Learning curve

trout412

trout412

Hello everyone, im completly new to flyfishing and this forum. I really want to thank u guys for all the good info on the site. Ive always fished for trout but just recently bought my first fly rod and im hooked for life. Ive been out on a the yough, meadow run, and dunbar creek and i managed to catch a few trout but i know im not making the best out of my time on the water. Im doing alot of reading and talking to other flyfishermen and shop owners trying to grasp all the tips and techniques but i wanted to get some suggestions on learning the sport. I think it would help if i had some time on the water with a more seasoned fisherman. I live in monroeville and do most of my fishing in westmoreland, fayette and sommerset. Should i look into private lessons or somthing like a orvis school? Any suggestions would be great.

The more time you spend on the water with a seasoned angler the better off you will be. Lessons would work well I think. Stay tuned to this site there is an awful lot of useful information floating around here if you can sift through the threads.

Trout412,
Welcome to the Paff forums. The Beginner's Forum is a great place to ask basic questions about the sport. It's no substitute for on the water experience or classes, but it's great for getting feedback or advice. Fly fishing (FFing) is a complex and esoteric sport and, usually, specific questions are easier to answer. It sounds like you're having some luck already.

It is my opinion that you need a couple of experienced buddies or a seasoned mentor. Guess what? You found a great place to acquire such talents. I have made it a point to try to learn something new every time I go out with another angler. Experienced guys can learn a ton by watching a newbie work his ways through his mistakes, while at the same time provide an extraordinary boost in the skills of the newbie. There are a lot of great guys out your way.

May I also suggest joining a TU and participating in meetings? You will meet a ton (well maybe a couple) of guys that you could fish with in your area.

Hire a guide from the shop you spend time talking about the sport. MHO.. That's the best thing one can do by not milking the shop owner just for information, give him a bone and i'm sure he will probably help you connect with other people in your area that will teach you and also enjoy your company on the stream.

Another good way of learning is stick around and be active on the forums, you will then meet plenty of people who will be more then willing to help you out. B/c most people are not what they are on these forums and are usually glad to teach one all about the sport they also love. Even if they seem like a jerk at times online .LOL

jdaddy wrote:
I have made it a point to try to learn something new every time I go out with another angler. Experienced guys can learn a ton by watching a newbie work his ways through his mistakes, while at the same time provide an extraordinary boost in the skills of the newbie.

If you are referring to watching me fumble around clumsily with my line, you are welcome.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah wrote:
Hire a guide from the shop you spend time talking about the sport. MHO.. That's the best thing one can do by not milking the shop owner just for information, give him a bone and i'm sure he will probably help you connect with other people in your area that will teach you and also enjoy your company on the stream.

I agree with this, however I would suggest getting small incremental basics from the guide/shop. First I would hire a few hours of casting at the shop. Don't drag them out to a stream. Learn solid 4 part cast . Then I would practice. Then a few more hours with the casting instructor to see what ya did wrong. Then get a half day out on the stream to figure out to get a good drift, on stream entomology, etc.

Summary:
Get FFF certified casting instructor, then let him guide you.

jdaddy wrote:
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah wrote:

I agree with this, however I would suggest getting small incremental basics from the guide/shop. First I would hire a few hours of casting at the shop. Don't drag them out to a stream. Learn solid 4 part cast . Then I would practice. Then a few more hours with the casting instructor to see what ya did wrong. Then get a half day out on the stream to figure out to get a good drift, on stream entomology, etc.

Summary:
Get FFF certified casting instructor, then let him guide you.

+1 What Jdaddy said above. That's some great advice given.

Padraic, always said the best move he made was getting lessions, for the fishing tactic and casting. he turned out to be a pretty good fisherman.

At the time I started, I didn't know anyone one who flyfished, so I read all I could, not many vids at that time. I did a lot of watching, went over to YB and the Run and just sit and watched.

So my sugestion to you would be to get lessions and read and watch all the vids you can. Most of all find someone from here and tag along with them, a lot of great fishermen here.

PaulG

Pick something specific that you want to learn more about (ie. casting, nymphing, streamers, etc.) and then put in as much time as you can on the stream trying to figure it out. If you're going to spend money on a guide or a class, make sure you have a specific objective in mind in terms of what you want to learn and choose your instructor accordingly.

Casting is probably the first thing you should learn, though a lot of guys seem to learn to nymph without ever learning to cast properly. I suppose that's alright.

Casting lessons are not terribly expensive. Way less then a guided fishing trip. My suggestion is to ask for a half hour at a time and get a half dozen lessons over a period of a few months. Practice regularly and attentively in between.

