Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

I need some help with midge fishing.

Long story short,I just got back into fly fishing last year,after being away for over 30 years.
Today I was fishing a dry fly with a size 22 Black Beauty midge as the dropper.I missed close to ten fish today when they hit the midge.When I saw my dry fly go under,I tightened my line,but the fish would either be hooked for a split second or I'd just miss it. I'd see them flash,when I tightened my line,but then they were gone.
Am I setting the hook too soon,or should I wait a little longer to set the hook? I don't really set the hook,I just put tension on the line,should I set the hook a little harder?
I took the size 22 off and put an 18 on,thinking that I'd have a better chance to hook up,but they didn't want the 18. I put the 22 back,and I was back to missing them again.
My fly rod has a very soft action ,and I was thinking maybe it doesn't have enough back bone to set the hook?
Thanks in advance.
Ralph
P.S
I do set the hook by moving my fly rod down stream of the fish.

Posted on: 4/10 20:58

Re: I need some help with midge fishing.
From Chester County
Quote:

ralphs007 wrote:
Long story short,I just got back into fly fishing last year,after being away for over 30 years.
Today I was fishing a dry fly with a size 22 Black Beauty midge as the dropper.I missed close to ten fish today when they hit the midge.When I saw my dry fly go under,I tightened my line,but the fish would either be hooked for a split second or I'd just miss it. I'd see them flash,when I tightened my line,but then they were gone.
Am I setting the hook too soon,or should I wait a little longer to set the hook? I don't really set the hook,I just put tension on the line,should I set the hook a little harder?
I took the size 22 off and put an 18 on,thinking that I'd have a better chance to hook up,but they didn't want the 18. I put the 22 back,and I was back to missing them again.
My fly rod has a very soft action ,and I was thinking maybe it doesn't have enough back bone to set the hook?
Thanks in advance.
Ralph
P.S
I do set the hook by moving my fly rod down stream of the fish.

I know some guys on here will scream like a yeti, but I too have experienced poor hooksets with "soft" action rods, especially fiberglass rods.

Attach file:

jpg  yeti.jpg (48.63 KB)
53_58ecafc539a2f.jpg 640X360 px

Posted on: 4/11 6:28

Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I know some guys on here will scream like a yeti, but I too have experienced poor hooksets with "soft" action rods, especially fiberglass rods.

It may be a function of what you're used to. I find I'm more likely to get poor hook sets with a faster rod. I've never had a problem with glass.

Posted on: 4/11 8:17

From Philadelphia, PA
I have had this problem before as well. What ended up working for me was adjusting how I was setting the hook. I went from more of a downstream set to just raising the rod tip straight up. That seemed to work for me!

Posted on: 4/11 12:40

Thanks,I'll give it a shot.

Posted on: 4/18 17:52

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com