think Beeber is talking about a different Pine Creek (North Central PA). Sometimes its helpful to specify the county to avoid confusion.

It is good advice to fish the stream edges, even in bigger water I find some of the best fish hang along the banks.

This time of year I would fish more dry flies and nymphs. Terrestrials, like the inchworm will be good in a couple weeks and till the water gets too warm. Streamers, like the wooly bugger are good in high water this time of year.

Welcome to the board!

Ok cool I will try out some of the new tips! Today I didn't get any bites for the few hours I was trying. Maybe I should try a new spot or wait for some rain.

Any other tips or techniques I should pay close attention to when fishing Pine Creek near Route 8 in Pittsburgh?

matt send me a PM, my name is also matt i fish pine ALOT as i live in NH too. im 15. caught quite a few hogs out of there this year.

PS: pine is very low and clear right now, definitely great condition but it makes the creek tough to fish sometimes. Best when its at a good flow with good clearity.

Back