Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Is making your own leaders worth the trouble?

From Bel Air, MD
I haven't bought a leader for about 3 or 4 years - been fly fishing for about 6 years. I enjoy it, and tend to tie a few at a sitting, while watching a movie or something. It's also part of my preparation the night before I go fishing.

Like others have said, I don't do it necessarily to save money, I just enjoy it. If you do start, I STRONGLY recommend investing in a blood know tool.

Posted on: 2013/9/28 23:39

From Fairborn, OH
Ok, this thread piqued my interest enough to make a cursory go at tying some blood knots in spare mono/fluorocarbon line I had laying around of various weights. I actually found myself to be pretty good at it, even minus the tool. So, I may be taking my father-in-law up to a creek in Utah for a brief run tomorrow with my first hand-tied leader just for the hell of it.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 2:48

From Clinton County, Pa.
To me tying your own leaders is much like tying your own flies. You can customize either one anyway you like and don't have to accept whatever the fly shop may offer.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 14:34

From Ferguson Twp.
You really do not need to screw around with a blood knot. A water knot also known as a surgeons knot will do just as nicely and is so much easier & faster to tie.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 16:53

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

lv2nymph wrote:
You really do not need to screw around with a blood knot. A water knot also known as a surgeons knot will do just as nicely and is so much easier & faster to tie.
The surgeons knot is easier and faster to tie but the downside is the two pieces tied together are not straight. They are straight as a new arrow when tied with the blood knot.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 17:35

From Ferguson Twp.
You are correct they are not arrow straight, "barely". That being the only downside when comparing these two knots I'll take the one I've been using a long time without issues. But I can see where a certain number of people would have an issue with what you have brought up. Like a lot of things in fly fishing everyone has their tried and true way of going about things. Just wanted to give someone new to making leaders a good, fast way to make a leader, and or repair a leader with time running out quickly in fading light. Honestly with fish rising (you have a hot pattern)and 15 minutes of light left and you have to put two knots in your tippet to be back fishing which two knots would you want too tie? It's an honest question please do not take this as a punch.
Jack.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 18:28

From SEPA
put it through a third time for a "triple surgeon's loop," and it lays straight.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 21:23

From Ferguson Twp.
There ya go, problem solved for everybody. Oliver showed me that knot many years ago in my bsmt, he called it a two turn water knot. Never bothered to do it any other way. Until now. Thanks Gary.

Posted on: 2013/9/29 22:11

From Da 'Berg, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
The knot that I have trouble with is the line-->leader connection, which is gonna be there whether it's store bought or not. I do use the Loon product to smooth it up, and it helps.

pc - I use rod wrapping silk over the nail knot and then 3 coats of softex to provide a smooth flexible connection.

that prevents hinging on the cast and the line connection hanging up on the top eye with a big fish on.

Posted on: 2013/9/30 20:00

From Philadelphia
Man, I'm all over the place about this. I love furled leaders for the longevity and ease of simply tying on a new tippet. Then I get into a small spot and want something that has a taper that will turn over smooth and easy in a tight loop. Then I just think a knotless leader that I can clip off at the tippet, tie on a surgeon's and keep clipping back simply gets me through a day with little fuss and better accuracy when I'm fishing on top. Sometimes I forget it's just fishing....Jeez, just I write that???? :)
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/10/1 17:59

From Da 'Berg, PA
+1 on the triple. Which is my go to. Conversely, for droppers use the double to 'space' the flies.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 18:54

From Souderton PA
Blood knots are not that bad, they just take practice. The biggest mistake people make is not leaving long enough tag ends to manipulate when tying the knot. Forget the tool and carry a spool of leader material with you. You will be surprised how often you have time to practice knots. Watching TV, waiting at the Dr office, teleconferences at work... I tried at church once, but don't recommend it. Triple surgeons are great for the tippet and last section or two. Blood knots are less bulky for the butt and transition sections, and the easiest way I know to tie on a new leader to a nail knotted section of butt material.
Mike.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 20:46

From Bel Air, MD
I agree with what a lot of guys have said here - it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer a nice, neat blood knot mostly because they look cool when tied properly, and you can trim the tag just about flush with the knot. When I am on the stream, I don't tie a blood knot to attach a new piece of tippet, I use the triple surgeons loop.

Sure, you can practice the knot, but for $12 or so, you can get the tool and tie one in about 20 seconds. Well worth it for me.

Posted on: 2013/10/1 22:36

From Fairborn, OH
Well, for the moment, I stuck with what I had and went with blood knot leader I made a couple days ago to fish a river I hadn't previously explored today. I just posted a report detailing the results:

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open- ... first-hand-tied-leader/21,32382.html

All in all, it worked out very well. I surprised that the knot points didn't collect any debris all day, something I was all but certain that I would have to deal with but thankfully didn't. Casting was smooth and the leader stood up to solid 6 hours of fishing without breaking.

Posted on: 2013/10/3 1:59

From Ohio
For dry fly leaders, I am lazy and use the knotless tapered ones, plus I think they drift better.

Streamers and warmwater leaders are a different story. I learned in salt, so I tie those myself. The main reason being that I can completely customize. I tie streamer/warmwater leaders with 50lb butts on them tied with modified Yucatan knots (basically an easy tie albright, which I love because I can tie it blindfolded), unless Im level lining 3 feet of mono off an intermediate tip. 50lb seems extreme, but with Rio OBS it gets much better turnover. I keep a few pre looped 50lb and 25lb butt sections in my leader wallet. When one gets beat up, I just attach a new but, tie in a short transition section and the class tippet and I'm good to go.

I use Trilene Big Game instead of Mason for the butt. I save the Mason for bite guards. I think its too stiff for a butt section, and the Trilene is more supple.

Posted on: 2013/10/4 9:51

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com