Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Need Euro Nympher Mentor

From Clearfield
I'm no expert but.. Tight lining is all about feel. The sooner you can feel the fly the better off you're going to be.

Posted on: 3/13 9:41

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

csoult wrote:
I'm no expert but.. Tight lining is all about feel. The sooner you can feel the fly the better off you're going to be.

While you can often feel the takes with tight-line set ups, you shouldn't rely on feel when fishing the flies. If you can feel the weight of the flies, that usually means you are leading them too aggressively, or the flies are too heavy, or both. Feedback should be primarily visual and strikes usually can be seen before felt. There are exceptions of course. You can jig streamers on a tight line and actively leading flies is an established method. However, there is a lot of misconception about "tight line" techniques, the amount of tension on the leader being one, and the weight of the flies being another. While removing slack and sag in the leaders is beneficial and important, you can over do it and hurt your presentation. The goal should be removing slack, not bossing the flies or trying to maintain constant contact via feel. There is a narrow margin between those things. If you think these methods work well when you are fishing a lot weight and keeping to your leader truly "tight", trying backing off on both a little and I think you will find that your effectiveness increases yet again.

Posted on: 3/13 18:31

From Burke VA
Quote:

csoult wrote:

Kev beat me to the punch but you need to know when to "break" contact too. You can still detect strikes even when slowing down drifts with no lead. If you're feeling the fly the entire time you're going too fast, especially if you can't use weight.

Posted on: 3/13 19:15

I had 2 mentors, my father and his friend Bob. In 1966 +-, at the age of 15, Bob took me to the Bushkill Creek below Ressica Falls in late May or early June when the big stoneflies were hatching. The rocks were covered with nymph shucks. We started at the Chapel Pool. Bob gave me a large stonefly nymph and a split shot. He told me/showed me how to fish it. Hold your arm and the rod straight out after you cast upstream. Gather in the line as your rod follows the fly. You will feel it bouncing on the bottom, and you will lose some flies. He called it a dead-free drift. And catch fish we did. This still applies today, staying in connection with the fly. Although my first love is fishing a dry fly, over the years I caught most fish on a nymph. Simply more opportunity.

Posted on: 3/13 21:15

From Chester County
"Feel" is involved at times. I fish weighted flies but I may add splitshot to my nymph rig. I do both or either depending on conditions.

In heavy water I often take off my point fly and add weight (splitshot) on the point. I discovered a long time ago, the weight at the end of the rig is more sensitive to feel because the flies are in front of the weight making a direct connection to the fish. Plus the shot rides the bottom rather than a fly causing less snags. Finally, it is easy to add or subtract shot to fine tune the rig.

With my weight on the point (now called a dropshot rig) I will add shot until I feel it ticking on the bottom during the drift. If one were to use this rig striking by sight instead of feel, they would automatically strike at ticks on the bottom if the sighter or indy moved. You can get a feel for the bottom as well feel strikes from fish when flossing the rocks with this rig.

Posted on: 3/14 7:48

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I discovered a long time ago, the weight at the end of the rig is more sensitive to feel because the flies are in front of the weight making a direct connection to the fish.

I agree. I'm totally convinced that droppers fished above the weight, whether it be a heavier fly or split shot, are vastly superior to flies trailing the weight in the manner that most anglers have traditionally set up their nymphing rigs. I've almost totally switched to a drop shot rigs.

Posted on: 3/14 8:49

From Clearfield
Quote:

PennKev wrote:
Quote:

csoult wrote:

If you think these methods work well when you are fishing a lot weight and keeping to your leader truly "tight", trying backing off on both a little and I think you will find that your effectiveness increases yet again.

I find the opposite to be true, but I am a novice at it.

Posted on: 3/14 10:19

From Lancaster
I have found that being flexible and willing to change your rig to meet the existing depth of water and flow rate are critical. Sometimes tight lining, sometimes indicator nymphing, sometimes shot added, shot taken off, drop shot or no shot. If you continue to fish varying depth and flow conditions with the same set up all day you will catch a fair number of fish in certain areas and swear other areas are void of fish (even if you know they are in there). If the fish are looking up put the dredging nymphs away and fish some soft hackles higher in the column. I’m getting better at it but still have a whole lot to learn. I have over many years learned the hard way that fishing in a rut is not the answer to success.

Posted on: 3/14 18:26

Posts 31 to 38 really helped me understand some things, thanks guys.

Ron

Posted on: 3/14 22:37

From Peasant Gap
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

There is a name for this: Spin fishing with a fly rod.

I didn't come up with that name. I heard that around the mid-1990s.

People have been fishing with mono on fly rods and reels for a long time.

Decades ago in his book, George Harvey wrote about a streamer fisherman who used only mono to good affect.

There’s nothing new under the Sun.

Posted on: 3/17 3:45

From Jersey Shore, PA
Since I don't frequent this sight much I just came upon this thread today.

WB, I've been fishing this style of nymphing since the mid-70's and for most of that time I used a 9' rod since for many years the longer rods appropriate to this type of fishing weren't readily available here.

As for the leaders, when I wrote an article for Fly Fisherman magazine back in the day the term "sighter" wasn't used, as well. Since my leader used colored material I came up with the label "vari-colored leader." Of course, back then we didn't have the term "suspension nymphing" to refer to fishing with an attached strike indicator, either. How times have changed.

I agree with whomever stated they don't like to call it Euro nymphing. I didn't know anything about the Europeans fishing this way back when I was exposed to it here in PA many years ago. Besides, there has been some much "hybridization" of these styles here in the U.S. it is far more accurate to refer to it as short line nymphing, contact nymphing, or whatever.

There are any number of folks competent to teach this style of nymphing and I would certainly agree that this would be the best way of learning; however, there's so much material - written, video, etc.- available, too. Only problem with these is you can't get answers to your questions on the spot.

There are many misconceptions among anglers about this style of nymphing. I always encourage someone to give some serious thought to analyzing what really goes on with this style of nymphing as well as indicator fishing.

Posted on: 3/26 12:52

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>
Polls
Has the Internet helped or hurt your fly fishing experiences?
Helped 90% (29)
Hurt 9% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2019/9/29 17:31
Comments?

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com