Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Is making your own leaders worth the trouble?

From Fairborn, OH
As a part-time spinning/baitcast tackle guy, I have all sorts of mono and fluoro line laying about and got to thinking about making my own leaders. I would have to do some YouTube research on the process, but it seems like it could be worthwhile if the time spent doing it is worth it. What say ye?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 15:33

Re: Is making your own leaders worth the trouble?

From Ephrata, PA
Yes. I came into a bunch of spools of mono and started making my own leaders about 3 or 4 months ago. I like that they're customizable. I can make what I want for my small stream rods, etc. The material goes a long way too.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 15:49

From Lancaster Co.
No.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 16:12

From Philadelphia PA
I never liked the premade ones....I make my own always... Normally it is a 3' 10lb to 5' 6lb to 3' of 2lb. as Mono to Mono to Flouro combination on my 3wt or 5wt rods.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 17:17
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

I've never made my own leader, but have used hand tied leaders. Seeing as how I only use off the tippet, a tapered leader lasts me a long time. Plus I like to keep knots to a minimum due to drag.

For the price of a tapered leader, I've got better things to do with my time than tie up leaders that I feel are inferior to tapered leaders.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 19:38
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From Souderton PA
If you consider it trouble, them probably not. If you enjoy making them and have the time to invest in learning to do it right, them you won't be happy otherwise. But if you think about it, that is true of just about anything.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 21:09

Yes, I make all of my own. I even make Polish leaders with colored amnesia sighters. I think it is worth it. I bought a leader tying kit from FlyFishers Paradise many years a go and it has served me well.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 22:15

From Carbon County
Why tie your own leader?

Tying your own leaders cost pennies compared to factory made leaders costing up to $3 or more.
The flexibility to tailor your own leaders to specific fly fishing conditions.
The advantage of creating your own tapered leader to match your own style of fly fishing, the way you cast, the type of flies you throw and water conditions versus being stuck with a commercially made leader.
It’s much easier and quicker to change and re-tie a new hand-tied leader when the local fishing conditions change.
You will get great satisfaction knowing you had direct input on how your fly was presented, similar to catching your first fish on your very own hand-tied fly.
I stole this off another website but it pretty much says it all.

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:17

From Fairborn, OH
Nice variety of opinions on this one. Thanks for the inputs!

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:33

From Central PA
can PennypackFlyer parallel park a train?

Posted on: 2013/9/18 23:41

From Johnstown, PA
Yes it's worth it just for the feel of having something you made work out = self gratification........heh

Posted on: 2013/9/19 7:06

From Ohio
Depends on the ciurcumstance. I think hand tied leader formulas are better for dry fly fishing (Harvey slack leader) and nymphing (colored mono sighter tied into leader), I use hand tied leader for these purposes.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 7:36

From Chester County
LeaderCalc is a great place to find nearly every kind of leader configuration for all types of fishing. You can download it in an XL spreadsheet from the link.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 7:49

From Christiana, Delaware
Quote:

osprey wrote:
Yes it's worth it just for the feel of having something you made work out = self gratification........heh

I say yes, for this reason alone:)

Posted on: 2013/9/19 7:59

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I make my own.

From a money perspective, it's not expensive either way. If I buy a leader tying kit for $30, most of that is gonna last me 10 years. A leader probably costs me less than a quarter in the end, not counting tippet, but tippet is needed either way. Store-bought leaders aren't expensive either.

Nor is it that time consuming. I can make a leader in 5 minutes sitting in front of the tv. It takes more time to gather the materials and find the tape measure than it does to punch out a couple of leaders. Tying flies, now I'm slow at that. Leaders, not so much.

Personally, I like my leader material to be much stiffer than most store bought knotless ones. Meaning the butt and the taper, I do like soft tippets. Stiff leaders just turn over much better. And I think with the places I fish the most, I value control and accuracy over drag. I can work on drag via other methods. But if I can't throw a tight enough loop to get up under that branch, I'm sunk.

However, you CAN buy pre-made leaders that are stiff enough, you just have to be a bit selective.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to flexibility for me. I adjust leaders to the conditions a lot. A knotless leader from the store is gonna end up with knots all through it anyway, when I shorten the butt or the mid-section the next time I'm out. I'd never be able to buy a leader and just use it unaltered for any period of time. I'd hit that spot where I want it shortened, and I'd shorten it. Then I'd hit another spot where I want it longer, and lengthen it. Why not just have a handmade one to begin with? At least then I know what size each section actually is, rather than have to mic it or guess.

I don't think it's "necessary". I'd advise a true beginner to buy a couple of different leaders and hold off on making their own until they get better. But if you're not a full on beginner, and looking to take that next step, yes, I'd advise making your own. Leader construction is an underrated aspect of this game, it's probably more important than what fly is on the end of the line.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 8:21

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com