Leaders and tippet on an 8wt.

auriemma

auriemma

I recently bought a 9'0" 8wt. My first outing with it, I set it up like my 4 wt (4x leader and tippet). I was using woolly buggers and bass poppers. They turned over OK, but not great. Should I be considering heavier leaders and tippet? Say 0x or 1x?

A 9' 0x down to a 2x tippet leader would probably serve you better for bass flies because over better turnover of the flies and less break offs.

HTH

Great video Fredrick. Have you done this and if so what lb mono do you use?

The rule of thumb is to use the lb mono that matches the weight of your rod but I usually go a size bigger I use 10lb Berkley vanish on my 8wt . all my bass and salt rods have one of these leaders on them . I have had great results thus far . Just watch out if you make a extra long leader the ends like to twist together during the furl

Do they float? Or do you have to grease them?

I like using fluro so mine sink fast but you probably need to hit it up with some mucilin for reg mono

I am going to try it. I have been wanting to try furled leaders but I didn't want to pay the price.

I was using gurglers on my 7wt last weekend and i had 3x flouro which did not perform well, major twisting! I was switching from streamers to poppers so i didnt want to change tippet....ultimately i did and used 8lb maxima chameleon for the gurglers....worked great.

Word of advice from someone who has furled leaders using that video....

When you start, tie the two 'tag' ends to swivels that are attached to something with maybe a foot of distance between them, I use the back of a chair. This allows for the tag ends to spin making furling easier. It also allows a constant pressure to be applied to the furl (you don't want a lot of pressure) so the furl remains tight and consistent throughout.

Hmmmm. Seems simple enough. may have to give furled leaders a try. I especially like the loop to loop connection at the Tippett to leader connection.

I managed a 7' furled leader on my first attempt using 10 lb. mono for my 8wt. Came out very well. I look forward to trying it out. Its a double twist for 4.5' then single twist for the rest. I need to use a longer piece to start next time.

I tried making one with 4lb mono for my 4wt. As I was twisting the top, the bottom was making a squirrel's nest. I may need to try the chair and swivels that wsender suggested.

Back