Knot tying from fly line to Leader

Walleigh_World

Walleigh_World

Just wondering what is the best/easiest knot to tie from the fly line to leader. I have tried the "nail" knot but it was a little too hard, if anyone has an easier knot that is just as strong please let me know.

Nail knot a piece of mono on the end with a perfection loop in the end. Perfection loop your leaders, problem mostly solved.

The perfection loop is easy, and any good fly shop should help you with a nail knot if you can't get it with practice. I own a tool called a Tie-Fast (functionally the same as this that makes nail knots completely painless. I bought mine at Dick's or Walmart, and it was well worth the $10 I paid for it.

I will definitely run out to my local Dick's and see if i can find one, if not ill have to run out to cabela's on a free weekend day. Sounds well worth it, i spent 30+ agonizing minutes trying to tie the nail knot, and ended up just quitting haha.

Try Walmart, too. I know I got this thing in my first forays into fly fishing, when I had a handful of gift cards from work and no clue, so it had to be one of those two stores, and I'm more likely to pick Dick's.

There's also a version without the nippers.

Theres a knot I was shown called a Duncan loop. It sure looks alot like a nail knot to me only without tools. Very, very easy to tie with minimal size and interferance.

Hmmm, I cant seem to find the right knot application but this one of tying a fly to the leader can give you the idea. Give it 4 wraps through the hole instead of 3 for this application
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8wEM8iWPzo
Maybe some of the cyber pros know where to find it. :)

I agree with gfen on the Tye Fast tool, I have one too and if you read the directions on the back you will be tying nail knots in 2 seconds. A nail knot is what I tend to use, it doesn't get hung up in the guides as much as a loop.

WW,
I build a small, tight loop at the end of my fly lines using a strong fly tying thread and glue. Then simply use an improved clinch knot to tie the butt of the leader to this loop. I've been doing this for many years and have never had this connection fail.

Since I have such a hard time tying nail knots anymore, I wait till I go up to Coburn and I get either Jonas or Jim to tie them for me, they're glad to do it for me. In a pinch I'll use a loop to loop, just don't like them. It ain't easy gettin old!

PaulG

Wallace, we need to get you some new fly line with a loop, or just a loop. Theres weight forward floating orvis line (what I have) on ebay for 7 dollhairs.

I'll talk to you about it in school tomorrow

another option is to use these:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1051

they are braided loops that attach to the end of your fly line. They are a little tricky to get on your line (you have to thread the fly line into he middle of a braided line) - but once on you can make them permanent with a drop of super glue. I use these on both of my rods, and they work great. leaders can then be attached via loop to loop connection (you'll have to tie perfection loops onto the end of your leader). super-easy to switch out leaders...

pratt wrote:
another option is to use these:

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=1051

they are braided loops that attach to the end of your fly line. They are a little tricky to get on your line (you have to thread the fly line into he middle of a braided line) - but once on you can make them permanent with a drop of super glue. I use these on both of my rods, and they work great. leaders can then be attached via loop to loop connection (you'll have to tie perfection loops onto the end of your leader). super-easy to switch out leaders...

Nearly everyone I know who has ever used these finds them unreliable. If you do go that route, make sure you put a couple drops of super glue or it will come off at some point.

Here is another site and another knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=

If you have trouble tying a nail knot and don't like the braided loops there is a little gadget out there that is basically a small diameter opaque plastic gizmo to join the leader to the fly line. It is about 1/2" long and no more than 1/8" diameter. There is a small diameter hole runnig through the center and a slot on either side. You insert the tip of your fly line through one end and pull it out the little slot and tie an overhand knot in the end and pull it very tight and cut off the tag end. Then pull on the fly line and it will be contained inside the gizmo. Then push the butt end of your leader though the opposite end and repeat the overhand knot on the butt end, pull tight and cut off the tag end and pull it back down. Now your fly line and leader are nicely joined and the ends of this little joiner are tapered so it will not get stuck in your tip top should you have to reel in past the tip top to land a fish.

I personally prefer using anail knot as it is the traditional method of securing the end of the fly line to the leader butt. However it seems many manufactuers of fly lines are now making them with little loops integral to the line. You can't even see how the loop is made. Lines with this loop can be loop to loop with the Perfection loop on the leader.

Bass Pro sells these connectors. Here is a link;

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_2460?cm_mmc=CSE-_-nextag-_-38-491-425-02&hvarAID=46KY&mr:referralID=68c61826-50a8-11df-a218-0026b9571fcb

Actually ran out to Dick's today, came across these http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003291310820a.shtml
Was wondering what you guys thought, I hear alot of problems with the heat shrink tubing (melted fly line). a good 6 dollar purchase?

Put a loop in your line. You don;t want to have to e tying nail knots streamside anyway. Or just get someone who knows how to do the mono loop thing someone suggested and you'll never have to do it again.

Walleigh,

http://cgi.ebay.com/Orvis-Green-Mountain-Fly-line-WF4-Floating-WF-NEW-fish-/380183496530?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5884b3c752

Dude buy that, Comes with a loop already on it. Its the same line I had. It will cast 10x better and float better too. Or if you wanna buy me Rio Mastery Line I can give you mine :-D

Cabela's prestige lines also come with welded loops. They are cortland lines with the cabela's brand name. They come in at under 30 bucks.

But the one nativebrookie posted is the route I'd go.

Yeah its just too cheap. I have used it for a year or two now. I want new line, but for what you get for 15 bucks, its pretty stinkin good.

Just a side question (not to hijack from the thread entirely), are you guys recommending a loop to loop as the best connection between the leader and line due to the lack of tools needed to attach streamside? Is it bad practice to actually clip the butt of the leader (assum ing a loop to loop wasn't used) when changing out leaders?

Back