Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Looking for some guidance with casting difficulties

From Lancaster Co.
Problem with back yard practice IMO is you don't get the resistance that helps load the rod like you do when picking line up off the water. Just two very different scenarios. Not saying off the water practice won't help but it doesn't seem to resemble the real thing.

Also, if I was practicing in the back yard I would nee to simulate tripping and stumbling on the rocks while attempting to cast at the same time. lol

Posted on: 2016/10/17 14:57

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
Also, if I was practicing in the back yard I would nee to simulate tripping and stumbling on the rocks while attempting to cast at the same time. lol

You should walk THEN fish, not walk AND fish. The two do not mix well, as you end up doing both very poorly. That said, I've made this mistake quite often. Ending up on my butt and hung up on an overhead tree, lol.

Posted on: 2016/10/17 16:00

From York & Starlight, PA
Well there were just too many other posts for me to read so if what I have to say is redundant..........sorry.

It is difficult to cast larger nymphs, sizes #10 and bigger, especially if they are weighted, with any rod lighter than a #6 unless you are a very accomplished fly caster. Ditto for casting any un-weighted streamers larger than a #4 or any weighted streamer larger than a #6 with a light line fly rod. Add a couple of BB's to the leader and you are courting either a broken rod or clunking yourself in the head with the BB's and impaling yourself with the hook.

While in a pinch I can cast a #4- #6 Clouser minnow with a lighter rod it surely isn't pretty. That is why when I plan to streamer fish for a period of a couple of hours I always rig up a 9' #6 rod for smaller Clousers and a 9'#7 or #8 rod for the really big irons like #2 - #1/0.

Regarding weight on the leader like BB's or other sizes of split shot - I never overhead (conventional back and forth) cast with split shot. It is a great way to break a rod since it is hard to get the timing right and you might be bringing the line forward and if the cast collapse the split shot can whack the rod and break it. I've done this and it sucks! I only roll cast split shot or perform the lovely "chuck and duck" cast. You let the fly and leader get directly below you and then raise the fly and weight in the water column until the fly and weight is just under the surface. Then you perform a power stroke to some point upstream and duck as the missiles go zipping past your head and ears about 60 mph. If you want to lengthen the cast you can perform the upstream cast then strip off some more line, pull the whole shebang out of the water and flip it downstream while releasing the added length of fly line. Then flip it back upstream to the approximate place you want to throw it.

Posted on: 1/4 22:29

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Which Opening Day Region are you from and will you fish Opening Day?
I live in the South East Regional area 27% (67)
I live in the Northeast Regional area 9% (23)
I will fish Opening Day in the NE Region 4/15 8% (22)
I will fish Opening Day in the SE Region 4/1 8% (22)
I will fish both the NE and SE Regional Opening Days 8% (22)
I will not fish either Opening Day 36% (89)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/4/15 8:55
6 Comments

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com