Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Leaders, whos making them vs just buying tapered?

From Parkesburg
PCRAY,

I guess your just that good man! I have had it happen a few times even when it is tied properly so I avoid tying the dreaded nail knot and just use the loop to loop connection. I remember streamer fishing once and I had a pretty heavy leader and I got caught in a tree with the streamer. I pointed my rod at the fly and pulled trying to snap the line but my line did not snap and my nail knot failed. It stripped the cover off of my fly line.

I think I am going to try experimenting with an Albright knot. Can anybody provide an feedback as to how it stacks up against a nail knot?

Posted on: 2012/9/5 13:57

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
That doesn't seem, at least to me, to speak to the quality of the knot. It's not that I'm making a better knot than you. Your knot didn't fail. Your fly line underneath did. Knot is still perfectly fine tightened around a fly line cover. Right?

My guess is one of two things.

1. Speaks to the quality or condition of the fly line itself. i.e. your fly line cover may be weaker than mine. or

2. Your using smaller diameter butt material, thus rather than tightening around the fly line, you're actually cutting it.

Either way, something can be learned here. I've used various Rio lines as well as Orvis Wonderline with no issues. I cut the loop off first. I generally try to make my butt material about 2/3 the diameter of the fly line, which ranges from 0.018 up to 0.022 or so.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 16:17

From Souderton PA
I've come to realize that the only thing more enjoyable than a good leader thread is a good "which vise is better" thread. The leader and connection method that works for you is the best one...for you.
I have mentioned Joseph Kissane's book "Drag-Free Drift" before, and I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to better understand leaders in all shapes and sizes. He makes a statement at the beginning of the book that had really stuck with me. It was something along the lies of, we spend thousands of dollars on rods, reels, and lines, agonize over the choice of fly down the smallest detail, and then make the most critical connection between those two parts with little thought and as inexpensively as possible.
I'm a hand tied leader fan, and I forced myself to learn to tie bloodknots without a tool so I can modify as needed on the stream. I've tried furled, braided, and extruded leaders, and for various reasons I like hand tied best. But I wouldn't know that if I didn't experiment. That is what I think everyone should do. Try them all and find out what works best for you.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 21:18

« 1 2 3 (4)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com