How short is too short for leader lenght?

arbor1

arbor1

I normally use a 9' 5X leader, but after changing flies several times the leader length gets shorter.I usually change it out when I go about a foot or so up on the leader and it is noticeably getting thicker on the tapper. So my question is how short is too short before I would have to change it out and put a new one on?

There is no right answer. For instance, on brookie streams, I frequently go with a 6 or 7 foot leader, and in trico situations, I may lengthen it to 11 or 12 feet.

But the one thing I will say is, you're not changing out the whole leader when it gets short, are you? Thats what tippet is for! If you have a leader with, say, 26" of 5x tippet at the end, then that tippet shortens and shortens to the point you think it's too short, don't change the leader! Add 5x tippet!

pcray1231 wrote:
There is no right answer. For instance, on brookie streams, I frequently go with a 6 or 7 foot leader, and in trico situations, I may lengthen it to 11 or 12 feet.

But the one thing I will say is, you're not changing out the whole leader when it gets short, are you? Thats what tippet is for! If you have a leader with, say, 26" of 5x tippet at the end, then that tippet shortens and shortens to the point you think it's too short, don't change the leader! Add 5x tippet!
My heads not on right what I meant to say was tippet. I'm only taking little pieces of leader off when I re tie new tippet. I am using tapered tippet and I usually change it out when the tippet is getting thicker on the tapper. Usually about 12" to 16" up I'll change it out. Just wondering if that's suggested.

I never used tippet rings, but if you had a 5x leader that you cut back, and put a ring on it you would only have to add tippet to the ring. It would also turn over lighter tippet if you wanted to use it. I would like to try them myself.

or tie a perfection loop on the end of the cut back leader instead of using a ring.

I like using tippet rings; you can keep your leader at a constant length and just replace tippet as needed. They will float just fine when fishing dry flies. I find them a bit pricey for what they are, though.

If you are fishing subsurface, tiny barrel swivels are a good alternative to tippet rings, as they are a bit cheaper.

Though I haven't used the perfection loop at the end of the leader, I think it will also work well. The knot is free; I might have to try it myself :)

I probably change tippet lengths 5-10 times in an average day. Purposely, for the intent of changing tippet length, not just because it shortens a little from tying on new flies.

Longer tippet gives you a longer drag free drift.

Shorter tippet improves accuracy, and allows tighter loops to get under stuff.

Always a tradeoff on those things, it's about finding the right balance for the given situation.

I'm with goodfortune here. Barrel swivels and tippet rings can make on stream adjustments cake. Though not optimal, even a tiny barrel swivel will float well enough to effectively fish dries in a pinch.

scrap all the ring and swivel crap. if you're throwing dries, tie 3 feet onto a 9ft. right off the bat. When this gets down to 1.5 feet, tie on on another 2 feet. When this gets down to a foot. cut off both sections and redo the same thing. Your leader will last a long time doing this.

Thats a 12 foot leader to start. I've used leaders that long, but rarely....

tomitrout wrote:
or tie a perfection loop on the end of the cut back leader instead of using a ring.[/quote]

+1 - It takes mere seconds to tie a perfection loop in the end of your leader. Tippet from there which can always be clipped back to the loop for replacement, but the loop is always there.

I use a 7.5' leader which allows a solid 2 ft. of tippet to work with without exceeding the 10' mark where I start having accuracy problems.

tomitrout wrote:
or tie a perfection loop on the end of the cut back leader instead of using a ring.

I use the loop on my leaders some times, then some times I tie new sections on them. All my leaders I tie myself. I would like to try the rings, as far as cost, I don't think you should have to buy them that often.

6 centimeters

This year after buying my first "pre-looped" threaded furled leader I've gone strictly with loop leader/tippet connections. Even after switching back to mono leaders for sub-surface fishing. The loops are convenient and make switching or changing tippet lengths quick and easy.

The only drawback I've ran into is getting the old tippet loop completely off the leader loop which sometimes takes a little more effort.

I like the furled leader with a ring makes adding tippet a snap. Also when snagged the tippet will usually tear off leaving the leader and ring intact

Idk i dont think id ever need a ring, I can usually keep one leader going for a really long time, and only using a few a year at like 4 or 5 bucks a pop isnt so bad

The loop idea sounds very interesting to me as a new fly fisherman, but I would have to agree with njk3395. I know it is frustrating/annoying to change leaders, but sometimes one must bite the proverbial bullet...

goodfortune wrote:
I like using tippet rings; you can keep your leader at a constant length and just replace tippet as needed. They will float just fine when fishing dry flies. I find them a bit pricey for what they are, though.

If you are fishing subsurface, tiny barrel swivels are a good alternative to tippet rings, as they are a bit cheaper.

Though I haven't used the perfection loop at the end of the leader, I think it will also work well. The knot is free; I might have to try it myself :)
+ 1 for tippet rings. I started using them several years ago and use them all the time now. I fished a Trico hatch yesterday with them, never had a problem. I also use barrel swivels for nymphing.

Too short? I routinely bass fish with leaders of only 3-4'.

pwk5017 wrote:
Too short? I routinely bass fish with leaders of only 3-4'.
Yes but Bass are not leader shy and are stupid! Ha.

Back