Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Never even held a fly rod...

From Philadelphia
Well, I didnt land any. I certainly need to work on my casting. The short5-10 foot casts i can pull off with relative accuracy. But all of my long casts end up 15 feet shorter than i intend and hit the water in a nest of line.

I have an idea of what im doing wrong. I think its habits from river casting and going from 2 o clock to 8 o clock on the power stroke and not waiting long enough for my back cast to unfurl. Correct me if i'm wrong.

is sidearm casting a bad habit to pick up? because for short casts that seemed to be my go to.

Posted on: 6/4 16:45

From Philadelphia PA
the answer to side arm is no. There are areas of all creeks/rivers where that side arm is needed. mainly under trees. I also use the side arm to skip my flies a couple times across the water. Some would think that it is not as accurate - but with constant practice - I feel that mine is just as effective.

Most important is taking your time with each cast and getting to know your equipment.

What type of line are you using? Weight Forward, Sinking, etc. Store bought leaders and tippets to home made ones, These all play into the art of fly fishing.

Posted on: 6/4 16:53
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Philadelphia
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
the answer to side arm is no. There are areas of all creeks/rivers where that side arm is needed. mainly under trees. I also use the side arm to skip my flies a couple times across the water. Some would think that it is not as accurate - but with constant practice - I feel that mine is just as effective.

Most important is taking your time with each cast and getting to know your equipment.

What type of line are you using? Weight Forward, Sinking, etc. Store bought leaders and tippets to home made ones, These all play into the art of fly fishing.

It is weight forward line, it came with a tapered leader and tippet already tied to it. i changed out the whole leader towards the end with a 3x tapered leader i bought from dicks, but didnt have any tippet (forgot about that in my shopping trip to dicks)

Posted on: 6/4 17:04

From SE Pa
Once I got a grasp of balancing the fly to the leader/tippet my casts improved immensely. 3x seems a little heavy for a dry but of course that is dependant on the size of your fly. If your line is landing short in a coil then the weight of your fly is collapsing the tippet. But that don't seem possible with a 3x leader unless your fishing a ginormous fly.

I'm new to fly fishing as well but maybe some of the more experienced can chime in on balancing the entire system

Posted on: 6/4 22:02

From Philadelphia
Thanks for the tip poopdeck. I watched the entire orvis video lesson compilation ladt night. I just have to convert brain to hands. Ill spend hours practice casting with yarn on my tippet and try and get the motions to stick without developing bad habits haha

Posted on: 6/5 17:49

From Philadelphia
Today i got out on the wissahickon creek at Fort Washington state park. Didnt see any trout, nor catch any, but... I did land my first fishes on a flyrod...with dry flies. I caught 3 sunnies. Not glorious catches by any means, but it was really cool to catch a fish topwater like that.

Stopped by orvis and grabbed some new leaders and some tippet. As well as a handfull of flies. Excited to keep learning.

Posted on: 6/8 21:13

From Philadelphia PA
It's a good start.

I sent you an offer to hook up. Let's do so before you break your piggy bank.

Posted on: 6/10 10:18
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Philadelphia, PA
You might try further down stream. I usually access the creek either at Northwestern Ave, Bells Mill Rd or Wise Mill Rd and walk up or down Forbidden Drive to the spots I like to fish. Like the Pennypack the trout are tough to catch and hard to find this time of year. Since you're just starting out I'd say forget about the trout till the fall. Don't get fixated on trout. You live in Philadelphia definitely not a mecca for trout fishing. What you do have is warm water fishing. There's nothing like catching a couple of dozen pumpkinseeds or bluegills to build up confidence in your ability to catch fish on a fly rod. They're not fussy and they're a lot more fun than catching trout. There are a lot of hand size sunfish in the creek, not to mention smallmouth and largemouth bass. There are bass up to 18 inches in there though the ones you usually catch are in the 8 to 10 inch range.
A couple of suggestions. Stop by Dick's or Walmart and pick up a package of panfish poppers that they carry. They're nothing fancy but they'll catch fish for you. And they're a lot cheaper than Orvis. For tippet material, if you don't already have it, 125 yard spools of 4, 6, 8 and 10 lb fluorocarbon or monofilament and use that when you fishing for sunnies and bass. Main thing is to go out and enjoy it.

Posted on: 6/10 22:20

From Philadelphia
Resized Image

I did it! First trout with a fly rod! Caught it using an Orvis Green Weenie, and stick on indicator. At Valley Creek. It was about 9 inches best guess... I had to take a pic of it in the net because my phone was stashed in the chest pouch of my waders and i wanted to get him back in the water asap. I was alone haha.

Now i just have to figure out these dries. Watched rise after rise in the one spot but couldnt even get so much as a refusal using terrestrials and flies.

P.S. Thanks for the instruction and encouragement afishanado.

Posted on: 6/14 19:14

Congratulations! That's a nice looking brownie.

Posted on: 6/15 11:37
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Philadelphia
Thanks brookie! yeah, looks like valley creek has plenty of good healthy browns. They're gorgeous fish, im always intrigued by their red spots. They seem to be brighter and more plentiful on the spots earlier in the season though.

Quote:

BrookieChaser wrote:
Congratulations! That's a nice looking brownie.

Posted on: 6/15 12:33

From Lambertville
You are doing great for a beginner.

Posted on: 6/15 15:59

From Coopersburg
Thats a nice fish man! Good work by you!

Posted on: 6/15 21:16

From SE Pa
Oh yeah! Time to buy a second fly rod. My local creek is about out of trout. Caught a rainbow last week that I think will be the last one. The good news is the smallmouth are starting to get excited.

My fly rod turned me into 10 year old again. Big sunfish and Rockies are a lot of fun to catch. Ill take warm water fish over trout on most days. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy trout fishing as well but more as a change of pace. It's all good enjoy

Posted on: 6/15 22:05

From Philadelphia
Thanks guys! Appreciate the encouraging words. And as far as running out of trout, I dont think that valley is affected as badly as many streams due to the catch and release artificial only status. Who knows if everyone follows this, but im sure it helps alot.

Also, This stream stays quite low in temp even in hot weather. The water temps in the 40's when i was there on saturday, and it was in the 80's IIRC. I feel like a 5wt is a little light for bass but i could be wrong? I cant afford another rod and reel ATM, Im working on picking up a Kayak right now.

Posted on: 6/16 21:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com