As the season comes around again in the spring, many shops will have a one day intro/refresher class. I paid just north of a hundred bucks, but that's going back a few years. You'll get all the same information you would in an intro book, but somehow having someone discuss it makes it all fresh and new. Bring your flyboxes and your vest. IF THERE IS TIME, ask the instructor to go over things with you. How to organize your equipment and when/how/where to fish flies etc.

After you've pursued both of those options, a guided day might be in order if you still feel frustrated. Explain that you want to go over techniques and learning and that the catching of fish is not important. Otherwise the guide may spend too much time trying to get you into fish, when you want to discuss flies, presentation and reading streams. If there was no time to go over gear at the intro class, this would be a great time to do that. All beginning anglers carry way too much stuff. I used to wear a vest that made me look like the Michelin Man. Most of it is useless, and someone with a little experience should be able to help you winnow down your gear to a reasonable level.

A lot of good advise here from some very good anglers.
I am summarizing here, but it think it holds true.

• Learn how to cast and practice! I still want to improve my casting after almost 30 years. A lesson would be a good way to start.

• Hang out with some folks that can share with you what they know. I had a couple of friends start me on my way and still learn from them today. This site is a way to to team up with folks throughout the year.

• Read some books. I always spend the winter reading up on places to go and about the trout tactics. You can cruise through the Print, Video, and Audio forum to get an some ideas for some great resources.

• Take advantage Paflyfish and especially the Beginners forum. It is a great forum to ask any question you want! Always solid support and answers here.

• Pay it forward. Help out with TU and other conservation groups and projects. When your time comes, help some else keep that in mind too. I built this site based on the support of friends that taught me how to fly fish and ask that we all do the same. As mentioned, we have a great community of anglers here as a result.

Glad to have you here.

I certainly do encourage you to find a "seasoned" angler and go with them, it will speed the learning curve. This site is a good place to do that.

That said, I myself am pretty much self taught. Oh, I had a background of baitfishing and knew how to read water and such. I had some influences along the way. But by and large, I spent a lot of time on the water. A true passion for the sport will turn you into a seasoned angler quickly. A few points:

1. Vary your experiences. This sport is really regional, and one shop, guide, or geographic area will teach you one method and ignore others. Even experienced anglers get in ruts, where they're fishing the same 3 or 4 streams over and over and they tend to not be very rounded, and struggle to translate skills to new streams and conditions. Rather, go to a bunch of different styled streams, fish with a bunch of people, fish different stream and weather conditions, etc. You'll be better for it in the long run.

2. There are no "right" answers. One danger of going the "seasoned" angler companion method is falling into whatever rut they're into. They're going to tell you "the right thing to do in this situation is ______". I mean, certainly, take that advice and give it a shot. But be willing to be your own person too, try stuff. The "expert" just might learn a thing or two.

3. Cover water. I'm huge on this. Keep moving. Your most effective cast in any hole is your first one. Unless I'm hemmed in by people, I throw 3 or 4 casts to a spot and move on. On small streams, I can cover miles in a few hours. On large streams, you often get hemmed in by people, and may have 100 yards or so to yourself. In those situations, I start at the bottom and fish the whole thing, and then, if going further is problematic, I go back to the bottom and fish the same water again. Just that 10-15 minute "break" for any fish makes you much more successful than standing over the fish and casting repeatedly to him.

Welcome aboard. The previous posters have given you a world of great advice. I'd encourage you to READ READ READ ,thats pretty much how I started. GG

Thanks for all the advice guys

I started fly fishin and put way 2 much pressure on myself. Remeber it suposed to be fun and relaxing. And nobody has everything about this sport "wired" in there head. You get better by learning something evertime your out.You'll get more productive if you recognise situations and put that knowledge to work. And remeber flyfishing is about more than numbers and hwho caught the biggest...

trout,

I am in Indiana Co. and would be happy to help you learn a few things... I'm by no means the best, but offer all I have.

With that said, I have lifetime passes to Yellow Creek Trout Club; great place to learn nymphing/swinging. Another stream that gets fingerling browns each fall that is my spring-time water; a bit difficult to fish, but worth every minute. Both of these streams never freeze in the winter as they are both tailwaters. I have also fished the majority of wild freestone streams in the tri-county vicinity. Fishing small streams like these, imo, is the core of learning, especially for casts beyond roll casting. You learn line control and how to stay in a casting lane, as well as dry fly technique.

throw me a pm if interested and we can exchange phone numbers.

Back