HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Need Euro Nympher Mentor

From York & Starlight, PA
jifigz wrote;

Quote:
I want to change and adapt in many different ways through the course of a full days fishing and I'd like to do that without swapping out rods, etc.

Agreed, that would be a pain in the butt if the rod/line/leader you were using was so specialized that you couldn't start casting little dry flies to a pod of 18" wild browns. Since I have a drift boat my plan was to just bring a 3rd rod with me. A #5 for traditional nymphing and small streamers, a #4 for most of the dry fly work, and a Euro rod setup. Then I can use whatever rod/technique best fits the situation.

Posted on: 3/5 23:00

acristikid wrote;

Quote:
I once drove 5 hours or whatever it was to the Missouri and my fishing partner (euro nympher) first words upon laying eyes on the Missouri- “This sucks , I wanna go back to the Madison”

Yep, the Missouri surely does not have very much nymphing water. At least not nearly as much as "The Fifty Mile Long Riffle" as some lovingly call the Madison. But then it doesn't have very many honest 20" - 21" rainbows or 21" - 24" browns either rising pretty much all day long.

This rainbow measured 21".

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0988 (600x450).jpg (84.44 KB)
2548_5c7f4a39b6dcc.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 3/5 23:06

From Burke VA
Wbranch, I have a pair of 10 foot 4 weight rods that I use to nymph with. While I don't have a strict euro nymphing style, I will be happy to show you what I know when I make it up there this year. I will shoot you another PM shortly. Also that is a beautiful fish!

Posted on: 3/8 20:38

From Hershey
I'm with the last few posts. I don't even call it euro nymphing anymore. I call direct connection nymphing, however you choose to do it.
I customarily use dries 80% of the time and many times on the WB or other places don't carry nymphs. When I do choose to use them I cut the tippet from my Zen furled leader and attach 18" of two tone sighter and then tippet. The rig is just enough to have a teeny bit of fly line out of the tip top.
I then use the direct connection feel to the to nymph bouncing bottom. Pretty much the same thing without all the hoopla. If I need to switch back to dries its easy.

Posted on: 3/9 7:31

Hello Ryan,

Quote:
I have a pair of 10 foot 4 weight rods that I use to nymph with.

Hey, that would be neat. I hate to go out and buy a specialized 10' #3 rod if I find out I can do almost as good with a first generation Sage Light Line (soft tip) 9' #4. I'll reverse my WF#3 line, buy one of those fancy Rio Euro leaders and give it a whirl on the nice riffle near my cabin. I bought a bunch of hooks and beads from PenKev and have tied almost fifty Euro style nymphs this week.

Posted on: 3/10 20:07

From New york
These videos helped me a lot...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ObcDRwrlbuo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e7wwl1zPpNY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=krs85oX5Hfk

If you really wanted to you could hire George Daniel and Dominick swentosky to guide for a day as well...I’m guessing that would help the learning curve quite a bit. Also with a long mono leader if you want to throw streamers, there’s no need to change your leader. you’d be surprised how far you could cast a streamer with some weight to it with nothing but 30lb mono and 5ft of tippet.

Posted on: 3/10 22:14

ryc72 wrote;

Quote:
If you really wanted to you could hire George Daniel and Dominick swentosky to guide for a day as well...

I'd rather tough it out by myself than pay anybody, no matter how good they are, $500 - $1000 a day for tutelage.

Posted on: 3/10 23:23

How far can you throw a weighted streamer with nothing but mono?

Posted on: 3/11 9:15

Far. I've fished streamers with the mono rig and it's like casting a spinning rod almost. 30ft is about what I can cast accurately but can cast 50ft but not as accurate. I can nymph, switch over to streamers and with pre-spooled rigs it takes only a minute to switch them out. I don't fish dries with it but you can, I prefer standard fly line for dries.
It's a good fishing system and I catch considerably more fish with it than I did without it. I've fished my entire life mostly salt water and am new to ffing (4 years) and have used the mono rig for about a year. It's worth looking into.

Posted on: 3/11 13:33

Got ya. Thanks.

Posted on: 3/11 14:13

From New york
pretty far. i set up a 40ft 30lb mono butt section to a tippet ring and put 5ft of 3x tippet on it with a couple of shot and a lightly weighted streamer and i could cast the entire leader. i couldve cast further but it got awkward once the fly line started getting into my hands and guides. but i could properly cast and haul the entire 40ft of mono easily. and i dont consider myself a particularly good caster. im hoping to test the distance in the near future as i have another setup with over 100ft of the same 30lb mono on another reel. that being said, the 30lb mono isnt the easiest to strip and handle especially with wet hands but with some persistence and practice you can get pretty decent at managing the mono. but if you could find an opaque mono it pretty much kills the need for any sighter or anything. straight 30lb mono to a tippet ring then to tippet has worked just fine for me. i could nymph at a pretty good distance too. ive done the same with 25lb amnesia and that works pretty well too but its not opaque so you have to focus a lil harder visually.

Posted on: 3/11 14:33

Quote:

3sip wrote:
Far. I've fished streamers with the mono rig and it's like casting a spinning rod almost. 30ft is about what I can cast accurately but can cast 50ft but not as accurate. I can nymph, switch over to streamers and with pre-spooled rigs it takes only a minute to switch them out. I don't fish dries with it but you can, I prefer standard fly line for dries.
It's a good fishing system and I catch considerably more fish with it than I did without it. I've fished my entire life mostly salt water and am new to ffing (4 years) and have used the mono rig for about a year. It's worth looking into.

There is a name for this: Spin fishing with a fly rod.

I didn't come up with that name. I heard that around the mid-1990s.

People have been fishing with mono on fly rods and reels for a long time.

Posted on: 3/11 15:41

From Chester County
Quote:

moon1284 wrote:
How far can you throw a weighted streamer with nothing but mono?

^ Using a Belgian cast aka tension cast you can really fling them.

Like Troutbert said, mono rigs on a fly rod has been done for a long time.

When I was a little kid stream fishing for trout in the 60's, I can recall a bunch of old guys out on the stream with tattered vests and hats, and smoking pipes while fishing mono with their fly rods. Some used wet flies or streamers and many fished bait.

My best advice for anyone looking to try tightline nymphing is to go back and click on the three links posted by Rcy72 above from a George Daniel seminar and/or buy his book "Dynamic nymphing". Rig up and give it a whirl. No need to go out and buy special tackle right now. All it takes is a little practice to become fairly proficient.

Tight lines as they say...

Posted on: 3/11 16:30

troutbert wrote;

Quote:
There is a name for this: Spin fishing with a fly rod.

You took the post right out of my fingers! I was about to say the same thing. I can take my 12' match rod with my Plueger reel 8# braid with a piece of 4' 5X Uni knotted to the braid, two tungsten bead heads and cast 40' effortlessly and get a perfect 20' -30' drift.

This is basically what guys with fly rods and straight mono are doing with the pretense it is fly fishing. Sure it is.

It may be called fly fishing but in some states, I think PA is one of them, straight mono over 18' long doesn't meet the letter of the law for maximum leader length.

Posted on: 3/12 19:53

From New york
I don’t believe that leader regulation applies everywhere in the state but only to specific fisheries...

https://pfbc.pa.gov/fishpub/summaryad/catchreleaseffo.html

Posted on: 3/12 21:56

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com