Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Never fly fished, looking for suggestions

From Forks of the Ohio
I don't want to sound like I'm ripping on fly fishing, but as a first impression it seems like a lot of the aspects were kind of tedious in a sense.

It seems liked the leader was tedious, tying the fly onto the line is tougher, and the learning curve is steep in terms of casting accuracy, precision, and so forth.

The thing is, I like the idea of fly fishing. Like i said earlier, i think it can open up more places to fish.

I think the golf analogy is probably a good one, and I do like to golf. But like golf its can be a large financial commitment, and so I'm hesitant to go further.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 0:15

From Chester County
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
...It's an experience with nature and it's not all about fish numbers. Get out there and enjoy it.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 5:41

From Dauphin PA
Bear,
Do t make it harder than it really is. I started a 11 & 13 year old fly fishing last year. They catch plenty of fish and ha e no idea what they are doing. They might call and ask what fly might work best and away they go. Always call uncle Andy when they come back with a bunch of fish stories. You've got a bunch of guys in your area that are willing to get ya started.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 7:26

From Westmoreland/Tioga
Quote:

Bearski wrote:
It seems liked the leader was tedious, tying the fly onto the line is tougher, and the learning curve is steep in terms of casting accuracy, precision, and so forth.

The thing is, I like the idea of fly fishing. Like i said earlier, i think it can open up more places to fish.

I think the golf analogy is probably a good one, and I do like to golf. But like golf its can be a large financial commitment, and so I'm hesitant to go further.

I am sure the leader concept is new, and yes it something that can be tedious, but you only need to go there if you want to.

The only places fly fishing will open up are fly fishing only projects, which are very few. There are guys with the skill to fish circles around most fly anglers using spin gear, but they are very few.

Fly fishing does not require a large financial commitment. If you go with me it will cost nothing but time.

Posted on: 2013/11/13 17:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I kind have come up with an unproven theory that fly fishing opens up more opportunities in more smaller waters. Do you find that to be the case?

Depends on how you look at this. Fly fishing is more difficult than spin fishing, including on small streams. That said, I personally think the ceiling is higher, although there are some very good spinner fishermen who would disagree with me. But for me, I can say I fished small streams for many years with spinning gear, as did the rest of my family. With fly gear, I now outfish my old self as well as the spinners still in my family.

I think a large part of it is being able to fish MORE of the small stream. With spinning gear, you tend to jump around to the deep holes and fish ONLY those. You have to have some weight to cast. And if you fish shallow riffles, which in a small stream are really shallow, you either gotta get too close or your gonna be hung up on the bottom in no time. With fly gear, you can fish that water, from a distance, by floating a dry fly over it.

Anyway, I'd say for small streams, fly gear absolutely has a steeper learning curve. Whether, once perfected, it's a superior method can be debated. Depends on the stream. Less effective in the big deep pools. More effective in the little nooks and crannies in between. Definitely more fun!

For #2, it's a good idea but I don't have much input. All I can say is that aside from that trip, fish as much as possible, and find some FF vets and go with them as often as possible. Fishing with experienced people shortens the learning curve considerably. Don't get discouraged, cause there's gonna be a few bumps along the way. And if you want to remain committed to FF, remain committed. There will be a time when you struggle to catch fish with the fly rod, and you'll know dang well that you could catch them with spinning gear. In the long run, you're better off resisting the urge to pull out the spinning rod, and learning how to do it with the fly rod.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 7:57

From Chester County
A lot of good posts above.

Beginners to fly-fishing should try to keep it simple.

Borrow or buy a decent rod outfit with line matched to the weight of the rod. You really can't go wrong with a 8 to 9' 5wt rod to start.

Fish in more open areas where casting is easier. Lakes or more open streams or rivers are good places to start.

You may also want to target warmwater fish (in the warmer seasons) like panfish and bass. They are plentiful and usually easier to catch.

Hire a guide if you afford one or try to fish with an experienced fly-fisher if possible to get you started.

Have someone help you select some basic flies to get started. It's almost always the fisherman and not the flies that make the difference in catching.

Buy a "how-to" book on fly-fishing that covers the basics - equipment, rigging, flies, fishing techniques, etc. Also search the Internet for FFing info. This site is a great source for when, where and how to get started.

Keep at it...don't get discouraged. Always remember it's about enjoying yourself and having fun, and maybe catching a few fish along the way on your journey.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/11/14 8:36

From Coopersburg
Newbie Jam man! Still remember words of wisdom..."there's two ways to skin this cat"

I also agree going out with an experienced FFer. If you really want to get into the sport, the words of wisdom youre told seem to just stick with you, and when situations arise you remember "oh yeah krayfish said hit the seams, or Gencon said add more tippet and so forth" There is tons to learn and it works for me to kinda set goals for each outing, for example, really focus on good drift nymphing this outing, and something different next.

Fly fishing is best when reaching those goals, first on dry, first on nymph, first brown.....it's always something new thats the drive for me to want to go fishing.

Hope you stick with it, as it's one of the most rewarding things.

Posted on: 2013/11/19 22:10

From Philadelphia PA
I for one, hung it up several times before I caught on. I did not even think about this forum or any other flyfishing forum when I first started. I made lots of mistakes and caught many a trees to say the least.

It is true there is alot of mechanics involved in this art that may seam overwhelming at first. We have a great forum where we can all share ideas and knowledge with each other. If you make good use of it, you will become a better flyfisher shortly.

Take up some of the offerings that you receive from others on this post - Personal Messages (PMs) or NewBee Jam info and also the Flyfishing Jamborees that are held in May each year.

One outing does not make one an expert.

You also mentioned spin casting equipment in this post - You can also get tied up in spending lots of money in it as well. I have several thousands invested in lures alone. Most of my spin/casting equipment setups (rod and reel) run me between $150 - $400.00. I have around 16 setups. (add that up!)

I can also say with the Flyfishing equipment - I can carry a much larger quantity of lure choices (flies/nymphs/streamers) with me than I can with spin casting lures. Thus I can target more types of fish or have more choices to choose when fishing.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 11:50
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com