New Guy Hello

Swattie87

Swattie87

Just wanted to drop a quick intro post. I've checked out some stuff on the forum before and was thoroughly impressed with what everyone has going here. I've been an UL spinning tackle (artificials only) angler for years, but got my first flyrod (4 wt) over the winter and have been using that pretty much exclusively this Spring. I'm at the point in the learning curve now where I can put the fly in the general area (meaning in the water, not in trees, brush, myself, or anything or anyone else streamside) that I want most of the time now. I think this is a fairly big step because now you can actually focus on the fly in the water and what it takes to actually catch the fish as opposed to not injuring yourself or untangling your line from all sorts of things constanstly.

The high water has hurt my ability to fish moving water so far, but I've had some good outings on some small local impundments for Sunfish and Crappie. I've also had several trout get off at my feet the few times I've been able to stream fish...I won't go as far as to say I've "caught" a trout on the fly rod yet...depends on your definition though I guess.

My home water is the Swatara Creek and her tribs - both warm and cold water. I've fished most of the Swatara along it's entire length, and most if it's major tributaries. If anyone has any questions or wants some advice on the Swatara, I'd be happy to share some info, within reason. I'm a total sucker for it's Redbreast Sunfish - they were the main reason I decided to venture off into fly fishing, although I seem to get more and more into trout every year too.

I'm an active memeber on PAAnglers, and recognize a couple of the names from there on here too. I hope to continue to learn and get better and hope to be a productive and valued member of this forum at some point too.

For now, just hoping the rain holds off and we can get into a bit of a more stable stream flow pattern for a while.

Welcome! Look forward to hearing from you once the waters level out over your way.

Welcome aboard!

The water has been outrageous this Spring. We are all hoping for a short dry spell.

Greetings and welcome aboard.GG

Welcome Swattie.

I too am a big fan of Redbreast Sunfish.

Swattie87 wrote:
I've also had several trout get off at my feet the few times I've been able to stream fish...I won't go as far as to say I've "caught" a trout on the fly rod yet...depends on your definition though I guess.

We always called that a long line release and considered it a catch! :-D Anyway welcome aboard.

it would seem the fly rod is becoming more than just another way to catch fish for somebody else.
welcome to the much harder, yet simpler way to angling.

Greetings and welcome from the upper stretches of your namesake crik!

Boyer

Thanks for the kind welcomes gang.

Boyer - The uppermost reaches are pretty much the only section of the creek that I'm not familiar with. Pine Grove is the furthest up I've fished...upstream of there is on my list for this year this though.

Back