My two Starter kit options...

Eric-A

Eric-A

So I narrowed down my starter kits to:

Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo

And the

DELUXE 3/4 Fly Fishing Starter Package

What you guys think?

Last time I Fished Fly's Was with a Spey Rod on salmon rivers in my native Finland, 100 years ago....

Anyhow I'm looking for a decent kit for the small trout streams here in Northampton County PA.

Thanks

Eric

Also here are email replies that I got when I asked where these Kits were made:

[color=660033]"Dear Eric:

Thank you for contacting Cabela's Customer Relations Department Live Help.

The Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo is made in China.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Your interest in Cabela's products and services is appreciated. I look forward to working with you in the future."[/color]

And:

[color=663300]"Eric,

Our Starter Package components are manufactured for us by our supply factory in China. Our Lines come from Canada, the backing comes from CT and our flies are made for us by a supplier in Kenya. We are responsible for loading the reel with backing, line and leader and we assemble all the components for the package ourselves.

Heidi Dodds
VP Sales

Wild Water Fly Fishing, LLC"[/color]

FWIW.

Eric

Have you taken a look at what any of your local fly shops have? They could put one together for exactly what you want to do. Worth a look.

there are no local fly shops that have that sort of thing.

there's heritage, which will have an assortment of weird old stuff. ymmv as to its value to you.

there's ll bean, which will have a tiny assortment of branded gear. they may be having their big fishing sale soon (20% off branded gear), why not call up and ask? their streamlight rods are cheap and well constructed. its backed up what really is the best warranty in the business.

or, there's a trip to cabela's, tco, or orvis in plymouth meeting.

I'll do a +1 for LL Bean. I Purchased a Quest 7'6" 4 wt and enjoy it immensely. It's their low end outfit, but if your budget is tight you may want to give it a try. If you go to the store, they will take you outside to cast it, just ask. Can't beat their no questions asked return policy.

I ordered the Wild Water DELUXE 3/4 Fly Fishing Starter Package.

I'll try it, Probably put a different line on it if the line it comes with is terrible.

Worst case scenario I'll buy something else and keep it for a spare...

Too bad, Eric-A. I just put a Reddington Crosswater combo on in the swap forum for $75. Needs fly line, but other than that, its mint and is an EXCELLENT combo for the buck!

All put my vote in for Cabellas warrenty. Snapped two rods of they exchanged for (similar value) w/out a receipt ... no questions asked. The rod is their brand.

Stagger_Lee wrote:
All put my vote in for Cabellas warrenty. Snapped two rods of they exchanged for (similar value) w/out a receipt ... no questions asked. The rod is their brand.

The snapped rods were from the really big fish.

I have two Cabelas rods of various vintage. More than good as starters...IMO

I've been fishing a $100 Redington Crosswater for going on 6 years now. Haven't found a good enough reason to upgrade althought I'd love to for no other reason than to have a high quality rod and real.

Got the kit today, Looks pretty solid and feels good in the hand.

Rod is Medium/slow and well made with no cosmetic issues.

Reel is almost a bit heavy, Very sturdy with a good brake that I most likely will never use.

I took the Line off the reel and it looks good.

16 Flies, 3 tapered leaders and 25m of tippet as well

Nice box for the flies seems sturdy and waterproof and a Tube with Zippered pockets to hold all of the above.

I'll hit the streams next week.

As for a cheap I would personally say go to wal mart buy a eagle claw black eagle 4/5w $22w tax, order a cabelllas wind river 3/4 reel $26 shipped and buy a good line for it. I really like the rio avid trout 4wt on that rod myself. But it is the rio grand taper with out the fancy slick additives. Or maybe go with a rio gold 5wt line just to soften up the rod/slow the action down a little bit.

Any ways thats my .02...

Back