Last time I fished was 6 years ago!

Pauly

Pauly

New to the forum and somewhat new to fly fishing. I started about 10 years ago. Then my children came and free time ran for the hills.
I got the bug to go fishing; so, when I got my gear together, I found my license holder with a license from 2006. That was the last time I went fishing. I thought to myself "wow". Some people can keep on doing their thing even with major life changes like children. But my circumstances did not afford me those opportunities.
Well now I'm ready to go again. I rounded up all my fly fishing books to get back in the swing of things. I fished the East Branch Perkiomen Creek which is 2 blocks from my home here in Perkasie. I think the only fish in there are the recently stocked fish! I had absolutely no luck the last two days. I'm sure its me. My presentation is no better than if I threw garden hose at them. But I'll keep at it this week. Its a fine way to re-hone my roll casting and such.
I spent 6 hours on Friday. I told my wife I'd be back in two. I got so lost in reacquainting my self with all of it that I didn't care about not catching anything on my way home. I had very low expectations for that creek anyway.
Next weekend I'm heading up to the Little Lehigh. I'm looking into a new rod and reel. I have an old pflueger that is to heavy for what I'm doing. So Ill keep practicing with it which should make my new rod that much better by comparison.

So after The Little Lehigh, I'm heading to Valley Creek.
What Rod and line weight should I look for based on my future plans?

You should be good with a 5 or 6 wt. The sunny, windy, low clear water conditions have a lot of us frustrated. On a cloudier calmer day, especially after some rain you can expect to do better.

Hello Pauly

Welcome to the jungle....

Seems like the all-around recommendation is usually a 5 weight.

Some days you spray the skunk, some days the skunk sprays you.....Keep at it and remember, they call it fishing, not catching. ( I get to say that cause I had a good day after whining about a couple of not so bad ones :). )

Dave

Back