Leader broke or poor knot?

arbor1

arbor1

i was fishing the FFO section of the Perky today and landed a rather large rainbow, had him almost in my net and pow, he broke free with my Copper John. I examined the line and it looked like a pigs tail. I'm thinking it was a poor knot, but I'm not 100% sure. I was using a 5x leader. I'm just looking for some insight hear to see what you guys think what happened. Also, the trout still had the fly in his mouth when he broke free, will this affect him in any way. I sure hope not cause he's a dandy!

Having seen plenty of fish in my fish tank knocking Ick-covered sides against rocks to scratch, I always assume that any fish hooked with a barbless hook will perform the same sort of manuver underwater.

As for the break, since you saw a little curly-q at the end, its a good bet the knot gave up. It happens, the more you abuse 'em the more likely it is. When you cinch it down, drool on it a bit and tug on the tag end as well as the main end.

Gfen, That's what I was figuring too. I will try and get more lube on the knot before I cinch down on it.

gfen wrote:

...and tug on the tag end as well as the main end.

Never pull on the tag end of a clinch knot, as the knot may not form properly. Pull on the leader side only.

Pulling on the tag end when you tighten the knot can result in exactly what happened to arbor1.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
gfen wrote:

...and tug on the tag end as well as the main end.

Never pull on the tag end of a clinch knot, as the knot may not form properly. Pull on the leader side only.

Pulling on the tag end when you tighten the knot can result in exactly what happened to arbor1.
I always pull on the leader side and then check it by pulling on the leader and the fly to make sure it won't snap loose. I kind of rushed the knot when changing fly's so maybe I skipped that.

I tie all my knots with one of those tie-right little pens and when I use the clinch knot I always pull it tight by just pulling the pen away to tighten. I haven't had any problems this year yet knock on wood. I am sure the fish will be fine it will just have a new piercing to show off to his friends.

I grab the fly and the tippet and pull. You'll know that your knot is right when it looks like a bee hive. After tying a few hundred, you'll get the hang of it lol.

Anyone ever try the Orvis Knot, strongest knot I've used, one thing however you need an equally strong tippet to leader knot or loop.

Also check your knots frequently, I made that mistake last week after "roughing" up my tippet on trees, rocks, etc. I had a beauty brown break me off and found the abrasions on the tippet, you never know when that one fish is going to strike so be ready at all times.

I like using UV Knot Sense made by Loon Outdoors. I have found when tying tippet to leaders, or making tappered leaders, a small dot of this "glue" on the knot will make it appear to be an amost seamless connection between the two lines while also making the knot stronger. The best part is that with a UV light this "glue" will dry in seconds. They also make a UV Wader Repair glue that is equally as helpful.

Yup, knot came loose. The solution is to get better at tying knots. Pulling all the right areas, lube, etc. helps. But the primary culprit is most often simply not putting enough twists in it.

Assuming it wasn't a stainless hook, it will rust out in short order, and the fish will be fine.

But the primary culprit is most often simply not putting enough twists in it.

How many twists do you put in a clinch not? I use no less than 5. Also, for the discussion, I have read that there is no benefit gained from an improved clinch knot...anyone?

BelAirSteve wrote:
But the primary culprit is most often simply not putting enough twists in it.

How many twists do you put in a clinch not? I use no less than 5. Also, for the discussion, I have read that there is no benefit gained from an improved clinch knot...anyone?

The heavier the tippet, the fewer the twists. For 5x, I use 5 twists. For 3x, I use 4. For super heavy bite tippets and stuff, usually just 3.

As for improved vs plain clinch: It's one extra tiny step. I fail to see a reason why you wouldn't do it. I have never had an improved flat out slip (zero breakage), but have had it happen with plain clinch knots.

I don't know how many I put in, don't count. I don't know if everyone else does it this way, but I hold the line, twist the fly, and just do it till it feels right, then check it after tightening it down.

But yeah, you need less with heavier diameter line. Also, fluoro tends to slip more on me, I need more twists for it.

I use a regular clinch knot, because thats what I learned, it's easy, and I rarely have issues with it. If I was learning over I'd probably do an improved clinch or some other type of knot.

pcray1231 wrote:
I don't know how many I put in, don't count. I don't know if everyone else does it this way, but I hold the line, twist the fly, and just do it till it feels right, then check it after tightening it down.

But yeah, you need less with heavier diameter line. Also, fluoro tends to slip more on me, I need more twists for it.

I use a regular clinch knot, because thats what I learned, it's easy, and I rarely have issues with it. If I was learning over I'd probably do an improved clinch or some other type of knot.

Old dog? :lol:

Back