Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: My Problem of Hooking Trout

From Bel Air, MD
Try this - the thread Fox tried to post Leader Thread

To address the leader question, I use both - purchased one-piece tapered leaders, and hand tied leaders. In general, I find that my hand tied leaders turn over much better than any one piece leader I have ever purchased. In particular, for things like bigger poppers and streamers for smallies.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 9:01

From Philadelphia
Thanks Steve.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 9:36

From MONTCO
Quote:

Volksnurse wrote:
LOL...good thing I'm secure in my manhoood...

I gave up on the manhood thing long ago. Just this morning, I was staring down Cliff's pink streamer box and thinking there's no way in hell I can lose that! I always laughed when hunting with guys with a camo knife. Yeah, drop that in the Fall and let me know how you make out. Red sunglass cases, orange duck tape, whatever it is, I want to see it so I don't lose it or forget it.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 9:39

From Clinton County, Pa.
Well it took me awhile to get thru the entire post. I guess I can give my opinion. I use 6x and 7x. I have never fished with anything less than 7x. Also the 7x is restricted to fishing tricos. If you want to reduce the drag on your fly use a longer piece of tippet material. The trout can see the tippet and they can also see the piece of metal sticking out of the fly's butt. They ignore both. It's the drag on the fly that turns them off.

Posted on: 2012/8/10 20:11

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
It's the drag on the fly that turns them off.

Was nice meeting you WTT

I think this is a major problem for me and I hope someone will be able to help me address it. I had problems on the forward cast when I hit '10 o'clock'. Don't really have a 'feel' for what I am doing at that point. Was in the yard practicing this week and I strated 'shooting/extending' my arm out a lil after 10 which felt ok but not sure if it is the right thing to do. Dan was telling me to "hit the button" with the thumb but not sure what that means..

At the jam, when the fly hits the h20, my tippet seemed to bunch up 80% of the time. That must be a problem in my presentation if I expect to catch any fish

Posted on: 2012/8/11 16:48

From LV
Stag your trouble with hooking trout has more to do with all the line on the water. Those huge 'S' curves on the water don't allow you to set the hook, by the time the line is straight enough to set the hook the trout is long gone.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 17:09

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
Stag your trouble with hooking trout has more to do with all the line on the water. Those huge 'S' curves on the water don't allow you to set the hook, by the time the line is straight enough to set the hook the trout is long gone.

So I 'shoot' to much line and should strip and mend (if necessary) once I present?

Posted on: 2012/8/11 17:15

From Lehigh Valley
Stagger - While I didn't get to work with you on casting at the Fish & Chips, I have seen your cast at other gatherings.

When I saw you at F&C, D-dawg was trying to correct your casting stroke, and doing a good job of it, so I just moved on.

This video will show you the basics. Pushing your hand forward at the end of the cast isn't the answer. I also doubt that you're actually "shooting line", and that shouldn't concern you until well after you get the basic casting stroke down pat.

Follow along with the video - you can use the butt section of your rod (no line or reel) indoors to help get the feel of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyThAv-WPSg

You're getting ahead of yourself. The slack in your line/leader is caused by not properly executing the forward cast. If you cast correctly, the line and leader will be straight out in front of you. While this isn't always prefereable to obtaining a drag free drift, it's something you need to master before worrying about introducing slack intentionally to your line.

Posted on: 2012/8/11 19:52

Edited by Heritage-Angler on 2012/8/11 20:12:25

From Couldn't Care Less
Quote:
Stagger - While I didn't get to work with you on casting at the Fish & Chips, I have seen your cast at other gatherings.

When I saw you at F&C, D-dawg was trying to correct your casting stroke, and doing a good job of it, so I just moved on.

This video will show you the basics. Pushing your hand forward at the end of the cast isn't the answer. I also doubt that you're actually "shooting line", and that shouldn't concern you until well after you get the basic casting stroke down pat.

Its weird, I saw a show with Nick Price fly fishing for bonefish some time ago and when I start loosing it I try to follow his technique. Who knows if casting for bonefish in the flats is different but that is what is in my head sometimes. Shame on me b/ I should probably only think of Price when I loose it on the golf course!

Quote:
Follow along with the video - you can use the butt section of your rod (no line or reel) indoors to help get the feel of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyThAv-WPSg

You're getting ahead of yourself. The slack in your line/leader is caused by not properly executing the forward cast. If you cast correctly, the line and leader will be straight out in front of you. While this isn't always prefereable to obtaining a drag free drift, it's something you need to master before worrying about introducing slack intentionally to your line.

Agree with you. I think if I can get my casting technique up to par my presentation will be better and then I can start worrying about the other issues. I have to practice lowering my arm at the end and build in some muscle memory. When she drops her arm I seem to be ‘throwing’ it out there (not sure if you guys know what I mean by that). Going to practice in my yard if I get some time this week

Thanks for the link .. goes into my new 'Joseywales' bookmark section of my web browser

Posted on: 2012/8/13 6:55

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com