Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Help

From Ohio
Be persistent, it takes time on the water to learn how to fly fish. I would say that 80% of learning this sport comes from doing, the other 20% from reading, watching and talking to more experienced anglers. Get to one of the jams if you can, this is a very knowledgeable group of fisherman that are very willing to help a person new to the sport. If there is a fly shop near you, see if they have any seminars or classes, often times there will be free programs this time of year. Orvis does a fly fishing 101 at their stores in the spring, I'm pretty sure the 101 classes are free. Find someone to fish with for a day even if it requires hiring a guide. When I first started I learned more in one day from fishing with a guide than I did in two years on my own. Think of it as paying for an all day fishing lesson; it was money well spent. I went with a buddy to reduce the cost. Just don't give up, keep at it, it will click soon.

Posted on: 3/18 7:33

From Malvern
Quote:

mikesl wrote:
Hi Makee, I might have run into you on Pickering Saturday, perhaps you were walking in as I was headed out. I had some good success with a stonefly nymph. It was a great day

I think you did run into myself and a friend of mine as we were walking in. I appreciate your help that day and the pointers. I will try out some of the tings you said the next time I am on the water, hopefully I will have better luck

Posted on: 3/18 10:49

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
I was out on French creek this past week probably pulled out around 8 to 10 fish and lost just as many. the fish are still fresh and the water is still cold so the hatches are not going to be there. Id go with a big stonefly and green weenie tandem rig. I got everything on the weenie.

Posted on: 3/18 12:11

From Malvern
Quote:

marcq wrote:
I was out on French creek this past week probably pulled out around 8 to 10 fish and lost just as many. the fish are still fresh and the water is still cold so the hatches are not going to be there. Id go with a big stonefly and green weenie tandem rig. I got everything on the weenie.

I was using the same for a while, I was using a light pink worm and a red one, no luck.

I am a little hesitant about using a double rig because I am new to fly fishing and I feel that would be a little too much for me right now.

thank for the tip, maybe I will go try French creek this weekend

Posted on: 3/18 12:43

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Are you using any split shot? Now you need to be close to the bottom of not bouncing off it. Since your new use an indicator.

When fishing tandems the best way is to cast up stream mend your line anf let it go all the way down stream till your line straightens out then just lob it up stream again.

Hint fish just above the covered bridge right where the stream comes in.

Posted on: 3/18 14:09

From Malvern
Quote:

marcq wrote:
Are you using any split shot? Now you need to be close to the bottom of not bouncing off it. Since your new use an indicator.

When fishing tandems the best way is to cast up stream mend your line anf let it go all the way down stream till your line straightens out then just lob it up stream again.

Hint fish just above the covered bridge right where the stream comes in.

I am using size BB weight. I was at French Creek Outfitters and the guy there told me that is what he and his fishing buddies use. I was using a strike indicator, but it was sinking with my line. I believe it was a mini fish pimp. I took it off because like I said it was sinking.

are you talking about the small bridge that you walk in on or are you talking about the bridge on 29 that the cars drive over?

Posted on: 3/18 16:26

From G-side AKA GLENSIDE
Try thingamabobber they mess up the top of you leader but the are the best strike indicators. Right at the bottom of the fly fishing only section. You look up and there is some riffles. Its loaded with fish.
If you guys need some help I can show you just let me know if you want to meet up.

Posted on: 3/18 17:42

From Malvern
thanks to all who gave me help. I got my first trout this weekend, it got me hooked on fly fishing... caught 3 total!!

Posted on: 3/24 15:55

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com