Need help casting

T

Teapot

Hello to the fly fishing gods of PA. I'm new to this forum but have been stalking for a while. I've been interested in fly fishing for a while now, but only recently got a rod and some flies. I am in Collegeville and am having a terrible time casting. I've watched a ton of videos online, but I'm not doing well. I don't have waders yet so I haven't spent much time on the water yet. I was wondering if there is anyone willing to spend an hour or so with me to help...I'm a stay at home dad so I'm limited to the mornings the kids are at school, Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. Thanks guys mad gals, love this forum and can't wait to truly understand what is going on!

Might be easier to meet up for an hour or two on the weekend. Practice on the lawn,but get out and cast on the water too. It'll be warm enough soon to wet wade so waders are not a necessity.

What does your setup look like? I had an awful time learning to cast the first fly combo I bought. Turned out the fly line it came with was garbage - it was level instead of tapered, too light for the rod, held the coils from being on the reel, and didn't float.

There's definitely a learning curve even with a proper fly line. Keep at it! I really thought casting at a local quarry was helpful - flat water and few trees really made it easier to focus on the casting. Plus with a dry fly on I'd occasionally catch a sunnie when I made a good cast. Hopefully someone from the forum will be able to meet up with you - folks here seem to be pretty good about that sort of thing.

Teapot wrote:
Hello to the fly fishing gods of PA. I'm new to this forum but have been stalking for a while. I've been interested in fly fishing for a while now, but only recently got a rod and some flies. I am in Collegeville and am having a terrible time casting. I've watched a ton of videos online, but I'm not doing well. I don't have waders yet so I haven't spent much time on the water yet. I was wondering if there is anyone willing to spend an hour or so with me to help...I'm a stay at home dad so I'm limited to the mornings the kids are at school, Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. Thanks guys mad gals, love this forum and can't wait to truly understand what is going on!

Hey Teapot,

The Orvis stores in Downingtown and Plymouth Meeting Meeting offer free beginner fly-fishing classes every Saturday from late March until the second week of June. There are spots available.

I have a LL Bean quest 9' 5wt. It came with the backing and line already on it, so I'm not entirely sure if it's the correct weight line or not. Didn't know they offer classes, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for all the help.

Welcome to the forum
Teapot. The free classes at an Orvis store seem like the best bet.

I have a LL Bean quest 9' 5wt. It came with the backing and line already on it, so I'm not entirely sure if it's the correct weight line or not
Assuming that the reel has a Floating Weight Forward 5wt line on it (which it should), you would be able to learn as well as catch fish more easily on a medium action rod like this.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Eagle-Claw-Featherlight-7-Fly-Rod/16767730

Some people on the forum will think this is heresy advise, however, others will confirm that this type of rod is not only easier to learn to cast with - but also easier to learn to fish with on creeks the size of many near you with without snagging every limb within sight with a 9 footer. It just depends on who reads the thread.

@springer1: I've been meaning to try one of those cheap Eagle claw rods. I *really* love decent, cheap rods - they allow me to have a really diverse collection of rods without blowing my budget. I could use it for letting my fiance or relatives learn to fly fish. They also seem like they be great for dry flies since they have a slower action. I'd have to decide between the 8' 5/6wt, or the 6'6" 3/4 wt...

I'd have to decide between the 8' 5/6wt, or the 6'6" 3/4 wt...
Some people would prefer to stay at 7'6" or under for this type glass as longer can get heavier in weight. Other people say it doesn't matter to them. But no doubt that more advanced types of glass are lighter at 8' than the Eagle Claw. But find some reviews on line and you'll read that the newer (not older) Eagle Claw feather-lights fish surprisingly nice and are easy to learn on. Here's one .....

http://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogspot.com/2010/06/eagle-claw-featherlight-series.html

Note their comment that it's best to start with the larger line weight if the rod is weighted for 2 ..... although many new lines now state they are actually 1/2 "heavier" than listed.

Some people like the softer action of glass others don't - its a personal thing like anything else.

@springer1: I've been meaning to try one of those cheap Eagle claw rods. I *really* love decent, cheap rods - they allow me to have a really diverse collection of rods without blowing my budget. I could use it for letting my fiance or relatives learn to fly fish. They also seem like they be great for dry flies since they have a slower action. I'd have to decide between the 8' 5/6wt, or the 6'6" 3/4 wt...

The Eagle Claw Lack Eagle at Wally World casts surprisingly well - and at $22, it's a steal. You can't buy the reel seat and cork for $22. It does have a weird spinning type stipping guide, but again...$22. I have two set-ups as loaners and for friends who want to try fly fishing.

Back