Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Is making your own leaders worth the trouble?

From Philadelphia PA
Yes I can, Why do you ask?

Posted on: 2013/9/19 10:49
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Lehigh Valley
Just wanted to add sometimes store bought leaders help in not haveing knots that get stuck on stuff...this can be stuff in the water, bank etc but also your guides when using extra long leaders

Posted on: 2013/9/19 13:47

From Philadelphia PA
PhilC: I'm not following your logic!

Posted on: 2013/9/19 19:19
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Fairborn, OH
I believe that he's just pointing out that a tapered, store-bought leader doesn't have connecting knots between sections that can pick up junk (loose plant matter, mud, etc) during casting, drifting and reeling in fish.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 20:50

From Ferguson Twp.
Yes, very much so.
Pliobond takes care of the knots.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 21:20

From Central PA
Quote:

PennypackFlyer wrote:
Yes I can, Why do you ask?

lol....we should try feeding salmon we catch to grizzly bears.
mosquitoes refuse to bite him purely out of respect.

Posted on: 2013/9/19 21:48

From Fairborn, OH
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
LeaderCalc is a great place to find nearly every kind of leader configuration for all types of fishing. You can download it in an XL spreadsheet from the link.

I don't know how I missed this post, but thank you very much!

Posted on: 2013/9/19 22:06

From Philadelphia PA
I don't have any problems with knots catching anything. The problem that I do encounter quite often is the hooks not catching what I want. Thus spinning and creating line tangle from time to time.
I thought about using a swivel somewhere along the line - however I believe that this would change the dynamics of the cast too great. maybe one of those new plastic light weight ones.

I have seen TV shows where salmon are taken by bears from flyfisher lines. Talking about scary. Not something I would like to encounter.

Posted on: 2013/9/21 7:49

From Clinton County, Pa.
I have two close friends who were my mentors when I started to fly fish. One is a member here. They both taught me to tie my own leaders from the start. I have never bought a leader from a store. IMO tying your own leaders just adds something extra to the mix. To me it's as natural as tying my own flies.

Posted on: 2013/9/22 21:57

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Six-Gun wrote:
I believe that he's just pointing out that a tapered, store-bought leader doesn't have connecting knots between sections that can pick up junk (loose plant matter, mud, etc) during casting, drifting and reeling in fish.

Yep...
And if you're using a long leader, say 15+ ft with a 9 ft rod...when you're reeling in a fish you will have to bring some of the leader into the guides which can cause the knots to get stuck, this can be a bad time for a malfunction...there must be many that don't get this logic since you usually find bargains on 12ft tapered leaders...

Posted on: 2013/9/24 13:21

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
The knot that I have trouble with is the line-->leader connection, which is gonna be there whether it's store bought or not. I do use the Loon product to smooth it up, and it helps. But I don't see the homemade leaders as any more of a problem for guide issues than the storebought, tapered ones.

I would echo the picking up weeds, though. Rarely a major problem, but it happens on occasion, and tapered leaders are better for this. Of course, then you can mention the advantage of having a "stop" to keep your indicator from slipping too far, if you use one.

Plus's and minus's to everything, I guess. For me, flexibility outweighs everything.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 14:25

From Berryville Virginia
Buy a few silk furled tapered leaders attached your tippet and fish.

Joe E

Posted on: 2013/9/27 12:02

From Fairborn, OH
I have looked at the furled leaders as another option, but I also kind of admire the notion of making your own, purely as another way to enjoy the sport. I guess wanted to get a sense of whether or not the level of effort justifies the pursuit. Seems like a lot of guys do enjoy the satisfaction of making their own.

On that note, any suggestions on which kit to get? Is there even a difference worth noting?

Posted on: 2013/9/27 12:54

From Dauphin
Absolutely not. For self grat sure. For about 5 years I used one straight piece of 5x tippet. However long you want it. And ill be straight honest I've only had more problems when making my own. More knots more break offs. People say well that makes no sense and doesn't seem "ethical." If you can cast a leader and not turnover a straight piece of tippet you can't cast. Easiest way to get ready and setup too. Sure ya use more tipp. But everyone has their way. I was never lucky enough to have anyone teach me. I am self taught fly fishermen.

Posted on: 2013/9/27 14:32

From Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
I used the following website to make my own furled leaders:

http://www.hatchesmagazine.com/page/may2006/187

It's really not that difficult and I have made them with different material - fluorocarbon fishing line, fly tying thread, Monofilament fishing line. It was a good winter project.

Don

Posted on: 2013/9/27 14:33

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com