Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Hookset: how do I get tiny flies to reliably take?

From Hunker
One thing I do is pinch down my barb which will help the hook get better penetration, I've read that the barb on small hooks will actually sometimes prevent it from getting a good set. Most importantly, offset your hook at an angle to help with a better hook set for fly sizes 22-32 IMO

Posted on: 2013/10/26 13:43
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."
~ Ernest G. Schwiebert, Jr.

From Fairborn, OH
When you say "offset your hook," should I be angling the hook in toward the shank or slightly away from it?

Posted on: 2013/10/26 21:01

From Hunker
Slightly away from it. You don't want to push up and give it a bigger gap

Posted on: 2013/10/27 10:01
"Ours is the grandest sport. It is an intriguing battle of wits between an angler and a trout; and in addition to appreciating the tradition and grace of the game, we play it in the magnificent out-of-doors."

Smashing the microscopic barb down on size 20 or smaller is nonsense and not necessary unless the particular stream regs require it. When I was younger and started to get more fascinated with midging, I would miss the set quite often. Then I started slightly tweaking the bend of the hook which seemed to help. Then in short time bending the hook was not necessary. I've learn to stop setting the hook so fast and forceful. I've started to get the feel (timing) and gracefully set the hook. What I mean by gracefully is to try lifting your rod or twitching your wrist. When I would set too fast and hard I could feel the speed bump of the trout's mouth, probably leaving a small gash in its lip. Then see the trout try to shake off what ever stung its lip. Eventually it will come natural to you. Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 0:39

From Hunker
You can do that too, it's called a slip strike. But if your not that great at timing your hook set with that little fly, off set the hook! ;)

Posted on: 2013/10/28 6:20

Hmmmm, you can call it tomato but we over here call it lift your rod or twitch your wrist. What's it called when I use my pinky to pick my nose while I set the hook on a Brown? Forgot to mention that we would tweak the bend of the hook to left or right slightly. You still have concentrate on timing and strength of your set. Remember, you are not getting a big chunk of flesh, just a piece of skin tissue.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 17:39

From Hunker
It's funny you don't know because a few real LeTort regulars used the slip strike on small flies, and Ed koch wrote of it in his book. As for the offset hook, pretty much all the regulars wrote about its effectiveness on smaller flies.
" Forgot to mention that we would tweak the bend of the hook to left or right slightly". ----that's called off setting the hook;)

Posted on: 2013/10/29 13:32

Yes, Ed Koch was very nice and extremely helpful. I set up the table and books for Don Holbrook and Ed Koch for a book signing of "Midge Magic" when I worked at Cold Spring Anglers. Very much enjoyed working there. I still go back and refresh myself with some of the many patterns. By the way, are we not suppose to help this guy out and not bicker. I'm pretty sure your name is Andrew Bogley, Aka LeTortAner. You have asked me what was I doing or using to catch trout at Big Spring a couple of times. I've also seen you there once in a while then I would go to the Orvis Web page and see your reports. Tsk tsk! Be alot more honest, please.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 18:08

From Hunker
I've written many reports on the web and have given my info to everyone on paflyfish, so, yes my info is not at all hard to find. Calling someone's advice " nonsense" is not polite, and your opinion should be done respectively.. I don't talk to many people when I'm fishing big spring cause I always got my wife with me. Tsk tsk, nice try.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 7:28

Yes, your wife does tag along often. We would comment on how lucky you are for her to sit in the car for hours. At least try to catch a fish to make it worth her while.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 7:56

From Mechanicsburg PA
Gentlemen - let's not turn a discussion on hook "sneck" (that's what Marinaro called it) into a demand for satisfaction! No dueling sabers here please.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 12:27

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com