How to fish a wooly worm

willdeb

willdeb

Can any body give a short description on how to fish a wooly worm.

Pretty much like a wooly bugger i.e. any way you want. I find they are best fished with a dead drift, but I know a guy who fishes a tandem of wooly worms 90% of the time and he dead drifts, lifts, strips, twitches, etc. Whatever it takes to get the fish going. The wooly worm is impressionistic of lots of things but imitates few things, so there is no wrong way to fish it.

thanks

Dead drift for browns that are at least somewhat acclimated works better than swinging wets.Rainbows will take tandem woolies fished wet fly pretty eagerly.
Took me a few years to catch on to that out west-figured there were just more rainbows but shocking surveys showed the browns out numbered the bows 3 to 1.
That was a duh moment for me.

Willdeb,
A Wooly Worm is very similar to a Wooly Bugger except it lacks the long marabou tail and is typically seen in smaller sizes. The WB is often fished as a streamer but I'd recommend you fish a WW as a nymph, meaning it's fished "dead drift." What this means, generally, is you cast the fly upstream and allow it to drift downstream in the current without any movement. You can certainly hop or pull the WW thru current but I'd sugget mostly fishing it dead drift. The WW is a versatile fly and imitates anything from a big nymph to a drowned caterpillar.

Y'know, I've used Cracklebacks which aren't much different than WWs, and I've used buggers which follow the same pattern, but never, not once, the WW.

What colour all y'all use most often, and do you stick with the red wool tag or skip it?

I got this one guys.

You put it in the water. J/k

I can't offer any solid advice because i was going to use a wooly bugger but i tied a size six which seemed too big to me and the next smallest thing i has resembling it was a wooly worm size 8.

Next?

Back