Hopefully some help

smallie

smallie

Last year I bought my first flyrod, 9' 5wt. A member on here sent me a free flyreel spooled with line, along with just about everything needed to get started. (thanks again Cathy) Circumstances kept me from getting out at all last year. When I could the streams were pretty high. I did practice yard casting and knot tying. I felt pretty sure of myself, so I went To East Hickory in Allegheny forest. ( I live ten minutes from Neshanock)
Just wanted to be alone on my first attempt. I had a very hard time! I do know I do not like loop to loop connection. When I practiced in my yard I had a blood knot. I just bought new flyline and it had a loop on it. Anyway, there is alot I need to learn. I know the jam would be the place, but going out of town. If anyone is going to neshanock , coolspring, etc. I would love to tag along and learn. I'll be retiring this year, hopng to do alot of ff. Thanks Gary

Wow, I guess I will hire a instrutor. Thanks for the help!

Wow. Really? No one helped in half a day? I think the weekend and weather may have stifled activity. Be patient. Gotta go fish myself.

JackM wrote:
Wow. Really? No one helped in half a day? I think the weekend and weather may have stifled activity. Be patient. Gotta go fish myself.
Your right..........Just got a little frustrated with myself the other day. I'm actual a pretty patient person. Sorry if I came off wrong.

Well, I know the ANF area well, but live pretty far away now (Philly area). I'd be willing to fish with you otherwise.

If you ask a specific question that can be answered, you'll get tons of help.

But other than that, be patient. We do have a couple of members in your area, but I suspect they've been fishing with the warm weather and the hatches getting underway, rather than spending time online. Board activity seems to have taken a dive recently. There's usually a very good reason for that.

I'm really new to fly fishing myself and I'm from ohio. I would like to head over to the Neshannock sometime to try and learn a little also. If you ever want somebody to tag along with you i would be more than willing to. i know your looking for somebody with more experience but i am also looking just to get out and give it a try.

,Ryan

Maybe somebody could organize a newbee jam out that way. If you can arrange that with some of the experienced guys, it could be a great experience. I learned a lot from the one here last year. It would also give you an opportunity to meet some guys who might take you out to show you a few things. But this would all require some of the experienced guys out your way to volunteer their time, and sometimes material & equipment. Good Luck!

Gary/Ryan

If you are interested either or both of you are more than welcome to join me the next time I head up to the Neshannock. I'm not exactly sure when it will be yet, just depends on when the conditions are ok and I don't have to work (keeping my fingers crossed for next weekend). I can send you guys a PM when I know more for sure if you want. I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm willing to help out where I can.

John

I'd love a newbie jam of some sort out this way...i've been at it a little over a year, and have certain things down, but I'm sure I have developed a lot of bad habits and would love to learn more.

that would be great. anything could help. I'm a complete newbie and would love all the help i can get

Back