Killed 2 birds with one stone today......

K

Keith

Pretty big step forward for me today as I caught my first five trout ever nymphing and they were also on my own hares ear ties. Did a lot of research over the winter and finally ditched the bead heads and added split shot instead. The indicator was useful on the drift but I could actually feel the hit on the couple I got below me on the swing. I've always been quick to pick up the spinning rod when there is no risers but after today I'm sure I'm about over that. (I will always be partial to a cp swing on a cloudy stream though).....can't wait to nymph again

Congratulations on the milestone.

Way to go! I usually, not always, skip the bead and heavily wrap with lead wire for faster water.

You may want to keep a few of the bead heads around anyway. There is at least one stream I fish where any non-BH nymph is ignored. Switch to the same size / pattern but with the BH, and the fish are all over it. Not sure why that is, but that's the way those trout in that water roll I guess. Most of the patterns I use I do throw a BH on, though I do keep at least two non-BH of each pattern with me too.

I too offer my congrats! I too second the notion to NOT ignore the BH. My go to fly just about anywhere is a weighted, beaded, frenchie.

Back