Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Let's talk lead.

From SEPA
When y'all apply split shot to the line, just how much are we talking about?

I've got a box of wee little ones, but it seems like they're too small. I actually picked up a set of BB sized from the regular tackle, as I know that's what the steelheaders prefer, but that's almost too much it seems.

So, what size(s) do you carry?

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:45

Re: Let's talk lead.
From Chester County
I use the "Water Gremlin" ones (with the ears) in size B (very small) and BB (pretty small). I pretty much gave up on micro shot, because they are difficult to put on, and almost impossible to take off. I use "Tungsten Tacky Weight" instead of micro shot.

And NO.......the ears have never made my fly or tippet spin, or hang up on the bottom like some claim. I've been using them for many years.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:51

From Bozeman
I carry a wheel of various micro shot, and a small package of water gremlin BBs.

If I'm not ticking bottom within the first few seconds of the drift, I'll add more. There are spots on bigger streams like penns where I've used two or three BB shot.

Afish's tungsten tacky weight is good stuff. I've tried to buy it twice, and the stuff I got sucked. It was hard, and would not stay on the tippet.

I've been meaning to ask you afish... where do you get it? Also, where do you get the B water gremlins? I almost never see them anywhere these days.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:52

From Greensburg, PA
B's and BB's...Had the same pack for years. They occasionally end up in the same pile as the change my wife finds in the laundry...I probably have enough in the front pocket of my waders to refill the original bag.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:54

From SEPA
Fair enough, I thought I had a pack of B sized somewhere, too, but perhaps not.

So you guys are using the BB sized ones vs the microshot, which I have and seem to only ever jump right to the biggest ones in the wheel anyways.

Rumour has it the earless ones open up if you pinch them perpendicular to the groove, instead of with it. That never works for me, either.

Tacky weight, one of those things I only ever think of when I'm here and not in a store.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:54

From Montgomery County
I carry a winged watergremlin variety pack and use those for the most part... usually BB. I like getting my flies in the zone as fast as possible. Sometimes I find water where those small flyfishing shot can be useful, but I'll usually just go to a weighted fly first.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:55

From Chester County
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I carry a wheel of various micro shot, and a small package of water gremlin BBs.

If I'm not ticking bottom within the first few seconds of the drift, I'll add more. There are spots on bigger streams like penns where I've used two or three BB shot.

Afish's tungsten tacky weight is good stuff. I've tried to buy it twice, and the stuff I got sucked. It was hard, and would not stay on the tippet.

Jay,

I just broke out a new batch a few weeks ago and I had the same problem. Maybe it's a manufacturing/QC problem, or perhaps it doesn't "age" well, I don't know.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:55

From Lewistown
I carry a shot wheel and it has 1, 2, 4, 6 all smaller than a B.

I however, weight my flies so sometimes a 6 is all I need to make the difference.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 10:57

From Monessen, PA
I try to stay small. The microshot are every bit as good at sinking nymphs as a beadhead. I like several of the tiny ones sometimes, depending upon the location. My preference is for Dinsmore, dimpled. I don't use them on dry flies at all.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 11:08

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I tend to use the microshot, usually multiples of the bigger ones. They are a pain to take off. On big fast water, I will occasionally go to bb sized used by baitfishers.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 11:17

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'm with pcray... I use the micros, but usually end up taking my bottom fly off to get them off the line and have some smaller winged bb's for a little bit bigger weight. I use some monster bb's for steelhead, but that's a different story. I put weight on about 90% of my nymphs to help take care of this problem. The more weight on my nymphs, the less I have to weight my line. I can hear my nymphs thud when I drop them in my container after I tie them up.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 11:27

From Florida
I like Dinsemore shot too. The dimple allows you to use your fingernail to pry them open, making it easy to take shot on and off, compared to other split shot brands I have tried.

I carry a shot wheel with sizes from #AB to #6 (I think). I use the #BBs, #1s, and #4s most often.

Posted on: 2010/4/14 16:32

- Ray Bergman

From New Castle, PA
I buy the "Super Doux" shot selections as it's the best that my local shop carries. The shot is easy to pinch and stays put. I use mostly the 4's and 6's but the smaller sizes are usefull, particularly for dry/dropper rigs, small flies just under the surface, etc.

I've used Dinsmore but don't like light weight of the tin shot and I don't like the ones covered in that green crap either. They don't hold the tippet well in my opinon and I even crimp them with pliers.

For larger shot I use Watergremlin. I also like the new non-toxic shot that they have. It's pretty shiny but it grabs the line well and has more than enough weight to it.

Kev

Posted on: 2010/4/14 20:12

From Johnstown, PA
I don't use it often but there is probably 30lbs of it in my vest , everything from soft lead (like putty) , to various size shot to strips to lead core trolling line to use for sink tips and on and on and , i weight alot of my sub surface flies when i'm tying them so to answer this question as honestly as i can i gotta say that constant adjustment of the weight and placement of the weight is critical to success with sub-surface imitations , be willing to adjust when you need to , i know it's a hassle but if you at least lean (not because of the 30lbs of lead in your vest) in that direction , constant evaluation and adjustment of the weight will pay off.

Posted on: 2010/4/15 6:42

Since this thread started I picked up water gremlin BB shot and also 1/128th micro and have been experimenting. Between the 2 sizes I really can't see myself needing anything else.

Posted on: 2010/4/17 23:11

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com