Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How short is too short for leader lenght?

From St.Clair
Idk i dont think id ever need a ring, I can usually keep one leader going for a really long time, and only using a few a year at like 4 or 5 bucks a pop isnt so bad

Posted on: 2011/5/30 20:03

From Elizabethtown,PA
The loop idea sounds very interesting to me as a new fly fisherman, but I would have to agree with njk3395. I know it is frustrating/annoying to change leaders, but sometimes one must bite the proverbial bullet...

Posted on: 2011/8/16 16:05

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

goodfortune wrote:
I like using tippet rings; you can keep your leader at a constant length and just replace tippet as needed. They will float just fine when fishing dry flies. I find them a bit pricey for what they are, though.

If you are fishing subsurface, tiny barrel swivels are a good alternative to tippet rings, as they are a bit cheaper.

Though I haven't used the perfection loop at the end of the leader, I think it will also work well. The knot is free; I might have to try it myself

+ 1 for tippet rings. I started using them several years ago and use them all the time now. I fished a Trico hatch yesterday with them, never had a problem. I also use barrel swivels for nymphing.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 11:28

Too short? I routinely bass fish with leaders of only 3-4'.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 10:14

From Clinton County, Pa.
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Yes but Bass are not leader shy and are stupid! Ha.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 14:32

From LV
My preference has always tended toward long leaders, I prefer leaders long than 9 feet. Anything shorter would be a nymphing rig or for streamers.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 19:51

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
My preference has always tended toward long leaders, I prefer leaders long than 9 feet. Anything shorter would be a nymphing rig or for streamers.

That's interesting. I would not imagine that statement from a die hard brookie enthusiast. What would you say your average leader set up is for fishing the average freestone PA brookie stream?

Posted on: 2011/8/22 23:37

From Enola, Pa.

I use a 9.5 leader with a extra long tippet, with 5x tippet.

PaulG

Posted on: 2011/8/23 13:02

Quote:

WildTigerTrout wrote:
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
Yes but Bass are not leader shy and are stupid! Ha.

hahaha they are AGGRESSIVE, there is a difference ;)

For trout I like a 8-9' leader and nothing longer. I have fished the 18' shanagins etc. and its not for me. I dont like casting those leaders and I feel like they can be used as a crutch sometimes, because your drift has much less drag, you dont have to worry about how your line lands on the water, and you have much better contact with your fly if you are nymphing. I fish the typical 9' leader or less because: 1, I like my leader to be about 6"-1' shorter than the length of my rod so I can hold my fly setup while moving from spot to spot and not have the loop-to-loop connection be within the rod's guides(the loop-to-loop sometimes sticks in my last guide cause of its size and it perturbs me). 2, I like the challenge of a shorter leader, because it doesnt do all the things I listed above. I enjoy reading the water and mending my line to accomplish an effective drift. No doubt, a longer leader can help an angler catch more fish and be more deceptive, but fly fishing has never been about the most fish for me.

Posted on: 2011/8/24 17:25

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com