Leader/ tippet size

T

TonyBuda

When fishing with a nymph, how do you know if the fly is to heavy for your leader/ tippet?

When fishing nymphs the tippet range most commonly fished is from 3x - 5x. A larger nymph would be fished on heavier tipper like 3x, 4x is average, and 5x for clear water and smaller nymphs. A large heavy nymph would snap off a 5x or lighter tippet, and a small nymph on 3x would likely cause the fly to drag. 4x is a good place to start. HTH.

I use 5x because of it's strength; yet length from my "in-line" indicator.

If the tippet goes through the eye of the hook, you'll be fine.

On dry/dropper rigs I usually attach the dropper with 6x for drag purposes.

Just remember, fish can see it if it's 12x or 0x. They both look like telephone cable coming out of the head of the fly.

Orvis sez:
http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2202

Honestly, I don't put this much thought into it. I generally stick to 5x, and move up to 4x when the flies become big, leaded, streamers.

For droppers, its 6x because I want them to sink ASAP and I don't want to think about the line hanging down from the dry hook, although I usually don't mind the top as anything but an indicator.

I don't think about it much either, generally 4x or 5x, unless its midges or something, then I'll go to 6x.

The only time I do is if I'm using a true dropper rig. The dropper has to be on fairly stiff tippet, and fairly short, or else it'll just wrap around the leader. 2x or 3x often in those cases, knotted to 5x for the point fly.

thanks for the info.

Looks like I agree with most others...typically I use 4 x for flies up to size 14/16, then 5 x for a dropper. I go to 6x if I am fishing tiny midges or tricos.

Back