Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: How to catch and release a fish properly

Quote:
Guy, seems some of you can't read, SEE POST # 15, I talked about fighting the fish and using a net.

I'm not sure how providing additional information indicates an inability to read.

All of the tips you provided in POST #15 ("Play the fish quickly, use a landing net , wet your hands, use barbless hooks, and use forceps.") had already been pointed out somewhere in the previous 14 posts so I'm not sure what the deal is here.

You and several others pointed out that a fish should be played and brought in as quickly as possible. I just thought a little more info could be provided on that topic.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 22:15

Re: How to catch and release a fish properly

Chaz: Quote:
Cold air temps do not adversely impact trout as long as you handle them properly. Slow me the science that says it does.

Here's a list of search results

http://tinyurl.com/FreezingTempC-R

"Handling properly" includes getting them back into the water before their gills or eyes freeze, which takes a little while unless it's bitterly cold, like Minnesota or Alaska cold.

Consider what happens to anything else out in the weather when temperatures are below freezing and it gets wet- like what would happen to the end of a scarf if it were dipped in a stream. It would freeze, but it would take some time to frost over at the typical temps of a Pa. winter- which are almost always above 0 degrees F (-18C).

But gill and eye freezing will happen eventually. And I would avoid putting the fish in the snow if possible, because I'm fairly sure that snow draws heat away much faster than cold air. (Consider that 35 degree water draws body heat away 20-30 times faster than 35 degree air. Snow is probably somewhere in between on that scale.)

Posted on: 2013/4/4 11:21

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com